Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2015, 01:08 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Drop rooney

depay left, martial up top.

Depay has played better this season than that £#%&!ing scouse @#%&!.
I'd be doing this, even if just for a few games. Let Rooney have a rest, take him out of the spotlight and put some real pace up top.

I've always stuck by Rooney but there's not a lot you can say positively anymore.

Unread 26-10-2015, 01:11 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'd be doing this, even if just for a few games. Let Rooney have a rest, take him out of the spotlight and put some real pace up top.

I've always stuck by Rooney but there's not a lot you can say positively anymore.
Yep, think this has to happen now (but won't)

Boro is a obvious chance for Memphis to find some form

Unread 28-10-2015, 11:46 PM
naes_sean

he was shit today wasn't he

Unread 28-10-2015, 11:49 PM
red in cumbria

His worst game for us yet, and there have been a few contenders

Unread 28-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Pop

£#%&! him.

Unread 28-10-2015, 11:53 PM
ZiggyStardust

After being dropped for a few games I thought he'd play tonight like he had a point
Instead he looked sluggish, casual and sloppy

Lingard well ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment based on recent performances

Still have faith he will be a top player for us but seriously needs to improve

Unread 28-10-2015, 11:54 PM
TheFatGoth

He's gonna be world class

Unread 28-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Red Al

Hope it works out for the lad but bar one game against a shit team he hasn't filled me with confidence yet.

I thought Nani was better at this stage TBH

Unread 29-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Barracuda

Looks like a lad who thought he was going to be king of the hill and has had one almighty reality check. The British game is a bit harder to play in than Holland...

He's just a young kid though and you can see in flashes that he has ability, he needs to settle and get used to the game he's now playing, it's obviously an awful lot different to what he's used to.

His confidence is shot to shit as well which isn't helping.

Unread 29-10-2015, 12:40 AM
utd99

I hate to say this but part of Van Gaal's job is to instil confidence in his players not scare the shit out of them. If it were just Depay you would say fine, but everyone seems shit scared to do anything they might get shouted at or dropped for.

Unread 29-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I hate to say this but part of Van Gaal's job is to instil confidence in his players not scare the shit out of them. If it were just Depay you would say fine, but everyone seems shit scared to do anything they might get shouted at or dropped for.
Apart from Martial.

Unread 29-10-2015, 01:25 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Apart from Martial.
Right. Maybe he hasn't been here long enough. I hope he never learns the £#%&!ing language.

Unread 29-10-2015, 01:31 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Right. Maybe he hasn't been here long enough. I hope he never learns the £#%&!ing language.
I don't know what defenders do in the dutch league but Memphis appears to be under the impression that if he fannys about with the ball long enough the defenders over here will just get out of his way or evaporate. That's surely the only explanation for his constant running the ball straight into defenders or rank bad decision making.

I mean that chance he fluffed just before he was subbed, what on earth was he doing? He got himself into the perfect position, all he had to do was just stroke the ball into the bottom right corner - like Martial against Liverpool. What he did was the polar opposite. A panicked attempt to lash the ball past the keeper which resulted in a humiliating fresh air shot. The lack of composure running through our team right now is worrying.

Unread 29-10-2015, 01:40 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don't know what defenders do in the dutch league but Memphis appears to be under the impression that if he fannys about with the ball long enough the defenders over here will just get out of his way or evaporate. That's surely the only explanation for his constant running the ball straight into defenders or rank bad decision making.

I mean that chance he fluffed just before he was subbed, what on earth was he doing? He got himself into the perfect position, all he had to do was just stroke the ball into the bottom right corner - like Martial against Liverpool. What he did was the polar opposite. A panicked attempt to lash the ball past the keeper which resulted in a humiliating fresh air shot. The lack of composure running through our team right now is worrying.
Some people just have more mental fortitude than others. Come from a lesser league and struggle initially, they either roll up their sleeves or go into a shell never to emerge. I don't know which one Depay will ultimately prove to be, but I know which one it looks like.

Unread 29-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Some people just have more mental fortitude than others. Come from a lesser league and struggle initially, they either roll up their sleeves or go into a shell never to emerge. I don't know which one Depay will ultimately prove to be, but I know which one it looks like.
It's exactly the type of thing i was inferring when I made the thread about this United team being fragile. The £#%&!ing panic that sets in is utterly bewildering considering the type of player we have and their experience levels. Daley Blind for crying out loud, who has played in world cups and won league titles, saved by the linesman after lashing the ball into his own net from a seemingly impossible angle. All he had to do was poke it out for what would have been a corner. That's the type of utter mental meltdown I'm talking about. This United team have it in them and they really shouldn't do. They are very good players for some reason that seem to have this ability to either over-think situations or just plain panic.

