United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:09 AM
atticusgrinch

Default At what point did YOU realise that Ole wasn't up to it?

I obviously never believed he was qualified for the job. He wasn't. You can't just hope someone into being a top manager.

Winning the Norwegian league 8 year before, then relegating Cardiff, then being on the way to relegating them again before getting fired, then doing nothing in Norway for years isn't really the CV you're looking for.

The moment for me was the signing of Wan Bissaka. Not just because he's shit and was £50m. Though there is that obviously. It told the lie behind the united DNA bullshit. Youth? attacking? You've just displaced a promising player who is much better at attacking and 3 years younger.

Perhaps worse than that, it highlighted that Ole knew he couldn't coach defenders. So he'd rather buy guys who can tackle and hope that'd be enough. Never mind there would be no effective width on the right side of the pitch - ever.

Anyway, that was my moment. What was your moment of clarity?

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:12 AM
windy waffles

I flipped-flopped and thought he had done a good job to get us second last year but the final against Villareal confirmed it for me. The fact he didnt make a single sub against extra time showed he had no idea what he was doing. It's gone from bad to worse since then.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:13 AM
Sparky***

The final against Villarreal. That should have been it.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:14 AM
Switching Off

Deep down I think I always knew. But you try to tell yourself it's not true. You try to fit in. You want to believe it, but you cant suppress it forever. Eventually it hits you and then you can begin the slow process of acceptance, coming out to family and friends, and eventually, making an Ole Out banner.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:14 AM
AK14

I’ve always had my doubts tbh but didn’t want to fully believe them and wanted him to succeed so much I blindingly went along with it.

Europa final was the wake up call though, although I felt even he couldn’t fail with the signings we made in the summer and squad we’ve assembled… I was very wrong.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:19 AM
Drexl

1999 tbh. I just KNEW

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:22 AM
75Red

I wasn't sure about him as early as Jan/Feb 2019 but then there was the PSG game which gave me hope.
Later. Inconsistent performances, some good results, I flip flopped for months.
The Europa league final was what convinced me.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:23 AM
ryanMUFC

Always had doubts. The bad results that started once he was given a contract were the warning signs.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:24 AM
MagnificentSeven

leicester last weekend.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:26 AM
NedKelly

Losing to Young Boys. There’s just no excuse. I was so excited beforehand too. Thought we’d smash them and it’d be the start to a solid CL campaign. I know we might scab it through but would anyone expect us to get past the first knockout under Ole?

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Pop

It was always too big a job for him. Molde to Cardiff to Man Utd.

Sounds mental when you see it like that.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:27 AM
ZiggyStardust

I never believed he was really up to it as nothing about his record says he should be anywhere near a top job
Then watching us during his first season and his 2nd season it was clear that him and his coaching staff couldn’t coach their way out of a paper bag

However the squad was improving and so was our final league position therefore I didn’t think he should be sacked but Europa League final put huge doubts in my mind
He was a deer in headlights in that final, too afraid to do anything

In the end the lesson learned from this is there is no place in top level football for sentiment or emotion
Utd should only ever go for the best possible candidate for whatever position that needs filling

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Dr Stranger

I’ve never thought he was definitely the answer, I was just happy for him to have the chance.

He lifted the club and I liked what he was trying to do. The cloud of mourinho was awful and he lifted that. The club felt better again. Whether that was enough to get the job permanently is questionable , but I was happy the club was willing to give him the chance.

Having got it, we steadily got better, but never looked settled. Again though, I was interested to see how it all turned out. I never felt that with mourinho. We got better in the league - more wins, more goals, higher placing. His metrics in the job did him favours.

Those semi finals defeats were tough, but also felt like they just a bridge too far…. But that Europa final was different. This was the first one where we were real favourites and we had to show we’d grown.

We failed that badly.

That was when serious doubt kicked in for me. We looked like losers. Like we bottled it. That reflected badly on him as a winner.

I don’t think he should have been sacked for it, but the acquisitions in the summer meant that the bar was higher and scrutiny more intense. He’s simply had to hit the ground running. We had to show that we’re addressing the issues that blighted us….instead, we have crashed and the issues look worse.

The danger signs were there in game two at Southampton. We had won 5-1 the week before, Southampton hadn’t won in ten and we had no excuse to not go there and dominate. Instead, it was the chaotic mess we needed to see the back of.

We hobbled along, but Everton was the shift for me. Their best plauers were missing, we got our goal and we had the chance to kill it ….instead, another hapless goal and we were lucky not to lose it. That, and the Villa game before, convinced me that there really is no more he can do with this squad. He’s reached his limit.

Even then, there was the glimmer that the bigger games MIGHT bring something out of us…. Well.

Ole was right for what he was brought in for. A plucky character who knows the club and will lift spirits, but the experiment has hit the wall and his limitations are staring everyone squarely in the face.

Nothing has been clearer now than the fact he isn’t good enough to carry us forward and that we need to change it immediately.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:32 AM
believe

August 2019. Got hammered for saying what everyone is wishing for now.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:32 AM
Mr_Ed

First real doubts were in the CL last season when we got beaten in Turkey I think… then losing to Leicester in the semi then then Villarreal confirmed it for me… bottler with no plan idea how to win the big games.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:34 AM
shenwen

At various points last season. Stupid defeats and draws. It was papered over by the excitement of some of the comebacks (absent of crowds of course) and the odd great result. But it was still apparent he was flying by the seat of his pants, helped by the sheer will of Fernandes.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:38 AM
Stickman

Major reservations during that honking run just after he was appointed but for me I was absolutely sure when we lost at home to PSG last season. The lack of Fred sub at half time had me questioning his sharpness.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:39 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
At various points last season. Stupid defeats and draws. It was papered over by the excitement of some of the comebacks (absent of crowds of course) and the odd great result. But it was still apparent he was flying by the seat of his pants, helped by the sheer will of Fernandes.
Th CL last season man. £#%&!ing hell. Got a couple of great results and threw it away with some of the most blatant managerial ineptitude you're ever likely to see in that competition.

Unread 25-10-2021, 10:42 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Major reservations during that honking run just after he was appointed but for me I was absolutely sure when we lost at home to PSG last season. The lack of Fred sub at half time had me questioning his sharpness.
I’d forgotten about that

Everyone bar Ole (and Patty ) could see Fred needed subbing but he kept him out there

Unread 25-10-2021, 11:03 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The final against Villarreal. That should have been it.
this.
Closed Thread