United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-04-2008, 11:46 PM
bruntyboy

Default Non-penalties

So that's two Ronaldo's not been given this season where the defender has made absolutely no attempt to play the ball and has played the man instead.

There's got to come a time where the referee after the game explains how the big decisions (if any) were made so that it's clear to everybody else. If they didn't see it then fair enough (as long as they aren't consistently not seeing them).

Unread 23-04-2008, 11:49 PM
thatsfuctit

lost count of how many time he was fouled tonight

Unread 23-04-2008, 11:52 PM
irk

it's pretty sinister in truth. especially in europe where fouls that would not be fouls in the english league are routinely given.

expect a barca penalty at ot next week.

you heard it here first.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Rhodzy

He was very isolated tonight but thats no excuse for him having a hissy fit for the second half.
As for his penalty, his run up contained no stutter.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
As for his penalty, his run up contained no stutter.
didn't one of the barca players run infront of him as he went to take it?

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:06 AM
RedArmy20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruntyboy
So that's two Ronaldo's not been given this season where the defender has made absolutely no attempt to play the ball and has played the man instead.

There's got to come a time where the referee after the game explains how the big decisions (if any) were made so that it's clear to everybody else. If they didn't see it then fair enough (as long as they aren't consistently not seeing them).
what about his moaning and diving ?

i know he gets fouled alot, but because of his moaning and him going down so £#%&!ing easily, that just makes the ref care less about him every time he goes down.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:11 AM
jem

Default arse about tit

he moans because refs are shite, not the other way round.

any @#%&! could see the second was a penalty. the third was only fairly obvious.

he gets kicked about constantly and he very rarely dives. his complaints are reserved under the circumstances.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Goes down too easily.

Do we want football to be a minimal contact sport like netball? because players like ronaldo want to take the game in that direction.

He's admitted that if he is touched he might lose his balance etc and so goes down, but it means a ref has to determine whether he could have stayed on his feet and whether there was enough contact to justify a foul being given - not an easy thing for anyone to do.

I dont want refs blowing for fouls everytime there is a bit of minimal contact or when a player decides he'd rather go down and get the foul than stay on his feet. I was always taught to always try and stay on my feet as a kid and i still believe that that is the right spirit in which to play the game.

Because of his approach, sometimes he gets fouls given that are not fouls and sometimes he doesn't get legitimate ones - goes with the territory. Just because there's a little bit of contact it doesnt mean you can go down and collect a free kick, if ronaldo genuinely tried to stay on his feet at all times i have no doubt that he would ultimately get protected by the refs but because he doesnt play that way he just makes it hard for them.

Unread 24-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Goes down too easily.

Do we want football to be a minimal contact sport like netball? because players like ronaldo want to take the game in that direction.

He's admitted that if he is touched he might lose his balance etc and so goes down, but it means a ref has to determine whether he could have stayed on his feet and whether there was enough contact to justify a foul being given - not an easy thing for anyone to do.

I dont want refs blowing for fouls everytime there is a bit of minimal contact or when a player decides he'd rather go down and get the foul than stay on his feet. I was always taught to always try and stay on my feet as a kid and i still believe that that is the right spirit in which to play the game.

Because of his approach, sometimes he gets fouls given that are not fouls and sometimes he doesn't get legitimate ones - goes with the territory. Just because there's a little bit of contact it doesnt mean you can go down and collect a free kick, if ronaldo genuinely tried to stay on his feet at all times i have no doubt that he would ultimately get protected by the refs but because he doesnt play that way he just makes it hard for them.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
you can burn me at the stake all you like, there's are some nice youtube compositions of ronaldos diving, quite a bit of footage, frankly i'm embarrassed that a united player has carried on like that, not the united way imo.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Luffy

did you guys not notice the barca players going down literally everytime they had the ball? it seems foreign players have 2 modes when they're near the ball, pass it or go down, sometimes both for good measure. it was disgraceful.

though there were so many fouls in that game, it seems ronaldo was the one man on the pitch who was exempt from winning fouls. and after the handball penalty there was no way the ref had the balls to award another penalty. funnily he was giving away free kicks left right and centre for much much less than those challenges on ronaldo but because its in the box its ok. what a @#%&!.

ref bottled it just as much as we did if not more, ruined the game.

