United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 09-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
was at the game when him and van nistelrooy made their league debut against fulham at home. Honestly thought they were brilliant
That’s interesting as I recall thinking Veron was invisible that match having expected it to be the perfect game for him to dominate.

Unread 09-09-2021, 09:36 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It happens, we buy really good players and they don’t work out for whatever reason. Look at Veron as being a similar example.
I have enjoyed much of your work, but this is unforgivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Veron had some fantastic games for us tbf.

Some terrible ones too, but its still not really a like for like comparison.
would have repped if not for the second bit.

veron was world class.

and donny can't even get in a thread about donny now. he's done at fred.

Unread 09-09-2021, 09:39 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

veron was world class.

Veron had some world class games for us tbf.

Unread 09-09-2021, 09:53 PM
tatty

He doesn't play in the position we are desperate to strengthen, and when we eventually get 2 new dcm's he will be even further down the pecking order.

I can only think he was bought because someone thought Pogba was leaving.

Unread 09-09-2021, 09:56 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He doesn't play in the position we are desperate to strengthen, and when we eventually get 2 new dcm's he will be even further down the pecking order.

We don’t sign for positions we urgently need so signing players for positions we might need is a stretch.

Unread 09-09-2021, 09:59 PM
jem

Quote:
and that's precisely why donny is still here.

Unread 09-09-2021, 11:05 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
He looked like the best player I’d ever seen against Everton, absolutely ran the show.

Then got progressively worse, very quickly, in the league. Had a few decent games in Europe where he was given more space, and we played a slightly different way, but I’d say he was still underwhelming
That is true up to a point, I'm sure some of us still haven't forgotten THAT back pass at home to Boro

But even in his second season here he had his moments. For instance in the league game with Arsenal when literally everybody (most United fans as well) expected them to roll over us.

He was imperious that day.

Unread 10-09-2021, 06:31 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

veron was world class.

Don’t get me wrong, I really liked him too but we can hardly say he worked out. Just looked and he played 50 times for us

I can’t even judge Donny the player because I think I’ve seen him play about an hour in total. You can only think that by staying this window he’s been told he’ll have opportunities but with a fully fit squad I can think of one scenario where he makes the starting eleven.

Unread 10-09-2021, 11:06 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

veron was world class.

Comparing Veron to Donny is like Comparing Berba to....

Bellion.

VDB will be the best player ever to have played less than 50 games for us at this rate.

Unread 10-09-2021, 01:09 PM
atticusgrinch

The thing I liked best about Veron was that he looked like a gay pirate.

Maybe Donny needs to camp it up to get some more game time. Never underestimate the pink pound.

Unread 10-09-2021, 01:11 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Great stuff. Now we're going back to 4-4-2 to fit him in.

Any other progressive ideas?
I'd kill for a 442 tomorrow! £#%&!ing kill for one.

Unread 10-09-2021, 01:15 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Great stuff. Now we're going back to 4-4-2 to fit him in.

Any other progressive ideas?
Erm... aren't we basically playing 442 anyway? Well, 4-4-1-1.

Ole's 90's revival.

Unread 10-09-2021, 01:20 PM
tatty

I miss the days of understandable formations.

Never any confusion about where Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham were playing.

Now it just looks like a randomised collection of players shoehorned in to something vaguely resembling a structure.

Unread 10-09-2021, 01:36 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Erm... aren't we basically playing 442 anyway? Well, 4-4-1-1.
more like 4-1-mess.

Unread 10-09-2021, 01:39 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
more like 4-1-mess.
Mess-mess-1-mess

Unread 10-09-2021, 03:04 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:

2 starting DCMs? There are only 3/4 teams in the league that we should have any real trouble with, the rest we should be putting to the sword and certainly not setting up with 2 dcms against them. Our 2 dcm set was our biggest fault in a lot of the dropped point games against the weaker teams last season

I'm warming to the DonnyMcTom combo the more I think about it.

Unread 10-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
2 starting DCMs? There are only 3/4 teams in the league that we should have any real trouble with, the rest we should be putting to the sword and certainly not setting up with 2 dcms against them. Our 2 dcm set was our biggest fault in a lot of the dropped point games against the weaker teams last season

It isn’t that we need two defensive midfielders… it’s that none of our midfielders are especially defensive or any good. We need two of them to maybe do one decent job. If we had Kante or Rice, we wouldn’t need two.

Unread 10-09-2021, 04:02 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
It isn’t that we need two defensive midfielders… it’s that none of our midfielders are especially defensive or any good. We need two of them to maybe do one decent job. If we had Kante or Rice, we wouldn’t need two.
Kante speaks for himself, but getting on. I'm not sure that Rice is that much, certainly nothing like the £100mill + player being bandied about. If McTom was focused on the DM role (He plays CD for scotchland) alongside a more expansive Donny he'd improve no end.

Unread 10-09-2021, 06:02 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane

I take it you didn’t watch the wolves game

Unread 15-09-2021, 06:41 AM
windy waffles

I think he needs to accept he doesn't have a future and move on.

Fact he got hooked instead of Fred says it all.