United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2008, 10:36 PM
jem

7. creep Ė radiohead

this is "our song". the lovely mrs jem and me, that is. we used to play it in the car a lot in the days before mp3 players (it was a great song for drowning out the constant "please slow down" whining). it was the opening song at our wedding. we didnít dance. I was playing pool. stillÖ. it's kind of romantic. :0)

Unread 10-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Brenner

A strange "our song" if I may be so bold Jem - explain...

Unread 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
jem

Default well, we didn't have an our song

that relates to a first kiss or romantic experience. but we spent a lot of time in the car.

Unread 10-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we spent a lot of time in the car.
I knew I wasn't the only one on here who enjoyed dogging...

Final track then - a band I really like - REM and The Great Beyond, written especially for the film "Man On The Moon"

Why do Michael Stipe and the boys make it....?

Unread 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM
jem

Default not just because I love rem

8. the great beyond - rem

ah, a fave of the little misses jem. they insist on hearing "the elephant songĒ (their favourite line is "I'm pushing an elephant up the stairsÖ".) I suspect that there's a connection to ďwhat shall we do with a drunken mummy?Ö push her up the stairsĒ, which we sing whenever mrs jem has "food poisoning". not sure mrs jem appreciates the connection. this will always remind me of them and I canít go with anything from high school musical or ricky martin's she bangs, can I? they do like over and over by hot chip too. manic little monkeys that they are. itís not my favourite rem song, but what can you do?

dang! no room for uncertain smile, which reminds me of university and living with three girls. f***ing hell, we should have had revolving doors on that house! lucky some fool chose that last week, lest we forget.

Unread 10-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Luxury Item

They have impeccable taste the little miss jemsters - Hot Chips performance of Over & Over at Glastonbury was one of my highlights - especially when the geezer in the glasses f***ed off stage after hammering his organ (Ooer missus)

It's a shame some musically gifted mo fo chose Uncertain Smile last week like you say...bet he didn't live with 3 birds though

Moving on to your luxury item Jem - the "Complete Calvin & Hobbes" - the comic strip escapades of a boy and his stuffed tiger...

Unread 10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
jem

Default that's my book, not my luxury item

it should be a biography of rommel that an ex gave me for christmas about 15 years ago that I haven't even opened yet (david fraser's knight's cross). stuck on an island with nothing else to do, I would surely get round to reading the bastard sooner or later. I don't really read fiction any more, although I'll always love the sci-fi. if I had to take a book I've read before, it would probably be something by heinlein. maybe stranger in a strange land. or a calvin & hobbes anthology. that tiger is cute and funny. reminds me of myself.

at the moment, I am half way through wings of madness: alberto santos-dumont and the invention of flight*. which I bought in 2003 when it came out. and Iíve only got round to it now because Iíve started commuting. I think Iím going to be able to catch up on my reading quite a bit.

*highly recommended, incidentally. heís quite a character.

anyway, calvin and hobbes Ė I have a pile of collections in the downstairs bathroom. I like to read when I sit down.

I was going to scan some strips, but this will have to do as an example:

calvin: you need to do something about you approval ratings as dad, they are very poor.
dad: being your father is not elected position.
calvin: what? so you get to govern as a dictator with impunity and with no fear of being replaced?
dad: thatís about the size of it.
calvin: so the only alternative is disobedience and open rebellion?
dad: I donít like the direction this conversation is taking.

Unread 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Brenner

Red face I stand corrected

it is of course your book

LUXURY ITEM (HONEST!)

Some South African Moisturiser

I couldn't find any from SA so you'll have to rub this brand on your cows udders...

Unread 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
jem

Default ha!

I had forgotten what I put.

I would say a guitar, so I could finally learn to play it properly. but I would end up breaking a string or two and where the f*** would you get spares on a desert island? Iíd be like seasick steve without a sherman story to tell. so I would have to take up harmonica instead. I would miss the little misses jem horribly, so I'd want to take them really. apart from that, I'm not sure I'd need luxuries, I'd just be glad to be out of the race.

Iíd need factor 50 sunblock for sure, but the old mil kreem is good for anything that has been... chafed.... which could happen if I was left alone for an extended period with nothing else to do.

Unread 10-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Ha ha

Excellent stuff (and Seasick Steve was superb on Jools Holland's Hootenany on NYE btw)

Jem it has been a pleasure to have you in the Tissue Island studio, but it's that time when I must ask you to put down your Pimms and head for the helipad, where the TID's copter is waiting to take you and your selections to Tissue Island

Safe journey and easy on that moisturiser

Gentlemen, the floor is now yours...

Next Week's guest - Koppas
Closed Thread