like 47 73.44%
dislike 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It's being used honestly now and I haven't seen one game with four or five penalties. It also brings up just as much controversy now, or it seems to based on the decisions I've seen reversed.

I think it's a great thing, always have, but I think it should also be used as a tool to make the @#%&!s earning a living refereeing actually do their jobs better. I've never known a profession in the world (if you take away working for the English government) where people can get away with making so many mistakes week in week out.
We should definitely punish people for their mistakes. Hard .

Unread 18-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think they should ease it into the game by just using it for objective mistakes like offside. Between simply that and goal line tech they will eliminated the most contentious stuff right off the bat. Oh, and it has to be everywhere or nowhere; this years FA cup nonsense is just patently unfair.
I think it should be just clear and obvious injustice. Maradoona World Cup handball, Henry’s handball against Ireland etc. It shouldn’t be changing referees’ decisions because a player was a gnats %@#$&! onside or offside; or the 34th camera angle, when zoomed in, showed it barely touched someone’s elbow as with some people like burley saying llorente’s goal was handball.

The close decisions average themselves out, often in the same game, and certainly over a season or two. The clear injustices don’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
I agree that it kill the moment, though it has been entertaining in its own unique way. I think they should implement something similar to the hawk eye system; both teams are given a limited amount of appeals to VAR per-game, I'd leave it at 2 just to discourage over-usage. Means the obviously contestable decisions would likely get looked at without being rinsed game in game out for every goal scored. It does have its uses but would love to keep something organic in football for once.
Yeah, I like this kind of idea. I’d give each manager 1 opportunity to ask for a var review per game, and if he’s right it rolls over and he continues to have 1 opportunity remaining for that game. If he’s wrong, he loses the right to ask for var for the rest of the game. This will discourage frivolous challenges, whilst preventing clear injustices.

Unread 18-04-2019, 02:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I think it should be just clear and obvious injustice. Maradoona World Cup handball, Henry’s handball against Ireland etc. It shouldn’t be changing referees’ decisions because a player was a gnats %@#$&! onside or offside; or the 34th camera angle, when zoomed in, showed it barely touched someone’s elbow as with some people like burley saying llorente’s goal was handball.

The close decisions average themselves out, often in the same game, and certainly over a season or two. The clear injustices don’t.
Agreed. I just don't care if someone is half a yard offside or the ball brushed their arm. This is not what the laws were created for.

Unread 18-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
It was. Aguero was clearly offside when it was viewed on the replay.
A gnats %@#$&! over a millisecond. Close enough for the ref’s decision to stand either way.

Unread 18-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Stone Monkey

Dogshit. Another nail in the coffin for football. The game, as we know it is gone.

Out.

Unread 18-04-2019, 02:19 PM
windy waffles

How do they know when to go to VAR?

Are they alerted to it by someone or do they just go to VAR for any big decision? Or is it when a player starts shouting at them to check it?

Genuinely don't know at the moment.

Unread 18-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
How do they know when to go to VAR?

Are they alerted to it by someone or do they just go to VAR for any big decision? Or is it when a player starts shouting at them to check it?

Genuinely don't know at the moment.
The var ref talks to the ref in an earpiece.

Linesmen are also told to delay giving an offside decision to see if a goal is scored or not, and then put their flag up. Var will then make the decision.

Unread 18-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
A gnats %@#$&! over a millisecond. Close enough for the ref’s decision to stand either way.
It really wasn't mate.

Unread 18-04-2019, 03:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It's being used honestly now and I haven't seen one game with four or five penalties. It also brings up just as much controversy now, or it seems to based on the decisions I've seen reversed.

I think it's a great thing, always have, but I think it should also be used as a tool to make the @#%&!s earning a living refereeing actually do their jobs better. I've never known a profession in the world (if you take away working for the English government) where people can get away with making so many mistakes week in week out.
So you’re suggesting that since it’s introduction every shirt pull (a foul), and arm around the waist/neck (a foul) in the penalty area have been called? Well they haven’t; not even close. You see this is the main problem with VAR, it doesn’t really know what it’s supposed to be. If the idea is that they’re going to eliminate all subjective ‘mistakes’ then it’s going to be a horrendous shit show. Half the time a panel of experts either can’t decide or disagree after watching this shit back 15 times.

The proof of the pudding as they say is in the eating, and do you see it eliminating controversy? Because I don’t.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
Dogshit. Another nail in the coffin for football. The game, as we know it is gone.

Out.
Soz pal, I generally like your posts but this is pure reactionary nonsense.

It works in some form for many other sports, it can for football as well. As said upthread, using it sparingly (when there is an obvious possible clanger either way) is the key.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:11 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agreed. I just don't care if someone is half a yard offside or the ball brushed their arm. This is not what the laws were created for.
The arm I agree with, however half a yard offside and ten yards offside are exactly the same thing. Objective vs subjective; VAR should only be used for the former.

Unread 18-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Stone Monkey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Soz pal, I generally like your posts but this is pure reactionary nonsense.

It works in some form for many other sports, it can for football as well. As said upthread, using it sparingly (when there is an obvious possible clanger either way) is the key.
Had a rough day at work Pal.

Unread 18-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
The arm I agree with, however half a yard offside and ten yards offside are exactly the same thing. Objective vs subjective; VAR should only be used for the former.
If it’s obvious. Taking more than 10 seconds to decide, with numerous angles and zooming in before deciding the knee cap is a millimetre offside, is where it’s not welcome.

And even then it’s only welcome in overturning goals scored because they’re offside if play is allowed to go on to completion, rather than being stopped, whenever the ref and linesman do think a marginal call is offside. Otherwise there’s no balance - goals being ruled offside will not be balanced by offside goals being allowed. You’ll end up with a situation which usually would average out over time without var, being made worse.

So, to use var for offside, every marginal offside possibility has to be allowed to play out. The downside of this is there’s going to be a lot more goals that will be celebrated which then get ruled out by var. It will become the norm not to celebrate initially.

Unread 18-04-2019, 06:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
In the context of the VAR chat then sure. For me though I don't mind someone being half a yard off. I'd like to let the game go as much as possible so the daylight idea that came and went was a good shout. Much like the law on handball was introduced to prevent people deliberately handling the ball rather than it ricocheting off them, the offside law was to stop goal-hanging rather than someone being caught half a yard the wrong side by an offside trap. We're too obsessed with minute calls.

One of the Italian presidents said it recently. VAR has become the main protagonist in the games, What a sad development.

Unread 18-04-2019, 09:13 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
We should definitely punish people for their mistakes. Hard .
your mum. was joke. love codders. :0)
Closed Thread