Unread 29-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Cream

Quote:
It's exactly the type of thing i was inferring when I made the thread about this United team being fragile. The £#%&!ing panic that sets in is utterly bewildering considering the type of player we have and their experience levels. Daley Blind for crying out loud, who has played in world cups and won league titles, saved by the linesman after lashing the ball into his own net from a seemingly impossible angle. All he had to do was poke it out for what would have been a corner. That's the type of utter mental meltdown I'm talking about. This United team have it in them and they really shouldn't do. They are very good players for some reason that seem to have this ability to either over-think situations or just plain panic.
Bear in mind Holland were the plucky underdogs in the world cup, and nothing was expected of Blind; a water carrier who played out of his skin. Now he's an established United player and the pressure to win every game is immense.

At any rate, one brain fart is statistically irrelevant.

Tonight's game should have been won by at least one penalty, also hit the woodwork. Boro were crap but defended well. City didn't show that much more intent but Ottamendi was MOTM and we hit the crossbar.

So we must be doing something right to keep teams at bay. Not like we've been tonked twice in a row.

Unread 29-10-2015, 02:07 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Bear in mind Holland were the plucky underdogs in the world cup, and nothing was expected of Blind; a water carrier who played out of his skin. Now he's an established United player and the pressure to win every game is immense.

At any rate, one brain fart is statistically irrelevant.

Tonight's game should have been won by at least one penalty, also hit the woodwork. Boro were crap but defended well. City didn't show that much more intent but Ottamendi was MOTM and we hit the crossbar.

So we must be doing something right to keep teams at bay. Not like we've been tonked twice in a row.
Are you serious? Boro carved us open numerous times and but for poor finishing and a couple of smart saves from Romero they could have scored 3.

And I'm sorry if I expect a bit more from United, playing at home against a lower league team who have lost 2 of their last 4 games, than simply 'keeping them at bay'.

Unread 29-10-2015, 02:08 AM
utd99

Quote:
In fairness to Blind, that was really uncharacteristic of him, though his passing- which is usually ten notches above our other defender's- was off as well. The thing about OT is that the crowd rarely get on the player's backs in the same way they do at other grounds so I'm not sure what his problem is. Possibly Van Gaal.

Quote:
Are you serious? Boro carved us open numerous times and but for poor finishing and a couple of smart saves from Romero they could have scored 3.

And I'm sorry if I expect a bit more from United, playing at home against a lower league team who have lost 2 of their last 4 games, than simply 'keeping them at bay'.
Even though you been a bit extreme on this latest doom incarnation, you are right to have expectations. Every time you hear a United 'legend' like Charlton or Fergie in an interview, it's all about 'expectation this and standards that', well the only people that don't seem to have any expectations are the bedwetter brigade.

Unread 29-10-2015, 02:17 AM
taff

he's looked better when he's had someone helping him out, either shaw in the early games or martial up top and drifting wide. his defensive attitude stinks but that's up to him to work on, and if he doesn't then he never will.

the concern is that his top level is below united's aspirations, but it is harsh to write him off that early. if we're looking to him as a talisman then i fear we'll be waiting a long time. i would like to see him given support, but that invariably entails dropping rooney - although maybe the consensus is gathering on that one.

Unread 29-10-2015, 02:19 AM
Cream

Quote:

But you saw the other results. It's what can happen.

Quote:
In fairness to Blind, that was really uncharacteristic of him, though his passing- which is usually ten notches above our other defender's- was off as well. The thing about OT is that the crowd rarely get on the player's backs in the same way they do at other grounds so I'm not sure what his problem is. Possibly Van Gaal.

Even though you been a bit extreme on this latest doom incarnation, you are right to have expectations. Every time you hear a United 'legend' like Charlton or Fergie in an interview, it's all about 'expectation this and standards that', well the only people that don't seem to have any expectations are the bedwetter brigade.
So Van Gaal can get players to perform at the world cup (Blind, Van P, Memphis) but ruins them in the premier league?

Or could you be right that it's the expectation at Old Trafford that affects players?

I believe the latter
Closed Thread