United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM
marlo

Default Re: play for united (well be on the bench) or play for a mid table team week in, week out on abit mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
No, I'd tell him to have a good crack at it, and you have to trust that the manager will give them ago. If they're as 'talented' as you think they'll show how good they are and become a good player for that team.

If it's not working out then yes, leave and play regular football. There's a difference between having ambition and giving it a proper go and settling for playing for a smaller club, getting games regular and earning a nice wage.
there is a difference between buying a 'gareth bale' as opposed to bringing one through the ranks and theyre is a difference in the way they are handled by the club.

just using gareth bale as an example of a good young player. nothing else.

Unread 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Grimson

Default Re: play for united (well be on the bench) or play for a mid table team week in, week out on abit mo

I think you always go to United if you have a chance and give it a try. If it doesn't work after a season or two, you move on. If you do your best etc then Fergie makes a phone call and you'll always have a career.

Long term, yes of course players will want to play rather than sit on the bench or stagnate in the reserves.

I think what the young players marlo refers to don't realise is the impact of having played for United, even briefly, after their careers are over.

Unread 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
jem

whilst you have a chance of breaking into the first team, you'll stay.

you may not be sat on the bench, you might be banging them in for sunderland or wigan.

after a certain point, if a player clearly isn't going to get into the team on a reasonably regular basis, I'm not sure he should be hanging around. "good squad players" could be accused of lacking ambition if their appearances number in single figures. hello, gibson.

of course, we'd all play for united for free, but if you lot really loved united, you'd move to another club as quickly as possible. hello, evans.

Unread 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Lord Greybear

Ok, say you were just some random hypothetical Norweigan striker, who doesn't get too much first team starts, and is mostly on the bench.

An offer comes in from some random biggish club, say Spurs, where you know you will be probably on more cash and definitely start more games.

You'd have to be an incredible idiot to turn down the offer from Spurs, I mean, you might even score the winning goal in the European Cup Final for them

Unread 11-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greybear
Ok, say you were just some random hypothetical Norweigan striker, who doesn't get too much first team starts, and is mostly on the bench.

An offer comes in from some random biggish club, say Spurs, where you know you will be probably on more cash and definitely start more games.

You'd have to be an incredible idiot to turn down the offer from Spurs, I mean, you might even score the winning goal in the European Cup Final for them
Set up by Bale of course.

Unread 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
ok lets say you have a 19 year old striker.very talented. but no experiance.
he could be at united and be behind rooney, berbs, hernandez and owen and get the odd game or play for blackburn and get 25 league appearances a season and a domestic cup run

if that son was your nephew where you advise him to go?
as it happens my nephew has so far played in 4 different academies including under Gradi and Keane and he still has their praise ringing in his ears. if he gets picked up by one of the top teams he will go there in a heartbeat

let's say you're a brilliant young striker at, for example, Chivas and Manchester United come in for you. do you sign for them knowing that you're likely to spend a lot of time getting splinters in your arse if the world class strikers ahead of you are doing the business? or do you run a mile and take the easy option and the easy money? if you know you aren't good enough and you don't really care you do the latter.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
as it happens my nephew has so far played in 4 different academies including under Gradi and Keane and he still has their praise ringing in his ears. if he gets picked up by one of the top teams he will go there in a heartbeat

let's say you're a brilliant young striker at, for example, Chivas and Manchester United come in for you. do you sign for them knowing that you're likely to spend a lot of time getting splinters in your arse if the world class strikers ahead of you are doing the business? or do you run a mile and take the easy option and the easy money? if you know you aren't good enough and you don't really care you do the latter.
the impression im getting from this player is that he would rather move to a big club as a 'big signing' at about 25 rather then be a 'macheda'.

sort of like carrick.

most young players just want to play.

on the bench for united getting 10 appearances a season and hardly any 90 minutes games in the league or playing weekout in the league at wigan?
alot of young players (even the ones with ambition) would chose the latter. that the impression i got yesterday anyway.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Sandman

Why don't you just name him ffs, this player wouldn't be on loan at Sunderland would he

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Grimson

Ok let's say you're a young player, let's say 19, 20 in March because you were born in March, at a lower division club.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
was speaking to my friend who is 'practically' joint at the hip to a younger player on our books and was told this.

'why be behind all these players at united, not getting a game when you can play week in, week out at a alright-ish team and get more money, most of these players arent that gassed* on if they play for a big club when 19-25. its about playing and getting a good contract...'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gassed

disclaimer - im not lying or making this up. but its a good talking point i think.
for example would you rather be 'bannan' after his next deal (villa will give him a new deal soon and he'll be playing week in week out) or be darron gibson (lets imagine he isnt as shite as we exagerate and just a similar ability player but at a BIG club)...
makes sense imo.

ok another example.
would you rather your 19 year old son be at birmingham playing everyweek or in united squad?
joint at the hip?! JOINT, AT, THE, HIP?

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Does anyone get the impression that Ali G based his character on Marlo?

He's like the worlds biggest insult to black people.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Why don't you just name him ffs, this player wouldn't be on loan at Sunderland would he
why do i have to name him.

its a priniciple thing. no need to start making up %@#$&!s about the player being a @#%&! and the odd 'he spat on a couple off top reds in a pub' rumours to surface.

no he isnt, by the way.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Sandman

Quote:
why do i have to name him.

its a priniciple thing. no need to start making up %@#$&!s about the player being a @#%&! and the odd 'he spat on a couple off top reds in a pub' rumours to surface.

no he isnt, by the way.
Nicky Ajose.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
borsuk

i see marlo's spelling is back too wat it wus

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i see marlo's spelling is back too wat it wus
There should be a Spanish enquiry into who this player is that's joint at the hip.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
the impression im getting from this player is that he would rather move to a big club as a 'big signing' at about 25 rather then be a 'macheda'.

sort of like carrick.

on the bench for united getting 10 appearances a season and hardly any 90 minutes games in the league or playing weekout in the league at wigan?
alot of young players (even the ones with ambition) would chose the latter. that the impression i got yesterday anyway.
Given the choice, I think the vast majority of young players will take the opportunity to sign for United ahead of a smaller club, regardless of age or first-team prospects. You simply don't turn a club like United down. Once there, however, I think you're right to say that there will be some players for whom simply being at a big club won't make up for lack of playing time. I still suspect the majority would stay until advised otherwise by Fergie, mind.

Unread 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

sort of like carrick.

you need to change the thread title. remove the word 'united' and replace it with a more generic term. widen the field of players away from those who are actually good enough to play for united as well.
Closed Thread