United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Skag Trendy

Default Everton article on Rooney

Read it if you can be arsed-

Quote:
It's now nearly three years since Terry from Tunbridge Wells; Nigel in Northampton and seemingly everybody from the Daily Mirror were telling us that Wayne Rooney should leave Everton and move to a 'bigger club'.
'He needs to play with better players'; 'he needs more experience of playing in European football'; 'he needs to be under the stewardship of Alex Ferguson to improve his discipline'; 'a boy of his quality needs to be playing every week' etc. etc.

Okay, so they all got their wishes, but why did they want it in the first place? And what's actually happened to the boy since?

Well, they say it was because they wanted Rooney to progress as a footballer; be a better player for England and therefore mean England would win trophies. So let's take a look at what's actually happened…

We sold a boy who was, even at that time, probably the most exciting, talented and highly-rated footballer on the planet. He scored goals, he created goals, and above everything else he literally made you shake your head in disbelief. He played football like we all played it in our dreams - wild tackles, last minute winners, stunning volleys and taking the mick out of defenders at will. He was also one of us. He was ours.

So, three years on, he's still not scored a competitive goal for England as a United player, he's not scored a Champions League goal since his debut, and apart from against Bolton has hardly scored a league goal this year. Certainly not what Nigel in Northampton was expecting, was it? And certainly not the kid we let go thinking he was going to rival Pele, Maradonna and Angell as the game's greats.

When we sold Rooney, Chelsea were the new force of English football, and I thought the only way United would win the title in the coming years would be because of Rooney himself. However, in many ways they'll win the league this year in spite of him.

So, what's happened? He's playing with better players. He's playing in Europe. He's with the great Alex Ferguson and he's playing every week at the 'biggest club in the world'. He's ****ing changed. That's what.

You try moving from a small house in Croccy, surrounded by your friends and family, to a four storey mansion in Prestbury. As far as I'm concerned he's lost that hunger and freedom that made him the player he was. He's certainly not one of us anymore. If indeed he ever was.

It's just like Rocky in Rocky III, when he gets 'too comfortable' living in his own wealthy bubble, gets webbed everywhere by Clubber Lang, and then has to go back to his roots to find that devilment he's since lost. The eye of the tiger.

He's now getting played both left and right midfield, as well as even up front on his own. They never rest him and his discipline has hardly improved under Sir Alex, has it? Sent off at Villarreal; fighting in Panacea, Manchester; throwing black arm bands on the floor as well as bust-ups with half the England playing and management staff.

When you see Wayne Rooney, what do you think? And more specifically, what do you remember? For me, I don't remember the last-minute winner against Villa, the pandemonium after the Arsenal goal, or the pitch invasion at Leeds. I see a fat little ****head kissing his Manc badge at every opportunity, joining in 'anti-Scouse' sing-songs with his teammates and belittling the help he's gained from Colin Harvey, David Moyes, et al, along the way. I also see a footballer who is a shadow of his former self — and he's only 21!

For many selfish and loyal reasons, us Evertonians believed that Rooney should have stayed here for longer than the 50 or so games he 'granted' us. It now seems that, three years on, the main reason why he actually should have stayed at Everton was to improve himself as a football player and as an individual. Since leaving Everton, he's not moved on — on either front.

He's obviously still a very good footballer and he'll probably pick up bucket loads of money and even trophies at United, but the simple fact remains that he's nowhere near as good as he should have been. And to that, I raise my pint of Chang, kiss my Everton badge and knowingly smile.

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Bunker Buster

Good article, thought provoking. Thanks for posting.

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Good article, thought provoking. Thanks for posting.

Pretty much spot on though eh.

waynes ear's

Quote:
but the simple fact remains that he's nowhere near as good as he should have been
yeah, cos he's past it now isnt he

Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
Pretty much spot on though eh.
Yes thats what worried me a little bit. Im still mulling it over, thats the worrying thing.

Rooney could have been....................

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:53 PM
carlosartorial

Yawn. They are starting to rival City in the bitterness stakes.

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Terry Silver

Pint of Chang?

I thought it was done by the gram?!

Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Yes thats what worried me a little bit. Im still mulling it over, thats the worrying thing.

Rooney could have been....................
He could have been the new Dion Dublin

Bunker Buster

It does Reek a little of Bitterness but the guy does have some points.

Quote:
I raise my pint of Chang, kiss my Everton badge and knowingly smile i really am drinking Warm Rat's piss.

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM
plopborsky

remember gents its cool the be negative about united players

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
remember gents its cool the be negative about united players
Since when?

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
elephantstone

I wonder if Southampton fans are writing a similar note for James Beattie?

them £#%&!ers go 5th if they win tomorrow just shows you how shit the premiership is outside the top 4

Unread 05-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Professor

"It's just like Rocky in Rocky III, when he gets 'too comfortable' living in his own wealthy bubble, gets webbed everywhere by Clubber Lang, and then has to go back to his roots to find that devilment he's since lost. The eye of the tiger."

I don't get it, is it Saha or Evra that's supposed to be Clubber Lang?

carlosartorial

It only shows how ridiculous their expectations were for Rooney in the first place. He was never a serious contender to be a £#%&!ing Pele or Maradonna as they liked to claim at the time.

He is a good player. It's good he plays for us. That is all.

Terry Silver

Well he has reliable authority and precedents to back up his points.

Quote:
It's just like Rocky in Rocky III, when he gets 'too comfortable' living in his own wealthy bubble, gets webbed everywhere by Clubber Lang, and then has to go back to his roots to find that devilment he's since lost. The eye of the tiger.

Unread 05-04-2007, 04:01 PM
elephantstone

they deserve their Chang lager or sour bitter might be more apt

Unread 05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Pele, Maradonna and Angell
Stopped reading when he mentioned Angell as a football 'great'.

Unread 05-04-2007, 04:16 PM
tim887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I don't get it, is it Saha or Evra that's supposed to be Clubber Lang?
He was a heaveyweight, so erm O'Shea?

Unread 05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Stopped reading when he mentioned Angell as a football 'great'.
They are talking about Brett Angell. It's a gag.

Unread 05-04-2007, 04:26 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Pint of Chang?

I thought it was done by the gram?!

Right bitter @#%&! him. Kisses his Everton badge? I thought they all wore limited edition Fila tops that were only available in one shop in Hamburg in 1983 with Lee jeans and "nice trainees". Hateable @#%&!s. All of them.
Closed Thread