United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Was just having a read of the Van Dijk thread and what people were saying when he signed for the scousers. By God Saffers was £#%&!ing thick.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=73
Wow...

For sage from me.

If I don’t win sage of the year this year it’ll be a travesty

I’ve been dropping sagery bombs AOTS for a while now.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I £#%&!ing wish he only made one mistake a season.
And then leave after that season.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Maguire is prone to huge mistakes, huge goal giving dopey arsed mistakes, but score in the world cup and apparently you're great stock...

He's slow, cumbersome and sloppy in the tackle. Offers very little protection for his counter CB and gets turned inside out by anyone with pace.

Remember the red against Gudmundsson ?

His rise to a £95m domestic record defender has taken him from sheff utd to hull and Leciester....

He barely scrapes into the top 10 in the premier League on paper, on the eye you wonder how he's getting picked...

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Maguire has never been as good as VVD.
I don’t recall a single person clamouring for van Dijk. I DO remember a lot of people taking the piss out of Liverpool for playing games at 40m, getting reported, then having to buy him later for 75m.

We’ve been down this road before, but neither of us have watched enough of either VVD or Harry Maguire to make this call. In fact probably 90% of the ‘calls’ on this forum are based off of things other than proper analysis. We just have to trust that the people who have analysed and know what we need make the right decision. That’s what makes or breaks a manager.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I don’t recall a single person clamouring for van Dijk. I DO remember a lot of people taking the piss out of Liverpool for playing games at 40m, getting reported, then having to buy him later for 75m.

We’ve been down this road before, but neither of us have watched enough of either VVD or Harry Maguire to make this call. In fact probably 90% of the ‘calls’ on this forum are based off of things other than proper analysis. We just have to trust that the people who have analysed and know what we need make the right decision. That’s what makes or breaks a manager.
I'm not going down that route again mate.

To essentially say 'Ole knows better' doesn't mean we cant discuss the merits of something based on what we've seen.

If it did, we'd never talk and all manager decisions would be better than the impression of fans.

You have no idea of how much I've seen of anyone.

I dont watch Kevin De Bruyne every week either but I know he's brilliant because I've seen him. What do you think of him. Or should only City fans and Pep talk about that?

I don't watch a lot of football from other countries, but I watch plenty of premier league and international stuff.

I've seen Maguire play a good 10 times for England numerous times for Leicester and Hull. Never have I thought he's a player to drop 90m on.

I could watch Messi 3 times to knows he's sensational.

Yes, there was a lot of doubt over VVD... but he always looked a classy type of player. The question mark would be if he could step up and live up to the move. He didn't look short on ability.

Maguire does. He's slow and immobile. Prone to error. I've never thought that of VVD.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:12 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yep. He's £#%&!ing miles ahead of Smalling in nearly every aspect.
I'm starting to think smalling might be the most underrated defender in world football.

buy a couple of midfielders and we'll have the best defensive record in the league. don't and we'd need paul mcgrath to finish top four.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:14 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I'm starting to think smalling might be the most underrated defender in world football.

buy a couple of midfielders and we'll have the best defensive record in the league. don't and we'd need paul mcgrath to finish top four.
I think he’s busy looking for his kid atm.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

The perception of Smalling reminds me of Jonny Evans.

Because he's been here so long, he's prone to mistakes and he's got that stupid voice, we all just hate him.

People couldn't wait to see the back of Evans. He goes to West Brom and is instantly a cut above what they have. Suddenly, people are saying what a good defender he is and he's attracting interest from City and Arsenal.

Now he's next to Maguire and there isn't much between them.

He did at West Brom and Leicester what Maguire is doing at Leicester and Hull.

But he was hated here in the same way Smalling is now.

If Chris Smalling went to any side outside the top eight, he'd instantly be their best defender and you'd get abu @#%&!s going 'yeah, he's alright Smalling' because he'd have lots more last ditch defending to make him look good.

He's a decent defender. We're just sick of the sight of him. And understandably so.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:19 PM
windy waffles

Maguire aside, I still can't get my head around there is six days left of the windows and we all have to show is AWB, a squad player with not much more to his game than pace and a lot of 'bloody good looks'.

