Unread 19-09-2011, 11:29 AM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Love this team.
Yep Love it.

Fantastic spirit.
I love the shit or bust, we'll outscore you attitude as well.
We could have scored 7 or 8 yesterday & could have conceded just as many

Unread 19-09-2011, 11:33 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Yep Love it.

Fantastic spirit.
The last couple of years our side seems to have become better and better at being pragmatic and seeing out games at the expense of style and verve. It just seems like this summer Fergie has just said

'£#%&! this, let's attack the shit out of teams!'

We can talk about being too open, and we are, but would anybody swap this season's football for last? SURELY the way we're playing now is what we're all about. (And the defence will improve)

Unread 19-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Yep Love it.

Fantastic spirit.
twas mental.

we've been lucky all season not to conceed that many goals and it will come to bite us in the arse eventually but it is great fun.

Torres of a couple of seasons ago would have got 4 or 5 yesterday

Unread 19-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Green top, another Crumpsall Liam.

Unread 19-09-2011, 11:54 AM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
twas mental.

we've been lucky all season not to conceed that many goals and it will come to bite us in the arse eventually but it is great fun.

Torres of a couple of seasons ago would have got 4 or 5 yesterday
i agree with what you're saying, and big smallers / evans and jones playing so well has papered over the gap left by vida and rio, but those 2 will sure up our defence when they return, nqat

Unread 19-09-2011, 12:01 PM
ScarFace

if we didnt keep giving the ball away with mong short passes, we'd of been fine. everybody did it, rooney, anderson, fletcher and even chich layed one on for torres.

Unread 19-09-2011, 12:16 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
if we didnt keep giving the ball away with mong short passes, we'd of been fine. everybody did it, rooney, anderson, fletcher and even chich layed one on for torres.
I was pulling my hair out yesterday - STOP GIVING THE £#%&!ING BALL AWAY
We seemed quite nervous at times which was odd.
The crazy thing is, if Rooney doesn't slip & he puts that pen away we'd have probably won by 5 or 6 again.

Very untidy performance, but we roll on.
It'll be interesting to see how we react to our first setback.

Unread 19-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
I was pulling my hair out yesterday - STOP GIVING THE £#%&!ING BALL AWAY
We seemed quite nervous at times which was odd.
The crazy thing is, if Rooney doesn't slip & he puts that pen away we'd have probably won by 5 or 6 again.

Very untidy performance, but we roll on.
It'll be interesting to see how we react to our first setback.
chelsea pressed the ball very high and our central midfielders were not close enough to play to offer an option for most of first half. we kept getting players isolated and doubled up on or without any easy out ball

Unread 19-09-2011, 12:57 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
chelsea pressed the ball very high and our central midfielders were not close enough to play to offer an option for most of first half. we kept getting players isolated and doubled up on or without any easy out ball
that's true, we missed cleverley's ability to shift the ball in tight areas, fletcher just doesn't have that ability. on the other hand chelsea's pressing high up left spaces and we had the balls and the skill to exploit that.

Unread 19-09-2011, 01:13 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
that's true, we missed cleverley's ability to shift the ball in tight areas, fletcher just doesn't have that ability. on the other hand chelsea's pressing high up left spaces and we had the balls and the skill to exploit that.
Aye. Especially in the wide areas. I'm not a fan of the cross-field balls to wide areas on a regular basis, but yesterday it was a good outlet for us because Chelsea shut off a lot of avenues through the middle.

I thought Chelsea closed us down in deep areas and that rattled Anderson a little. They (I think correctly) identified him as the source of a lot of attacks from deep. I thought they set up their two banks very well. Their positional discipline was very good and we needed to really thread the ball between their midfielders. We were struggling to do so and became wayward as a result. However, Chelsea lack some serious pace in their midfield and this was exposed any time our pacey players drove forward, hence Jones, Nani and to a lesser extent Young having some joy by bursting through the midfield in the wide areas.

A lot of Chelsea's joy came through just simple slack play from us. For that reason, I wasn't unduly concerned because I don't see us giving the ball away like that too often this season.
Closed Thread