United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Sancho is a unique case imo.

This is a kid who has total self belief and awareness. He told Pep to £#%&! off and went out to a new country because it was best for his development rather than hang around, win a few medals but only play 4/5/6/7 times.

It might be he'd relish the challenge of lifting the club back to where it belongs. Following the lineage of great wingers, great number 7s.

Maybe I'm stuck in sentiment but I still think United is still an attraction for the best. People cite Liverpool in the 90s but the game was very localised compared to the global glamour now.
Described Pogba there.

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Dropping half a billion on the first team squad has given us this lot
Needs to be done properly. Not paying over the odds for shite but paying what’s required for the right players. In one window. 10-12 proper players in 8-10 out.

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:17 PM
AK14

Quote:
Dropping half a billion on the first team squad has given us this lot
Under 4 very different managers in 7 years

No wonder we’re left with this mess tbf.

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Needs to be done properly. Not paying over the odds for shite but paying what’s required for the right players. In one window. 10-12 proper players in 8-10 out.
You're setting yourself for disappointment.

We only do one transfer at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

I think we'll look back in a few years at Tuanzebe, Gomes and Greenwood saving us £100m. They are special talents. Elsewhere we'd need to buy but I trust Ole in knowing how to build a team fit in United's image.

For example he's signed James from the championship because he fits a certain style of player and better snap him up early than wait for someone else to turn him into a 50m player. The lower leagues have thrown up Alli, Maddison, Brooks, Robertson and Harry Maguire in recent times. We missed out on those talents at the time. Maybe this is the plan Ole, Phelan and co want and I support it. Compliment that scouting with good established players around Europe too. It's closer to a winner than our big name brand approach.

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:52 PM
dunk

I know, hence the ‘not ever going to happen’ and ‘fold the club’..

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:54 PM
armchair

rice and sancho. at any cost

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Address the midfield and everything else will look better. We've got some excellent talent but the middle of the park is relegation fodder.

Shouldn't take more than £300m

Unread 22-09-2019, 10:59 PM
utd99

Next AGM

Unread 22-09-2019, 11:06 PM
AK14

Quote:
You're setting yourself for disappointment.

We only do one transfer at a time!

I think we'll look back in a few years at Tuanzebe, Gomes and Greenwood saving us £100m. They are special talents. Elsewhere we'd need to buy but I trust Ole in knowing how to build a team fit in United's image.

For example he's signed James from the championship because he fits a certain style of player and better snap him up early than wait for someone else to turn him into a 50m player. The lower leagues have thrown up Alli, Maddison, Brooks, Robertson and Harry Maguire in recent times. We missed out on those talents at the time. Maybe this is the plan Ole, Phelan and co want and I support it. Compliment that scouting with good established players around Europe too. It's closer to a winner than our big name brand approach.
I’d be all for us looking in the championship for the next Dan James tbh. I just worry that it won’t be marquee enough for Woodward as a long term strategy.

No clue how he’s doing this season but Bowen at Hull was supposed to be a very talented player last season?

I agree that all three of those kids are talented, but the worry is playing them regularly in this side will stunt their growth? We’ve seen it happen in the last few years with Depay, Januzaj and Will Keane and this side is worse than the sides those three played in.

Unread 22-09-2019, 11:06 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
I’d be all for us looking in the championship for the next Dan James tbh. I just worry that it won’t be marquee enough for Woodward as a long term strategy.

No clue how he’s doing this season but Bowen at Hull was supposed to be a very talented player last season?
Which surely goes against the £90m limit we are being told about, no?

Unread 22-09-2019, 11:11 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Which surely goes against the £90m limit we are being told about, no?
Not if we sell players for funds like we did this summer?

Sign Maddison for 70m and sell Pogba for 120m= profit and a marquee signing.

Instead I’d be all for us looking for the next Maddison, James, Ali, Robertson etc but can’t see it being the way woody wants to go long term.

Unread 23-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Address the midfield and everything else will look better. We've got some excellent talent but the middle of the park is relegation fodder.

