United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Jack Duckworth

Thumbs down Oldham Athletic defender quits football to go to uni

Oldham Athletic defender quits football to study economics at university

The highly-rated 18-year-old centre-half has decided to move across the Pennines from Boundary Park to study at Leeds Metropolitan University.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....cooper-6030411

what a #@&%! :£#%&!er:

just study part-time, it's not as if he won't have the time

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Sparky***

Joe, who will continue to play football at uni, eventually wants to run his own business.

He said: “I don’t know what industry or anything like that at the moment, but I’d like it to be in something that makes me a lot of money!”

What, like football you mean?

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:14 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Joe, who will continue to play football at uni, eventually wants to run his own business.

He said: “I don’t know what industry or anything like that at the moment, but I’d like it to be in something that makes me a lot of money!”

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:

innit?

it's not the 1960s - every £#%&!er goes to uni these days, but how many get the chance to be a pro footballer?

i think he'll regret this when he's sat in a 3 hour lecture at 9am on a monday morning.

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Thumbs up

Him in 5 years:

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
innit?

it's not the 1960s - every £#%&!er goes to uni these days, but how many get the chance to be a pro footballer?

i think he'll regret this when he's sat in a 3 hour lecture at 9am on a monday morning.
Quote:
Joe, who has been on loan at Cumbrian non-league club Celtic Nation, said: “They were shocked at first but they understand. They said it took a lot of courage and who knows – I could be back in the game one day.”

Sounds to me he's become disillusioned because he's been farmed out on loan and not earning £30k a week, driving around in a Audi R8. Well wake up and smell reality, Joe. You're at Oldham and you're 18 years old.

If you prove pretty decent at football, which it sounds you might do, you'll probably get a move to a bigger club and earn more money. That's how football works you stupid div.

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Tronics

Silly kid

Could have easily continued to play football and set up small scale businesses that someone else could run. He could probs pay someone to do it too.

Getting yourself into £9k a year debt (plus whatever on top) just to get a business degree (which isn't worth much in the real world without work experience) is a bit daft.

But who knows, maybe he's got a few work experience positions inline for the summer etc

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:37 PM
RedMenace

Oliver Gill left United to go to Uni ffs. Ridiculous. Even if he should have been nowhere near a pro contract at the club in the first place.

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:38 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Oliver Gill left United to go to Uni ffs. Ridiculous. Even if he should have been nowhere near a pro contract at the club in the first place.
I think he probably knew his Dad wouldn't be there forever, and the moment he left, he'd be £#%&!ed off- so needed something else.

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:45 PM
forzagarza

I'd say that everyone laughing at him is thick as £#%&!. If you read the article and see where he is actually playing then it would be a pretty safe assumption there is no money in it for him. Why this is news is beyond me as loads of young players quit. He's made a sensible decision based on the fact he almost certainly doesn't have a football career ahead of him. I'd say solely based on intelligence he will earn much more than anyone who has replied to this thread before me.

Unread 17-09-2013, 02:48 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I'd say that everyone laughing at him is thick as £#%&!. If you read the article and see where he is actually playing then it would be a pretty safe assumption there is no money in it for him. Why this is news is beyond me as loads of young players quit. He's made a sensible decision based on the fact he almost certainly doesn't have a football career ahead of him. I'd say solely based on intelligence he will earn much more than anyone who has replied to this thread before me.

Unread 17-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Charlestown Rouge

I went to Leeds University with a lad called Aidan Butterworth - he jacked it in the first term to go full time pro with Leeds. A wise move as he became a household name nationally and internationally.

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:08 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
I went to Leeds University with a lad called Aidan Butterworth - he jacked it in the first term to go full time pro with Leeds. A wise move as he became a household name nationally and internationally.
Aiden, according to Wikipedia. Went on to work for Adidas, I am sure you will be interested to know

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:17 PM
irk

Quote:
I'll never find out. I'm going to quit and have a go at being a spice merchant
are you going to say oregano or oregano? basil or bayzil? yes, yes I know they are herbs

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:21 PM
when the seagulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
are you going to say oregano or oregano? basil or bayzil? yes, yes I know they are herbs
Coriander or Cilantro?

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:26 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by when the seagulls
Coriander or Cilantro?
Nazzi or Nartsi?

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Scabs

Melange?

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Depends - you can always go back to uni in your 30s (as I did), but there's little to no chance of going back to professional football at that age. I hope he never does want to go back, because he'll find it very, very difficult. Every year there are a couple hundred young pros released from their contracts - decent players too, just surplus to requirements. Chances are he'll never get another look-in, but then if he doesn't really want a career in the game, he's making the right decision.

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Pop

Quote:
Sounds to me he's become disillusioned because he's been farmed out on loan and not earning £30k a week, driving around in a Audi R8. Well wake up and smell reality, Joe. You're at Oldham and you're 18 years old.

If you prove pretty decent at football, which it sounds you might do, you'll probably get a move to a bigger club and earn more money. That's how football works you stupid div.
He doesn't even need to be decent tbh...

Unread 17-09-2013, 04:55 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Depends - you can always go back to uni in your 30s (as I did), but there's little to no chance of going back to professional football at that age. I hope he never does want to go back, because he'll find it very, very difficult. Every year there are a couple hundred young pros released from their contracts - decent players too, just surplus to requirements. Chances are he'll never get another look-in, but then if he doesn't really want a career in the game, he's making the right decision.
I'm sure you're right but going off the him playing in the Cumbrian non league at the moment it seems unlikley. Even if he plays for Oldham in Lague One his wages wouldn't be that amazing and that is assuming he even would get the average wage for a league 1 footballer. I would expect that his current weekly wage is pretty poor
Closed Thread