United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
My Name is Keith

Default Re: Does anyone watch us, even when we win, and feel a bit underwhelmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Like what? Song sheets and a band? A singing section.

Sick of being told that I need to be jumping up and down and singing songs against the likes of Moscow and Bolton. It's %@#$&!s. Was never like that 20 years ago either despite people claiming it was.

The team and football gets the atmosphere it deserves. Look at the Spurs game last season, was there no atmosphere then?

Justify your decisions not to attend anymore however you like but I find it a cop-out to say 'oh it's the atmospheres fault'. You've got better stuff to be doing or to be spending your money and time on, simple as that.
Are you seriously claiming that the atmostphere is the same today as it was 20 years ago? There were matches with crap atmostpheres back then but they were the exception not the rule. And the atmostphere was in contrast to the performances back then rather than linked to it as you state now. The team do deserve a better atmostphere at OT and Ferie has said so on loads of occasions.

And for me, blaiming the atmostphere isn't a cop-out. The thing that swung it for me when I first went wasn't the quality of the football, but the excitement generate by the crowd. That has laregly gone now.

I admit that I've got other things that take my time now but I can and would still go if the experience justified it. It doesn't and there's no point me bullshitting anyone to the contrary.

Each to their own though and I'm glad you and countless others from our generation are still attending.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
wiganste

Default Re: Does anyone watch us, even when we win, and feel a bit underwhelmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Japanese bird in the scoreboard last night filmed the FULL 90mins on her camcorder. YCNMIU.
Was she fit? Did you get any sneaky pics of her?

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
dunk

I tend to just be whelmed.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Sparky***

I know what you mean, magic. But try to remember that 99% of other football supporters would give their right nut to be 'underwhelmed' every week like us. .

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I know what you mean, magic. But try to remember that 99% of other football supporters would give their right nut to be 'underwhelmed' every week like us. .
I think 'underwhelmed' was a poor choice.

And everyone is right, we have been spoiled but sometimes I believe that the players we have are capable of so much more.

Liverpool away anyone?

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Oh £#%&! off you #@&%!.But what else would I expect from one of your posts apart from sniping, pomposity and a smugness which Rafa Benitez would be proud of?

There's much more to it than our players just aren't as good.Atmosphere, teams around us being better, system changes etc but don't let that get in the way of another of your childish £#%&!ing snipes.Turd.
piss funny comments, intelligent insight, good taste in music, film etc?

gypo is consistently one of the best posters on here

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:35 AM
carlosartorial

So an armchair fan from Wales is now underwhelmed by things?

I'd email David Gill your thoughts Magic, see if he can sort things out for you.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
piss funny comments, intelligent insight, good taste in music, film etc?

gypo is consistently one of the best posters on here
We've all got posters who we rate.

I just haven't got time for a lad that only wants to make snide comments towards me.As he's forever telling me (ironically) "If you don't like marlo, don't reply to him".

Maybe he should take his own advice and avoid my posts/comments.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
celtbion

Quote:
I think it's very obvious I'm not talking about the titles etc that we win, more about our style.

Some good points made above, some predictable.The point made about our crowd is spot on too.I used to go early 90's (when I was old enough to go on my own/with mates/without my dad.My first games were during the mid to late 80's.) through to about 3 years back when I could no longer afford it and the diff in atmosphere was jaw dropping.Some of our support, from what I could see were there, just to say that they were there.If that makes any sense."Oh yeah, Man U? Got 3 season tickets!I'm a die hard fan" a bit like the Tarquin/Gooner off the Fast Show.

One thing I will say that differs us from say Mourinho's Chelsea or Rafa's Liverpool, is that we'll always go out with an intention to win and not on to not lose.Sometimes we're just quite dull, especially at home.

I think the point I'm making is - our football just doesn't have the flair it once consistantly did.
That's absolutely true.

What's worse, there are the players in the squad to play a more vibrant style of football.

Possibly, Utd play to their strengths and the "world class" players are probably at the back and up front.

Previously, we had, to my mind, one of the very best midfields I've ever seen and were perhaps let down by a slight lack of quality elsewhere on the park. Even though the club is just as successful right now, a team that is dominant in midfield will always be more attractive to watch. Conversely, you can get a winning team by being very strong elsewhere and adapting your tactics but it really doesn't look too convincing.

While Fletcher is probably none too far off the standard when he's back fit, our team displays a lack of confidence in the ability to play through and control the middle of the park. If we can get Anderson and Hargreaves fit and firing, things look a lot better. I view "craft" in midfield as a bonus. First priority is being difficult to play against there and right now we're not.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:38 AM
carlosartorial

I want to die.

ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:

I'd email David Gill your thoughts Magic, see if he can sort things out for you.
Could you ask him if he can get more than 7 people to sing as well

magic_cantona

Quote:

An armchair fan?

He's alright, I wouldn't say I was a fan.

And as I've stated about a billion time before, up until 3 seasons back, I was a regular match goer and had been for a good while.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
wiganste

I've just clapped celtbion into this thread

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:42 AM
carlosartorial

He views "craft" in midfield as a bonus, you know?

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Well £#%&! me sideways. Insightful as ever is our celtbion.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
well he plays up front you know

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
armchair

Bring back Marlo.

Unread 04-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
We've all got posters who we rate.

I just haven't got time for a lad that only wants to make snide comments towards me.As he's forever telling me (ironically) "If you don't like marlo, don't reply to him".

Maybe he should take his own advice and avoid my posts/comments.
maybe he is just doing a kerraaaaaaaazzy wum

Unread 04-11-2009, 12:03 PM
celtbion

Quote:
It is a bonus.

First things first, you have to be difficult to play against in there.

You can't have teams ghosting past your central midfield pairing.

Our defence is being criticised currently.

I'd argue that they'd look a lot better if they had better cover in front of them than central midfields featuring Scholes, Giggs and Carrick.

We have Berbatov and Rooney who both enjoy the number 10 position, there's no need for this deep lying playmaker.

Barcelona have Busquets as an out and out defensive midfielder, Chelsea have had Makelele/Essien, Liverpool have Mascherano, Milan have had Gattuso, Utd had Keane.

Why do you think Fletcher, a player derided on here and on fredtissue for years, has become so important to this Utd team?

Unread 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Fountz

Default And here lies the real issue for me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
I can't get my head around why someone would pay £35-£40 to go to a game and sit in silence/read a book/not make a noise.

Something seriously needs to be done.

Ask yourself, in all honesty, with a handful of exceptions per season, is attending a game of football worth £35-£40 ?

Seriously, if you were shelling out to go to the Royal Exchange, The Lowry or The MEN Arena every other week, you be considered extravagent... which in reality would probably work out far cheaper and provide you with far more memorable experiences.

Football is simply not worth £40 a game.
Closed Thread