United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2019, 03:48 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
at one stage pep had the same questions asked about him at barca, you have to give the manager a couple of seasons.

Ole knowing the club can only help.
Went on a 20 game winning streak in his first season and ended up with the treble.

Unread 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Proved himself in 3 months far more than van gaal did in 2 years.

The fall off is easily explained. PSG was the emotional summit. Fitness was failing and the intensity could not be sustained. And we have some right @#%&!s in the squad.
Again, he hasn't proven himself. You cannot prove yourself in three months.

United's performance level has been steadily declining for a while. We didn't actually play well in Paris.

It's good that we have clarity heading into next season. Ole is the manager and it gives a base to build. Whether it'll be successful, £#%&! knows.

Unread 11-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Went on a 20 game winning streak in his first season and ended up with the treble.
I think he may be referring to his first 2 games in charge where they lost and drew one? Either way it's a silly comparison to make.

I think we all know guardiola is a very good manager - when he's got the absolute best of the best at his disposal.

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
ole went on a record winning streak too then had quite a few injuries with this poorly built squad.

He has only been here 3-4 months its more the point that you don't know how good he can be until you take the risk that he might be a wum. After our record of brining in some of the best managers on paper to sort the mess out I don't mind the risk that ole might not be cut for it either but at least I want him to do well due to his status with the club

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Well, well, well....

Only took them a few games.....
Bit disingenuous that - you've left out the part where i said "I fear". I don't know whether Solksjaer is going to work out any more than anyone else here. But I'm genuinely concerned about the last month or so of results and performances

We're all hoping against hope now, as a club we're in a situation we haven't been in for 30 odd years. We're uncertain and just hoping based on the fact that he used to play for us.

It could be a huge success or he could be sacked midway through next season.

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think he may be referring to his first 2 games in charge where they lost and drew one? Either way it's a silly comparison to make.

I think we all know guardiola is a very good manager - when he's got the absolute best of the best at his disposal.
Otamendi, Delph, Walker in their backline the other night.

What worries me is that City's squad can definitely get even better. They didn't spend much last summer. If Guardiola is able to bring in a few of high quality in the summer next season looks a bit of a procession.

That really gives United incentive to build long term. Huge ask to get anywhere near City next year.

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Buck

Outcome bias....

He's earned the right to be manager and just like that night in Paris didn't mean he is a tactical genius, last night doesn't make him not good enough. In fact I'd say last night had more about us in terms of footballing quality than Paris where it was the mental strength and spirit (and a lot of luck) that got us through. Buffon spilling a routine save and that handball was luck. Last night we got in far more promising areas and flooded men forward but the quality and bit of fortune wasn't there.

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Otamendi, Delph, Walker in their backline the other night.

What worries me is that City's squad can definitely get even better. They didn't spend much last summer. If Guardiola is able to bring in a few of high quality in the summer next season looks a bit of a procession.

That really gives United incentive to build long term. Huge ask to get anywhere near City next year.
Come on now mate - Walker is a 50m quid right back and Otamendi last time i checked is a decent centre back and delph? Well every squad needs a utility player.

As for United having an incentive? No chance. Our club is all about short-term commercial gains. That's it. We finished 2nd behind City last season whilst they romped away with 100 points. Our response to that, to take us to the 'next level' was to sign Fred, Dalot and pub league 3rd string goalkeeper.

If sitting there watching City and Liverpool compete for doubles and trebles isn't enough to shake this £#%&!ing club out of it's stupor then nothing will. There should be some serious conversations going on in the board room about where we're headed but we all know there aren't.

"Are the profits alright? yeah. Cool. See you next quarter."

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:12 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Come on now mate - Walker is a 50m quid right back and Otamendi last time i checked is a decent centre back and delph? Well every squad needs a utility player.

As for United having an incentive? No chance. Our club is all about short-term commercial gains. That's it. We finished 2nd behind City last season whilst they romped away with 100 points. Our response to that, to take us to the 'next level' was to sign Fred, Dalot and pub league 3rd string goalkeeper.

If sitting there watching City and Liverpool compete for doubles and trebles isn't enough to shake this £#%&!ing club out of it's stupor then nothing will. There should be some serious conversations going on in the board room about where we're headed but we all know there aren't.

united have spent money they just spend it on shite.

alexis sanchez

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I think any manager would have put lingard and martial on and would have been right to expect more from them.
most of the complaints (ie: everyone other than sparky) were about who he took off, not who he chose to bring on.

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

They're hardly the best of the best though. City will surely look to sign a top left back this summer and midfield will probably be addressed. For me this City side on paper is very good but can still get better. I think getting near them next season looks totally unrealistic even if we have a great summer window.

Agree about the rest. They spend money but put simply, if improving as a team meant the world to them Woodward would not still be running that side of things after a six-year trail of disastrous decisions and mismanagement.

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
They're hardly the best of the best though. City will surely look to sign a top left back this summer and midfield will probably be addressed. For me this City side on paper is very good but can still get better. I think getting near them next season looks totally unrealistic even if we have a great summer window.

Agree about the rest. They spend money but put simply, if improving as a team meant the world to them Woodward would not still be running that side of things after a six-year trail of disastrous decisions and mismanagement.
Absolutely spot on. There's a difference between throwing money around on prize showponies to generate clicks and interest sponsors and serious long-term investment strategies.

Unread 11-04-2019, 07:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I still don't understand why we gave him the full time job when we did. He was going nowhere, there was no rush
Now this at least I agree with, and have said as much before. The suits have apparently claimed it was to end "uncertainty" - but was there any really?

Unread 12-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Cream

Finally got around to watching Ole's post match.

Absolutely zero hesitation in claiming we can beat them over there. Madman? Yes.

LIKE A FOX!

It's all about instilling belief at the end of the day. We will get smashed at the Nou Camp, of course. But we'll have a good go and leave with our tails up.

Ole

Unread 12-04-2019, 08:17 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Finally got around to watching Ole's post match.

Absolutely zero hesitation in claiming we can beat them over there. Madman? Yes.

LIKE A FOX!

It's all about instilling belief at the end of the day. We will get smashed at the Nou Camp, of course. But we'll have a good go and leave with our tails up.

Ole
What else was he gonna say?

Unread 12-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
It's not just what you say, but how you say it.

I presume you've seen and heard other managers speak before? If not, there's not much point me continuing...

Unread 12-04-2019, 10:18 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
It's not just what you say, but how you say it.

I presume you've seen and heard other managers speak before? If not, there's not much point me continuing...
No pal, never.

Unread 12-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
'There were always going to be days like this'

Unread 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
'There were always going to be days like this'