Unread 08-03-2023, 04:06 PM
puressence

Looking good

Unread 08-03-2023, 04:51 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Market watchers
So much for the ‘bestest paragraph’ competition. Turns out the glazers are more interested in getting as much money as they can.

They’ll be getting their money almost as easily as Market Watchers do.

Unread 08-03-2023, 05:10 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
So much for the ‘bestest paragraph’ competition. Turns out the glazers are more interested in getting as much money as they can
Disappointing for those of us who thought the Glazers would prioritise sustainability and DEI

Unread 08-03-2023, 05:14 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Disappointing for those of us who thought the Glazers would prioritise sustainability and DEI

How many times do you reckon they've done rough revenue calcs of shutting the team down, selling the brand to Adidas and selling the OT land for luxury flats do you think? Carrington would make a nice spa hotel also

Unread 08-03-2023, 05:23 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
I’m seeing them in a new light after this shocker.

Next thing we’ll be finding out is that, the bidders who haven’t made themselves known, don’t exist, and were little more than a cunning ruse to get more money from the Qataris

Unread 08-03-2023, 05:24 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
I’m seeing them in a new light after this shocker.

Next thing we’ll be finding out is that, the bidders who haven’t made themselves known, don’t exist, and were little more than a cunning ruse to get more money from the Qataris
Phoenix fund... Stays on here.

Unread 08-03-2023, 05:26 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Phoenix fund... Stays on here.

More chance of Pat Phoenix buying us than anyone outbidding the Big Q’s.

Unread 09-03-2023, 12:06 PM
Chris Quayd

It’s just as well Qatar’s investment in football isn’t to be measured in anything as tangible as silverware. In the 12 years since it took over Paris Saint-Germain, Qatar Sports Investment has spent a little over £1.5bn on players – or, to put it in terms Nicolas Sarkozy would understand, the equivalent of 16 Dassault Rafale multi-purpose fighter jets. It has inflated football’s transfer market, changed the landscape of the sport, brought the emirate to unprecedented prominence, and got past the quarter-finals of the Champions League twice.

You can see why a vocal contingent of Manchester United fans dream of something similar, of a Qatari takeover of their own. Who wouldn’t want this? Which fan, raised in a Salford terrace on stories of Eddie Colman and Paul Scholes, Ian Curtis and Albert Finney, on George Best v Benfica and Bryan Robson v Barcelona, hasn’t yearned in their heart of hearts to become a rabble of egos promoting a petrostate with a questionable human rights record?

Unread 09-03-2023, 12:10 PM
guerreiro

I was begging for the Saudis to buy us and bring in Maradona in the 80’s. They could have been murdering thousands a day for all I cared.

Unread 09-03-2023, 12:15 PM
tatty

Quote:
You can see why a vocal contingent of Manchester United fans dream of something similar, of a Qatari takeover of their own. Who wouldn’t want this? Which fan, raised in a Salford terrace on stories of Eddie Colman and Paul Scholes, Ian Curtis and Albert Finney, on George Best v Benfica and Bryan Robson v Barcelona, hasn’t yearned in their heart of hearts to become a rabble of egos promoting a petrostate with a questionable human rights record?
Which fan getting wet in a crumbling stadium, their club pillaged, watching Moyes and Wee Jimmy, Fellaini and Lukaku, Liverpool 7 v 0 Utd, Utd 0 v 5 Liverpool, Utd 1 v 6 Spurs, Brentford 4 v 0 Utd...hasn't yearned for the wrongs of the last 20 years to be righted.

Unread 09-03-2023, 12:18 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
It’s just as well Qatar’s investment in football isn’t to be measured in anything as tangible as silverware. In the 12 years since it took over Paris Saint-Germain, Qatar Sports Investment has spent a little over £1.5bn on players – or, to put it in terms Nicolas Sarkozy would understand, the equivalent of 16 Dassault Rafale multi-purpose fighter jets. It has inflated football’s transfer market, changed the landscape of the sport, brought the emirate to unprecedented prominence, and got past the quarter-finals of the Champions League twice.

Can see you’ve researched this, pal

Unread 09-03-2023, 12:20 PM
believe

Wait, I thought the idea of a Qatari takeover meant unfair advantage and guaranteed winning trophies?

Unread 09-03-2023, 01:25 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Yeah I thought some had said success would cheapened by Qatari ownership because it would be the equivalent of playing on easy mode - but given QSIs failures at PSG, surely that would only magnify United's brilliance if they were bought out and went on to have success?

Then again some have suggested that United are in the title race and that OT basically only needs a lick of paint so maybe best if the Glazers stay, or Jimbo can bring his expertise from owning Nice (7th in Ligue Un).

Unread 09-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Ethers

Some impressive mental gymnastics lads, well done

Unread 09-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Wait, I thought the idea of a Qatari takeover meant unfair advantage and guaranteed winning trophies?
Well, seeing that PSG had won 2 league titles in their history and hadn’t won it since 1994, and have since won it 8 out the last 10 years since QSI took over, I’d say that’s pretty good evidence of an unfair advantage that guarantees trophies?

Unread 09-03-2023, 02:18 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Well, seeing that PSG had won 2 league titles in their history and hadn’t won it since 1994, and have since won it 8 out the last 10 years since QSI took over, I’d say that’s pretty good evidence of an unfair advantage that guarantees trophies?
Exactly.

Unread 09-03-2023, 02:44 PM
armchair

I bet this video will conclusively tell us what's happening, contain brand-new information, and not be purely speculative.

Unread 09-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I bet this video will conclusively tell us what's happening and not be purely speculative.
https://youtu.be/Am6tgxyofbY
“Manchester United….who…….are currently for sale….under the ownership….of the glazer family….”

Unread 09-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Exactly.
What?
Closed Thread