United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
West ham are not Brighton or Villa mate. Night and day.
Spurs aren’t Brighton or Villa either and we managed to £#%&! that one up.

This team is not yet mature enoughly to confidently predict individual wins away from home. I’m more confident that we have shown good consistency through the season and we should be good for 9 more points from a possible 15. I’d like the first of 3 asap. The longer we keep pissing about with this, the twitchier we’ll get.

Sunday has just become very important.

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:52 PM
Ethers

Interesting little interview about Brighton playing out from the back. Mad how they’ve drilled specific patterns and passes depending on which United player leads the press.

I know most people hate it as a concept on here, but when it works it’s easy to see the benefits, and it’s no coincidence that all the best teams do it imo. It’s just that they do it well, and we’ve really struggled to do it well.

Sorting the keeper out is the only solution to that.

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:53 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They're quite capable of that. They've done it before.
They are certainly capable of it if they carry on getting let offs like they did at the end of the West Ham game.

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:55 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
They're quite capable of that. They've done it before.

They're getting lucky at just the right time as well.

Southampton will be relegated by the time they go there and Leicester are absolutely £#%&!ing appalling. That leaves two home bankers against Brentford and Villa both of whom will lose.
They are capable and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they did. But it’s a still a big ask and if I were a betting man, I’d say there’s one sloppy draw in there somewhere. They’re still a notch off what they’ve been in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Interesting little interview about Brighton playing out from the back. Mad how they’ve drilled specific patterns and passes depending on which United player leads the press.

I know most people hate it as a concept on here, but when it works it’s easy to see the benefits, and it’s no coincidence that all the best teams do it imo. It’s just that they do it well, and we’ve really struggled to do it well.

They do it brilliantly. Can’t help but admire how they play it out from the back. Managing to lose their manager, lose their best players and manage to have Lewis Dunk as the leagues leading pass maker is impressive. They’re a very good team. Can’t begrudge where they are and they deserved what they got tonight.

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:56 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They are capable and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they did. But it’s a still a big ask and if I were a betting man, I’d say there’s one sloppy draw in there somewhere. They’re still a notch off what they’ve been in the past.
Maybe but we don't exactly look good for getting over the line either. The goals have all dried up. We've scored 3 goals in the last 5 games in all competitions.

If we lose on sunday we are in deep shit.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:19 PM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
So they're better than us but don't have better results? If you mean they play better stuff than us then you might have an arguement though they've outplayed us in one out of the three matches this season. If it's not performances I'm struggling to understand which metric you are using to define them as better than us.
Errrrm what I just watched, and what I've been watching generally between these two teams for a few seasons now.

I can't speak to Brighton's season overall, because I don't follow them that closely. Maybe the managerial uncertainty period affected them; maybe the Winter window and their players getting tapped up affected them. Certainly they had points stolen after they battered Spurs, but whatever. I know what I watched last season head to head and I know what I've watched this season head to head and they're a better team than us - not a massive margin, but better. As far as 'metrics', that would be my eyes. Work harder, more committed, better balanced, fewer mistakes, more 2nd balls, better patterns. The usual stuff.

Hurts me as much as you buddy; I just don't take it personally. I've no doubt we'll be better next season just as I suspect they'll be fighting relegation in a few years, but for now it is how it is.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:23 PM
avocado

Quote:
Probably logical that if you are going to lose games it will be away from home against the better teams?

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:32 PM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

I think we're reaching the tipping point now though where there are real benefits to be had by being contrary. If you can play longer passes into midfielders who understand positioning and have a good first touch you should be able to kill these intense high pressing teams.

Those types of teams are gagging for you to £#%&! around with it in deep positions, so why give them what they want? It only takes one £#%&! up as we almost saw with Lindelof.

Quote:
Maybe but we don't exactly look good for getting over the line either. The goals have all dried up. We've scored 3 goals in the last 5 games in all competitions.

If we lose on sunday we are in deep shit.
And therein lies the rub. We are just not good enough or clinical enough up front. If Rashford or Bruno don't score or assist, who exactly are our match winners - our difference makers when we need them? Antony? Sancho? Martial? Don't think so... Weghorst possibly?

I feel sorry for our defenders who, quite frankly have been superb recently. Shaw was magnificent today, and we didn't lose that game because of his one mad mistake, we lost because our forwards couldn't capitalize on the platform our defence gave them in the previous 94 minutes.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:32 PM
dunk

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:33 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
At full strength currently it’s something like

De gea, AWB lindelof shaw dalot, Casemiro Eriksen, Antony Bruno Sancho, rashford
it really isn't, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
He should have started with three in midfield (proper midfielders), Fred was OK but Casemiro could have been sent off. Away against a good team those two not enough.