Shouldn't take more than £300m
Football isn't a complicated game and I maintain no matter how the game has changed over the years you stand a much better chance of winning by having a strong midfield.

I can't remember the last time United had one. Anything United do this season, any win, will have to be ground out IMO as a result of not having one. It's £#%&!ing daft.

Unread 23-09-2019, 07:14 AM
barca99

Another issue would be any player with ambition wanting to come here.

Call me a city fan (and most will ) but why would anyone who wants to win stuff join united, seriously. We are so far away from competing that it would be three or four top players to take a huge gamble in their career to come here.

£#%&!ing shocked that DDG re signed poor bastard wont win another thing before he hangs up his gloves.

Sad but true!

Unread 23-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Lodestar

Quote:

This. Take a look around, happens with all revolving door management. I can't argue any of those managers should have stayed, but how much have the club paid out sacking them?

It is incompetence right at the top. With any luck the commercial profits will take a hit as we drift into mid table obscurity, and the Glazers will go.

Nothing will improve while they own the club..

Unread 23-09-2019, 07:58 AM
The Stella Fella

Summer will see Matic leave and Pogba at the least.

Pogba money used to off set the bit we spend.

Unread 23-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Stickman

its actually a £#%&!en joke tbf.

The money spent over the last 6 years and seeing a side like that put out, absolutely piss poor midfield with very little up front. As soon as I saw the line up last week and this I couldnt see where a goal was going to come from but we won a penalty so got away with it last week.

Don't know where we go from here at all, we have so little right at present from Owners, to CEO, to Manager (sorry but theres just no way), to the spine of the team. Truly

Unread 23-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
Summer will see Matic leave and Pogba at the least.

Pogba money used to off set the bit we spend.
Pogba gets right under my skin, and I wouldn't mind seeing both him and Matic go, but once they do that means we will need to buy at least another 3-4 midfielders to also make up the shortfall from the summer just gone (and that's assuming Garner breaks into the team this year), and two of them will have to be world class.

After the shit show of 'considering' and 'having a good look' of last summer, I have no confidence that we will be able to do that.

Unread 23-09-2019, 08:12 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Pogba gets right under my skin, and I wouldn't mind seeing both him and Matic go, but once they do that means we will need to buy at least another 3-4 midfielders to also make up the shortfall from the summer just gone (and that's assuming Garner breaks into the team this year), and two of them will have to be world class.

After the shit show of 'considering' and 'having a good look' of last summer, I have no confidence that we will be able to do that.
As irritating as Pogba is, the last two games have confirmed he is our best player and the only midfielder we have capable of creating chances. We absolutely need him back ASAP.

Unread 23-09-2019, 09:21 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Another issue would be any player with ambition wanting to come here.

Call me a city fan (and most will ) but why would anyone who wants to win stuff join united, seriously. We are so far away from competing that it would be three or four top players to take a huge gamble in their career to come here.

£#%&!ing shocked that DDG re signed poor bastard wont win another thing before he hangs up his gloves.

Sad but true!
If I was a top player I wouldn't be even entertaining the idea of going to Utd no matter how much they offered or what they promised in terms of future signings

I might be a Utd fan but I would need to look after my career and at the moment Utd is a graveyard for talented players

All this talk of Sancho is utterly fanciful
He's not coming to Utd when he sees what a shambles we are on the pitch and how everyone who comes to Utd aren't coached to be better players but actually regress as players

Even when Klopp finished outside the top 4 the first 2 seasons at Liverpool you could see they were on the right path and he was improving players
You could take the chance and join them with the belief that you could be a part of potentially something special
Watching Utd at the moment you can't think this ship is going anywhere except to the bottom of the ocean

Unread 23-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Dasilvatwins

Let it go, the team is finished . If we are lucky we get someone at the board level who knows what we are doing. But it wont happen. Its over. Good whilst it lasted.

Ole will be wrongly fired around dec and it will start again
Woodward will be "looking" for a DOF and thats what the brand will be pushing. "This time man utd have a DOF" when in reality woodward will keep control of everything.
Closed Thread