United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Marvel7

Default In game management

I've been fully supportive and positive about Ole since his appointment, but last night was really awful.

I've been trying to remember a game under Ole where he has made a change that has won/rescued a game for us. Either a game we were losing and Ole's substitutions or tactical changes turned it around or a game we were winning that we seemed to be losing our grip on and Ole made subs or tactical changes and we took control of the game and saw it out.

Hoping it's just a negative mindset after last night, but I truly cant think of one right now.

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:17 PM
Switching Off

Brought Mata on v Rochdale and he scored the winning penalty

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:18 PM
dunk

SAF used to get pelters for not changing formations and personnel during games as well tbf.

He does do it, often it works, but when it doesn’t it looks horrific

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:23 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
I've been fully supportive and positive about Ole since his appointment, but last night was really awful.

I've been trying to remember a game under Ole where he has made a change that has won/rescued a game for us. Either a game we were losing and Ole's substitutions or tactical changes turned it around or a game we were winning that we seemed to be losing our grip on and Ole made subs or tactical changes and we took control of the game and saw it out.

Hoping it's just a negative mindset after last night, but I truly cant think of one right now.

Think he was dreadful last night.

But West Ham last year when pogba scored (might have been the year before)

And bringing on cavani vs Southampton when we were 2 nil down.

I don’t think his decisions are as bad as made out to be normally, but last night was bad. Why bring lingard on for Ronaldo when we need a striker. If understand if he was playing 4-4-1 and he was one of the wingers to help double up on the full back.

The big decision he got wrong was taking off bruno. We needed our best passers on the ball.
Hindsight is a bastard but probably should have gone 4–4-1 with

Dalot maguire lindelof shaw
Sancho Bruno Fred pogba
Greenwood

Then later on taking off pogba for lingard or martial to keep pace on the wings for counter

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7

You need the players for it also, usually that comes from the middle of the park - problem is the middle of our team is absolute bobbins. Having Ole leave Fred alone in there last night was £#%&!ing shameful, more so than even having Fred as a first & only choice option.

You heard the commentators mentioning the organisation from Maguire, Varane, Ronaldo, Bruno etc - big players doing experienced things. The centre of the pitch is devoid of quality, let alone leadership.

We really need a quality leader in the middle to hold it all together.

Also, Ole needs to identify this is an issue & find a way to mitigate the problem or every side we play against will expose us by knowing how bereft of quality that part of the pitch is.

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:34 PM
Bunker Buster

He's absolutely awful at team management and subs, it's like he's play acting at being fergie....

Starts lindelof why ? Get a team winning feeling ?

TWO defenders on by half time because you've lost your right back ..

Ronaldo and Bruno off, lingard, matic TONY £#%&!ING martial ...

ZERO subs in a Europa final extra time....

He's out of his depth on the big stage.....it's like he throws 11 players on at times and just hopes it comes off, it does at times, but the only way we can truly judge him is in adversity.....

He fails time and time again....

If this squad doesn't get out the group or win silver ware this year, I'm sorry ole, but thanks for everything ...

Goodbye.

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:36 PM
dunk

He brought Lingard on for pace over the top and through, fair enough to a degree.

He brought Bruno off because his last 3 or 4 touches had been aimless flicks to nothing rather than getting hold of and keeping the ball. Love the lad, but he’s not a midfielder that’s keeping possession well in the sense we needed.

Taking off Sancho, when his pace would be required on the break and he needed the minutes, and taking off Beeky, when he can receive the ball under pressure and pass to another United player, were both shocking decisions, but probably underly his lack of faith in both at present.

Where Fergie was brilliant was putting his absolute trust in players even when there seemed to be no reason for it, and it repaid him in spades. Ole needs to get braver in that regard. Cost him in the FA Cup semi, EL Semi v Seville and even the EL final last year. Blatantly shows lack of faith at times.

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Still wondering what we do in training too.

So, not sure about the in game management or the out of game management.

All good apart from then though.

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:44 PM
NedKelly

Think there’s been a fair few times his admittedly odd subs have turned the game around tbf. Problem is, and someone else said it earlier I think, but I’m not sure these games have been won because of his tactical decisions, but rather due to players coming up with individual moments of brilliance. We had a habit last season of going 1-0 down early doors which acted as a kick up the arse to our players - that we turned so many of those games around is surely testament to Ole’s in game management, but why were we always starting so slow in the first place?

