United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Vedder

Championship reds

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Zorg

The dreaded vote of confidence. Sacked by Feb.

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:51 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
there's zero point calling out ferguson. Its not going to change a thing.
Nor would he saying anything have changed a thing. Deals of that size don't hinge on the word of one employee of the company being purchased.

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nor would he saying anything have changed a thing. Deals of that size don't hinge on the word of one employee of the company being purchased.
He wasn't just 'an employee' though was he, come on. Not saying I disagree entirely but he had a lot more influence than Janice in accounts.

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:53 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
He wasn't just 'an employee' though was he, come on. Not saying I disagree entirely but he had a lot more influence than Janice in accounts.
He'd have agitated, they'd have completed the takeover then replaced him. Simple as that.

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Thanks Dunk.

Quote:
there would have been a few stirrings and a couple of protests but 'customers' would have took the place of those who would have left in the fallout.

sad but true. He was hardly Lech Wałęsa

Unread 23-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Zorg

Quote:
He'd have agitated, they'd have completed the takeover then replaced him. Simple as that.
Not sure about that, he had immense influence at the time and still had years left in the game.

In any case, what got me at the time wasn't that he didn't speak out, exactly, but more that he actually seemed genuinely eager to support them. He single-handedly turned a decaying mess into one of the world's best and most feared clubs, and then thanks almost entirely to them the club's returning to what it was. They've absolutely crapped all over his legacy, and I wonder if he ever regrets being so enthusiastic about them.

It's all immaterial now anyway though. They're not going anywhere, they'll be milking the cash cow until there's not a drop left.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:12 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Not sure about that, he had immense influence at the time and still had years left in the game.

In any case, what got me at the time wasn't that he didn't speak out, exactly, but more that he actually seemed genuinely eager to support them. He single-handedly turned a decaying mess into one of the world's best and most feared clubs, and then thanks almost entirely to them the club's returning to what it was. They've absolutely crapped all over his legacy, and I wonder if he ever regrets being so enthusiastic about them.

It's all immaterial now anyway though. They're not going anywhere, they'll be milking the cash cow until there's not a drop left.
Fergie was United’s Tony Blair. Our default status is decaying mess.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Dr Stranger

Doesn't really mean anything does it.

Results will buy him time. Defeats will make it inevitable.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:24 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Agree with that. It felt like things were finely balanced during that period and a senior figure coming out against the takeover, (a leveraged acquisition in which the entirety of the acquisition costs were put on the club to pay back), could have swung against it.

Not sure where that would have left ferguson - possibly looking for another club - which he could have found with consummate ease.

Ultimately, he didn't want to give up the incredible legacy he was creating and tbf to him, he went on to win another European cup and more titles. But it was pure self interest.

I can't talk though, I didn't want to give United up because I enjoyed it and wanted to see us win things. My excuse is that I don't think I alone had any influence whereas Ferguls almost certainly did.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:29 PM
shenwen

Cheek of the bastards

Ole should come out and let us know if he still has confidence in the board

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Seamus

Quote:

he would have been £#%&!ed over the same way the coolmore gang £#%&!ed him over.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:38 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Agree with that. It felt like things were finely balanced during that period and a senior figure coming out against the takeover, (a leveraged acquisition in which the entirety of the acquisition costs were put on the club to pay back), could have swung against it.
Our current manager was one of the few who did.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
great point Sueders, he has form for it.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Stickman

Didn’t the share price take a bit of a hit when SAF was set to retire before the end of 01/02?

If that was the case then of course him opposing the takeover would have helped.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:59 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Yep, forgot he had tbh.

The thing that gets me though is that united could easily be successful under the glazer model - it’s just that they somehow think a board which has no experience of football and a ceo who also has no experience are the right people to run a football club. It’s an arrogance that defies all logic.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Didn’t the share price take a bit of a hit when SAF was set to retire before the end of 01/02?

If that was the case then of course him opposing the takeover would have helped.
Would've made it cheaper for the takeover?

Unread 23-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Yep, forgot he had tbh.

The thing that gets me though is that united could easily be successful under the glazer model - it’s just that they somehow think a board which has no experience of football and a ceo who also has no experience are the right people to run a football club. It’s an arrogance that defies all logic.
Yep, it could be why Fergie put up with it. They'd be money to spend (and boy have we spent) and they probably understood that it was the way football was going, *we were always going to get taken over at some point. He had David Gill above him as well which helped, not Ed Woodward. They understood the game. Not a coincidence that our abject failure in on-field boardroom decisions coincides with David Gill leaving and Ed Woodward taking the reigns.

*Shame the gimps that took over us are money hungry parasites who couldn't care less about the actual football team as long as they're getting their share.

Unread 23-01-2020, 02:07 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Fergie was United’s Tony Blair. Our default status is decaying mess.
Gin for breakfast pal?

Unread 23-01-2020, 03:04 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
They gave him a free horse ffs
Then took it back
Closed Thread