Unread 24-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

ref bottled it just as much as we did if not more, ruined the game.
Nah, we ruined the game not the ref, the ref was ok, not great but pretty standard i'd say. Our dull defensive approach is what ruined the game.

Personally i think a new rule should be introduced that says 'incidental or minimal contact between players shall not be given as a free kick if one of the players goes down when in the refs opinion he could have stayed on his feet.'

This 'he touched me so i went down' bullshit is just not on imo, killing the game it is.

Unread 24-04-2008, 07:03 AM
keano's love

2nd one was not a penalty imo. ronaldo went down too easily. I think his touch was bad and it got away from him.

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
2nd one was not a penalty imo. ronaldo went down too easily. I think his touch was bad and it got away from him.
The only clearcut pen was the handball - the others were cases of incidental contact where ronaldo was basically looking for it. Penalties should be given for clear hack downs and nothing else. Ronaldo will be wanting a free kick or penalty for someone sneezing close to him next. It's a disgrace the way he loses the ball then complains to the ref. In the second half there was one point where he ran down the wing and was clearly tackled by a barca player that slid in and completely won the ball and he stood there flailing his arms demanding the ref give him a free. I'm sick of seeing him do that shit.

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Firswood Red

Quote:
The only clearcut pen was the handball - the others were cases of incidental contact where ronaldo was basically looking for it. Penalties should be given for clear hack downs and nothing else. Ronaldo will be wanting a free kick or penalty for someone sneezing close to him next. It's a disgrace the way he loses the ball then complains to the ref. In the second half there was one point where he ran down the wing and was clearly tackled by a barca player that slid in and completely won the ball and he stood there flailing his arms demanding the ref give him a free. I'm sick of seeing him do that shit.
even the most biased scouser would admit that when Marquez brought Ronaldo down it was a penalty. You're not a United fan

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
even the most biased scouser would admit that when Marquez brought Ronaldo down it was a penalty. You're not a United fan
I'm every bit a united fan as you are but i just dont believe in soft penalties, ronaldo had £#%&!ed it and so tried his luck by going down when the two came together. Ref was spot on. you cant be giving pens for incidental contact it will £#%&!ing kill the game.

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Firswood Red

Quote:
I'm every bit a united fan as you are but i just dont believe in soft penalties, ronaldo had £#%&!ed it and so tried his luck by going down when the two came together. Ref was spot on. you cant be giving pens for incidental contact it will £#%&!ing kill the game.
there is no point in reasoning with you because for a start you don't know the rules of football.

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:52 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
I disagree.

Sure Marques leaned into him but Ronaldo went down to easy. What are you suppose to do not use any strength against players anymore? Is it a foul every time you nudge someone over now?

The only definite pen was the hand ball, if he had buried that I think we'd have scored a few. When we got it I thought our luck in big European games had changed, but I just knew he'd miss it.

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:55 AM
borsuk

when you're moving as fast as ronnie does it only takes minimal contact for you to lose your balance. the marquez foul was a penalty and a red card. no attempt to play the ball (it was out of reach) and a deliberate (successful) attempt to block ronnie with an arm across his chest. he could have got away with it if the ball was there, as a 50-50 challenge, but not with the ball ten foot away and ronnie going past him.

barca should have been down to ten men from that point on.

Unread 24-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
when you're moving as fast as ronnie does it only takes minimal contact for you to lose your balance. the marquez foul was a penalty and a red card. no attempt to play the ball (it was out of reach) and a deliberate (successful) attempt to block ronnie with an arm across his chest. he could have got away with it if the ball was there, as a 50-50 challenge, but not with the ball ten foot away and ronnie going past him.

barca should have been down to ten men from that point on.
No chance, ronnie had lost control of the ball and could easily have stayed on his feet, he thought he'd try to con the ref but this ref saw through it.

However Wes Browns not so subtle push in the back of the barca player with the headband on their free kick into the box certainly could have been given if we want to start handing out soft pens.
Closed Thread