United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2019, 10:58 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Take more time over your posts next time then. Like a day or something.

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Such a sad poster, absolute black hole of nothingness, used to think Magic was bad till this lad came along.

But if it's any chance to jump on bunks back he's in there like a rat..

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:14 AM
windy waffles

He has apparently told Leicester he wants to leave.

Arsenal have also registered their interest but have told them they can't afford more than £50m.

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Buck

Quote:
Oh look, a list, some names there....

Okay ......

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:24 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Roger Sermini
Stefan Digibouki
Mohammed Alessi
Alex Pong
Harry Maguire
Ji-Jo Jabba
Gary Marzipan
Henry Wunderlini
Nicklas Van Suker
Davide Hermatripe
Lothar Mylife
Luigi Pak-Mann
Joachim Andersen
Furmandodinhoho

Better than Bunks’ list

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
He has apparently told Leicester he wants to leave.

Also have also registered their interest but have told them they can't afford more than £50m.
Who?

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Who?
The ALSO Festival, it's only an hour away from Leicester. They must have a freak-show on or need an extra bollard or something. Leaving it a bit late though.

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Who?
Garry Marzipan

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Cream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Dayot Upamecano please.

Daylight come and I wanna go home.
Sounds like a one day OT up and comer.

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
puressence

Thumbs up

Mustafi. Jones is better fact

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:11 PM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Baiily
Smalling
Coady
Alderweirld
Nathan Ake
Issa Diop
Mustafa
Rudiger

Off the top of my head.
(Spellings ?)

Shall we do Europe ?
Not if we are being silly about it pal. Save your time. I know its Fred but I thought you were being serious for a minute.

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Going to play devils advocate here.

VVD at this moment in time is the most expensive defender of all time. What had he proven before signing for Liverpool? Oh, he looked good for Celtic and Southampton. Pretty much everyone thought he was hideously over priced, yet here he is with a CL winners medal and a breath short of a PL winners medal.

We don't have a level to aspire to at the moment. We need consistency and it starts at the back. We now have the best fullback in the league and a semi reliable lad the other side.

Maguire would compliment Lindelof perfectly. This is why we're not in for Alderweireld imo. They're too similar and the latter isn't particularly good in the air.

The price? It is what it is. Clubs will be looking at previous deals like VVD and will want a slice. Added to the fact the club has continuously been rinsed for English talent makes the price kind of understandable. Couldn't give less of a shit personally. We're about to see a 19 with one good season under his belt have his agent hold a club to ransom and command an obscene wage. 70m for an English defender in his prime seems about right.
I take your point re Van Dyke. He had proven nothing either.

To be clear, this is my point: the criteria for 'proven' seems warped and not one for the 'pros' column.

Players at Southampton and Leicester can prove nothing more than they are good enough for those clubs.... unless they are some exception where they are simply outstanding.

Van Dyke was a gamble. It paid off.

But his talent was apparent by actually watching him.

I'm not sure Maguire's is.

Van dijk is clearly the better defender by watching either of them over the last 3 years.

Ofcourse we have a level to aspire to. We want to get better. We need better players. Clear upgrades on what we have. Sorting clear issues in the team.

Wan Bisakka is a clear upgrade on Young. Right back was a huge issue. We're also buying potential and hopefully 10-15 years of service.

Maguire isn't a huge upgrade on either Smalling or Lindelof. I personally don't think CB is as pressing an issue as other areas.

He's also 26.

And for the fee, I'd want a clear upgrade. I have serious doubts that Maguire is much better than what we have.

The cost would see the end of our summer spending too.

We wont be paying £80m for him, plus another £40m for Fernandes or Longstaff. I'd rather we got those two tbh.

In short, don't rate. Don't want. Don't think he's done anything in his career to justify this outlay or attention.

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM
shenwen

What’s the issue with someone being 26?

This is getting ridiculous now

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:25 PM
messhead

Quote:

We're going for young and hungry this year. Considering on FIFA career mode player stats start decreasing around 29 years old, we'd have around 2 and a half years of him at his absolute peak before he goes on the decline. Can see why people would be sceptical tbh.

Clownbones

Quote:

Nothing.

I'd expect him to have done more. And age plays it's part in a fee.

Let's not distract from the main problem: he's £#%&!ing average.

AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
We're going for young and hungry this year. Considering on FIFA career mode player stats start decreasing around 29 years old, we'd have around 2 and a half years of him at his absolute peak before he goes on the decline. Can see why people would be sceptical tbh.
Hi Ed.

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead

It's more a case of him defending/playing like he's a 21 year old kid when he should be entering his peak tbh.

Honestly thought he was about 22-23 and would be worth a punt as he'd improve...

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:35 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I take your point re Van Dyke. He had proven nothing either.

To be clear, this is my point: the criteria for 'proven' seems warped and not one for the 'pros' column.

Players at Southampton and Leicester can prove nothing more than they are good enough for those clubs.... unless they are some exception where they are simply outstanding.

Van Dyke was a gamble. It paid off.

But his talent was apparent by actually watching him.

I'm not sure Maguire's is.

Van dijk is clearly the better defender by watching either of them over the last 3 years.

Ofcourse we have a level to aspire to. We want to get better. We need better players. Clear upgrades on what we have. Sorting clear issues in the team.

Wan Bisakka is a clear upgrade on Young. Right back was a huge issue. We're also buying potential and hopefully 10-15 years of service.

Maguire isn't a huge upgrade on either Smalling or Lindelof. I personally don't think CB is as pressing an issue as other areas.

He's also 26.

And for the fee, I'd want a clear upgrade. I have serious doubts that Maguire is much better than what we have.

The cost would see the end of our summer spending too.

We wont be paying £80m for him, plus another £40m for Fernandes or Longstaff. I'd rather we got those two tbh.

In short, don't rate. Don't want. Don't think he's done anything in his career to justify this outlay or attention.
is that a C&P of a Twitter debate?

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

It's more a case of him defending/playing like he's a 21 year old kid when he should be entering his peak tbh.

Honestly thought he was about 22-23 and would be worth a punt as he'd improve...
Exactly.

That's the context. If he was a kid. If it was a £30-£40m fee that would allow us to buy elsewhere, I'd say take the gamble.

We're talking world record fee. We should have our pick of any young defender at a lesser club for that.

And watch him. He's slow, immobile. He's not looked outstanding at any point I've watched him . He and stones were exposed against Holland recently - they're £120m and highly rated.

He looks about as good for Leicester as Johnny Evans does. And he wasn't good enough.

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Nothing.

I'd expect him to have done more. And age plays it's part in a fee.

Let's not distract from the main problem: he's £#%&!ing average.
How old was Viirgil when the scouse signed him for a world record fee?

Plus he’s not average. He better than that. Not great but good. And to repeat: he’s better than what we’ve got. Now if we can line up a better alternative to Maguire, I’m all for it. If not, then let’s get this @#%&! signed. We’ve pissed money away on far worse in the past

Unread 03-07-2019, 12:46 PM
bazrah99

Quote:
How old was Viirgil when the scouse signed him for a world record fee?

Plus he’s not average. He better than that. Not great but good. And to repeat: he’s better than what we’ve got. Now if we can line up a better alternative to Maguire, I’m all for it. If not, then let’s get this @#%&! signed. We’ve pissed money away on far worse in the past
Alderweireld for £25m seems an obvious choice at this stage. He is better than Smalling/Jones and will see us to a better/younger signing in a year or two.
Closed Thread