He’s done some great things with the club so far - we now look a very attractive proposition to young players in a way I don’t think we did 2/3 years ago. When we play well we’ve played really well - but again we rarely seem to be able to do it for a full 90 minutes. We look to be a club on the “up”, where we were looking a bit like dinosaurs not so long ago.

There’s no excuses in this CL group though. This isn’t a group of death ffs - we should be waltzing into the knockouts with relative ease.

Unread 15-09-2021, 03:56 PM
saffers

The pressure will be immense if we are on the wrong end of a result against Villarreal or Atalanta. Two very handy teams.

When one result can cause such an earthquake then....

Unread 15-09-2021, 04:15 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He's absolutely awful at team management and subs, it's like he's play acting at being fergie....

Starts lindelof why ? Get a team winning feeling ?

TWO defenders on by half time because you've lost your right back ..

Ronaldo and Bruno off, lingard, matic TONY £#%&!ING martial ...

ZERO subs in a Europa final extra time....

He's out of his depth on the big stage.....it's like he throws 11 players on at times and just hopes it comes off, it does at times, but the only way we can truly judge him is in adversity.....

He fails time and time again....

If this squad doesn't get out the group or win silver ware this year, I'm sorry ole, but thanks for everything ...

Goodbye.

Beeky was playing well. Can hold onto the ball. Off you come son! I need Poggers in that engine room!

If he'd picked the subs out of a hat they wouldn't have been that bad. Who knows, maybe that's how he and Carrick do it.

Unread 15-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Coracao

He's terrible at it. Makes some absolutely unfathomable decisions.

Last night was complete cuckoo.

Unread 15-09-2021, 04:27 PM
Patty_b

The amount of times we have let in a sloppy opening goal or equaliser and come back to win under Ole is crazy. In the league last season we fell behind 17 times and won 10, drawing 1. Compared to Liverpool who fell behind in 16 games and managed to win 6 and draw 1. Or Chelsea who fell behind in 14 games and win only 3 and draw 1.

Saying it's mainly just down to the players turning up and doing something is lazy. Chelsea and Liverpool's top players didn't turn up to pull results out, even with their top class managers pulling the strings.

If anything it's not his in-game management I'm worried about, it's the fact that we have to wait until he tries to sort the team out during the game before we can go on to win, and put 3 or 4 past an opposition team. We don't start well, control the game well and then finish the game well often enough. We start fairly well, let the game go completely, and then finish well.

That's something that has got to improve, and maybe it will this season with the additions we have made once they find a rhythm. If it doesn't and we're well off the pace in the League, and/or make a shit show of the Champions League, then he's going to have to go if we can line someone decent up to replace him. We're light in midfield still but our squad is better than it was last season, so there needs to be progression.

Last night was a nightmare from everyone involved. But it is also a bit of an outlier. We were pretty much in control up until the point AWB got sent off. From there everyone did their job extremely badly, and Ole definitely got things wrong.

Unread 15-09-2021, 04:30 PM
My Name is Heath

Mozam should have been kept on

Varane for Ronnie

Dalot Harry Varane Shaw

Lindelof Fred

Mozam Pogba Bruno

Greenwood

I’ve #@&%!ed that up haven’t I?

Unread 15-09-2021, 04:43 PM
saffers

Most of those comebacks were down to luck and/or individual brilliance.

His in game management STINKS.

For someone to say theyre not worried about it. I lose completely respect for you.

Unread 15-09-2021, 05:23 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
The pressure will be immense if we are on the wrong end of a result against Villarreal or Atalanta. Two very handy teams.

When one result can cause such an earthquake then....
Will beat both , rag the swiss boys and qualify comfortably

Chill the £#%&! out

Unread 15-09-2021, 05:25 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Most of those comebacks were down to luck and/or individual brilliance.

His in game management STINKS.

For someone to say theyre not worried about it. I lose completely respect for you.
Feel guilty for reading Saffers posts without paying for them at times.

What a content provider he is.

He’s right on this as per.

Unread 15-09-2021, 05:55 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Feel guilty for reading Saffers posts without paying for them at times.

What a content provider he is.

He’s right on this as per.
Brother Jez, thank you so much for the beautiful words.

Carries a lot of weight coming from a man with your kindness and gravitas.

Unread 15-09-2021, 06:03 PM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Brother Jez, thank you so much for the beautiful words.

Carries a lot of weight coming from a man with your kindness and gravitas.
Game knows Game Brother Saffers

Unread 15-09-2021, 06:38 PM
d_knight

Get a room you two
Closed Thread