Bruno would have done more further up than any of the front three that started too.

This and the lack of the obvious subs, questions have to be asked of ETH tonight. He’s starting to make obvious mistakes and up till 3 months ago he’d done everything perfectly, bit concerning.
this, obvs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Not that he will because you don’t just throw the system you’re working on this late in the season but maybe a 433 might be his best option.

Casemiro
Bruno. Eriksen
not this, ffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Agreed with 3 men in midfield we don’t have the players for 2 men because either their legs are gone or they’re just plain shit. Bruno should play in the front 3 he’s more likely to score than anyone else.
again, this.

someone is missing it, though.

we didn't play that badly; we just didn't convert our chances and teams can always sneak one with a bit of help from the ref (not the pen itself, obvs).

we played a proper midfield against a form team (villa) and won. why £#%&!ing switch out from that playing away at brighton? madness. and on erik.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:34 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Errrrm what I just watched, and what I've been watching generally between these two teams for a few seasons now.

I can't speak to Brighton's season overall, because I don't follow them that closely. Maybe the managerial uncertainty period affected them; maybe the Winter window and their players getting tapped up affected them. Certainly they had points stolen after they battered Spurs, but whatever. I know what I watched last season head to head and I know what I've watched this season head to head and they're a better team than us - not a massive margin, but better. As far as 'metrics', that would be my eyes. Work harder, more committed, better balanced, fewer mistakes, more 2nd balls, better patterns. The usual stuff.

Hurts me as much as you buddy; I just don't take it personally. I've no doubt we'll be better next season just as I suspect they'll be fighting relegation in a few years, but for now it is how it is.
I think we have different definitions of 'better'. They might be better to watch, they almost certainly make the more of what talent they have, but better to mind mind is results and we have better results this season, as we did last season and in addition we deservedley beat them in their biggest match with a ref who gave them everything.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:44 PM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
I think we have different definitions of 'better'. They might be better to watch, they almost certainly make the more of what talent they have, but better to mind mind is results and we have better results this season, as we did last season and in addition we deservedley beat them in their biggest match with a ref who gave them everything.
While taking care not to get pulled into the position of a £#%&!ing Brighton fan - can't stand the place - the last 4 results I believe have been 4-0, 2-1, 0-0, and 1-0. Even the game with the Bruno penalty, didn't they hit the bar 4 times and absolutely batter us? They're a good team in good form and - mostly 2nd half based - were a better team than us again. I was praying for the whistle tbh.

Btw, Calceido would make us a far better team. The Scottish Player to Newcastle for 40m, him in for 70m is a deal I'd do every day of the week.

Unread 05-05-2023, 01:24 AM
The taste of...

It’s up there on giant £#%&!ing screens all around the place

10 £#%&!ing seconds to go

All you have to do is see the corner off, nothing stupid

If the nearest Brighton player had got his head to it the ball would have landed in the Center circle.

@#%&!, no difference that he played well, he’s a £#%&!ing ticking time bomb

Sell

Unread 05-05-2023, 02:54 AM
shenwen

Bad defeat. Nothing to do with top 4, just a shit way to lose a game. Although we never looked liked winning tbf. We really should this about playing a striker next game.

That's the toughest team we'll face before the end of the season.

Unread 05-05-2023, 03:57 AM
RARAMSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes. shaw had been the best player on the pitch when I made that comment and had just done a magnificent clearing header to keep it at 0-0. for you to comment after the (inexcusable) handball is just a dick move, buddy.

similarly, anyone criticising de gea for not saving that after the saves he made. no keeper stops that.

10h's team selection cost us. and the ref, obvs.
Fair point was pissed off at the stupidity

Unread 05-05-2023, 04:08 AM
Stickman

3rd consecutive Friday morning ruined.

United

Away from home - 4 MUST play.

Casemiro, Fred, Eriksen, Sabitzer, The Scottish Player.

Move Bruno in front. Rashford up front.

We are run through for fun playing that 4-3-3/4-2-4 shite.

Unread 05-05-2023, 04:49 AM
jem

Quote:
Calceido would make us a far better team.
not sure he would. palhinha is a better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARAMSES
Fair point was pissed off at the stupidity
fair enough. it was stupid.

Unread 05-05-2023, 04:54 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

United

The way they passed through us at times was so naive.

Unread 05-05-2023, 05:24 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

United

Yep, Erik needs to re-think it a bit. Saying that, we score at least a small percentage of our chances, we win.

Unread 05-05-2023, 06:13 AM
shenwen

On the positive side, if this win helps Brighton finish above Liverpool then won’t be the worst thing.