It's an absolute shambles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Wow...

For sage from me.

If I don’t win sage of the year this year it’ll be a travesty

I’ve been dropping sagery bombs AOTS for a while now.
Nothing like blowing your own trumpet eh, pal?

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
utd99

Quote:
I'm not going down that route again mate.
We don’t have to, and to reiterate at no point have I ever suggested the subject shouldn’t be discussed. This is a United forum and we discuss United.

What I am suggesting however is that there is difference between proper analysis and shite analysis. Whatever I may think of the move -and I believe he’s not worth 80m, though I’m not entirely sure what ‘worth’ even is anymore- I’m also pretty sure that Solskjaer hasn’t decided he’s the player we need based off of an England game being on while he was doing the ironing.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
The perception of Smalling reminds me of Jonny Evans.

Because he's been here so long, he's prone to mistakes and he's got that stupid voice, we all just hate him.

People couldn't wait to see the back of Evans. He goes to West Brom and is instantly a cut above what they have. Suddenly, people are saying what a good defender he is and he's attracting interest from City and Arsenal.

Now he's next to Maguire and there isn't much between them.

He did at West Brom and Leicester what Maguire is doing at Leicester and Hull.

But he was hated here in the same way Smalling is now.

If Chris Smalling went to any side outside the top eight, he'd instantly be their best defender and you'd get abu @#%&!s going 'yeah, he's alright Smalling' because he'd have lots more last ditch defending to make him look good.

He's a decent defender. We're just sick of the sight of him. And understandably so.
Wow. Truth Bombs all over the show

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We don’t have to, and to reiterate at no point have I ever suggested the subject shouldn’t be discussed. This is a United forum and we discuss United.

What I am suggesting however is that there is difference between proper analysis and shite analysis. Whatever I may think of the move -and I believe he’s not worth 80m, though I’m not entirely sure what ‘worth’ even is anymore- I’m also pretty sure that Solskjaer hasn’t decided he’s the player we need based off of an England game being on while he doing the ironing.
See, that's where we differ. I don't have as much faith as you that Ole has.

I don't think this an Ole signing. At least not completely. We were linked with him last year. Just seems like a continuation of last season.

And yes, 'worth' means nothing. It can only be determined after, not before.

VVD wasn't worth £75m and now he is.

Sanchez was worth getting on a free and now he isn't.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Maguire is prone to huge mistakes, huge goal giving dopey arsed mistakes, but score in the world cup and apparently you're great stock...

He's slow, cumbersome and sloppy in the tackle. Offers very little protection for his counter CB and gets turned inside out by anyone with pace.

Remember the red against Gudmundsson ?

His rise to a £95m domestic record defender has taken him from sheff utd to hull and Leciester....

He barely scrapes into the top 10 in the premier League on paper, on the eye you wonder how he's getting picked...
Probably because from that list of 10 not many are possibly available.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
I reckon Mustafa is

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM
redhegemony

Smalling has to contort his body to play a simple pass. Decent last ditch tackler but frankly we need someone who can do more than that.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
So you throw £95m at any old shitebag....

Because he might be better (he's not) than what we have....

With obvious need for players in other positions...

Great way to run a club.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM
waynes ear's

Not our money. Who gives a shit

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:

Smalling is more than a decent defender. He’s up there with any central defender in the tier below world class. His main issue is his passing, which is a liability and a weakness which hampers us in numerous ways.

He isn’t good enough to be first choice for Manchester United if we want to be a top team again. He never has been. He’s a clear step down from Rio and vidic. Third or fourth choice is his level at united. Maguire may also not be at the rio level, but he has qualities the team needs that smalling doesn’t provide.

Lindelof, Maguire, smalling and axel would be a decent set of central defenders. But would smalling want to be backup at his age?

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:40 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Probably the same people who’ll bitch and whine about having no ambition if we buy no one.

Unread 02-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
It's more his ability for me but it's a disgusting fee.
Being mocked by the east midlands....
Closed Thread