Yes to Conte 29 26.13%
No to Conte 82 73.87%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Fair enough, you and be both really. What a mess.

I don't disagree really – I really, really don't want United to turn into Chelsea with the quick fix, soulless %@#$&!s. Otherwise I'd be saying hey, let's get Big Sam in and at least sort the defence out.

I dunno, it's just that Sunday was a different level altogether. It wasn't just a bad result. It wasn't Exeter in the cup or Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup Final or Swindon fluking a league win. It was basically the result that you'd write down if someone asked you to describe your absolute worst nightmare as a United fan. So I think the priority should be to stop that from happening again, and 'meaning' can come later.
bang on. I (me personally) feel sorry for ole, as I believe he was stitched up (as would any manager be, including mou, lou, and moy) by these trailer park owning snide people in charge.

and breathe

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:24 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
'Keep trying anything'.... really? After Sunday?

Hypothetically, would you watch another one of those v city? How about at Anfield in March?

I get what you're saying but Sunday was surely the worst result any of us have seen in our lifetimes. We can go on about 'meaning' all we like but if it leads to the most appalling, abject humiliation with the entire country absolutely roaring with laughter as the goals fly in, is it not time to have a rethink about priorities?
This.

Doing things the ‘right way’ and winning are not mutually exclusive.

What was right about Sunday. What was United about it. It was abject in every conceivable way. It was embarrassing and as bad as it can possibly get.

The only difference is that we like the man who oversaw it.

Part of the ‘United way’ is winning. Should we do that all costs? No, but we cannot continue with anything that produces what happened on Sunday. And remember, it wasn’t some freak result. It was coming.

You can like Ole and what he’s trying to do and also acknowledge that what he’s doing now is entirely unacceptable and he needs to leave.

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:25 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
bang on. I (me personally) feel sorry for ole, as I believe he was stitched up (as would any manager be, including mou, lou, and moy) by these trailer park owning snide people in charge.

and breathe
Stitched up? 10 million a year with his CV? Wish someone would stitch me up like that.

get what your'e saying though - he's a perfect foil for the Glazers. Almost (but as we've seen, not quite) impossible for the fans to go against and never going to complain (maybe those 10 millions a year helps)

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:27 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
While Sunday was brutal, hysterical, desperate decision taking won’t help.

https://twitter.com/utddistrict/stat...753673219?s=21
It’s hardly ‘hysterical’ to consider one of the worlds top managers when he’s out of a job.

As much as I don’t want Conte, let’s not exaggerate.

It’s no more hysterical or desperate to suggest he should get that the job tian it is to suggest that Ole deserves the season and will turn this around.

Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Stitched up? 10 million a year with his CV? Wish someone would stitch me up like that.

get what your'e saying though - he's a perfect foil for the Glazers. Almost (but as we've seen, not quite) impossible for the fans to go against and never going to complain (maybe those 10 millions a year helps)
yep. the dream patsy.

all you have to do is look how the fans went from the super league fiasco to ronaldo signing.

throw a nostalgia bone and you're gold.

Drexl

Quote:

I'm too fragile to argue my dude, but I mean ANY manger is stitched up under the Glazers. I'm not defending Ole per se

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Fair enough, you and be both really. What a mess.

I don't disagree really – I really, really don't want United to turn into Chelsea with the quick fix, soulless %@#$&!s. Otherwise I'd be saying hey, let's get Big Sam in and at least sort the defence out.

I dunno, it's just that Sunday was a different level altogether. It wasn't just a bad result. It wasn't Exeter in the cup or Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup Final or Swindon fluking a league win. It was basically the result that you'd write down if someone asked you to describe your absolute worst nightmare as a United fan. So I think the priority should be to stop that from happening again, and 'meaning' can come later.
And it wasn’t a freak result. It was a genuine reflection of the gulf between the teams.

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:47 AM
AK14

I want him (under the right conditions) and like others have said I think he’s exactly what we need.

The conditions are he doesn’t come in and rip the squad up and has to work with what he’s got + a couple of midfield reinforcements. If that doesn’t work for him then he can £#%&! off (perhaps that’s what’s happened)

It would be the first time since fergie retired that we’ve actually signed a manager on top of his game imo. Yes he’d be here short term, but all the talk of bringing in the whole Ajax structure isn’t going to happen under these owners, so it’s either we go the short option route or stay stuck in the ‘United way’ mindset that will leave us with an Ole type.

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:47 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
This.

Doing things the ‘right way’ and winning are not mutually exclusive.

What was right about Sunday. What was United about it. It was abject in every conceivable way. It was embarrassing and as bad as it can possibly get.

The only difference is that we like the man who oversaw it.

Part of the ‘United way’ is winning. Should we do that all costs? No, but we cannot continue with anything that produces what happened on Sunday. And remember, it wasn’t some freak result. It was coming.

You can like Ole and what he’s trying to do and also acknowledge that what he’s doing now is entirely unacceptable and he needs to leave.
And even then, I'm liking him less and less as it goes on. I know that's heresy to some people but... 'we're close' really pissed me off. I mean is he mentally ill? It's so painfully deluded that it's pretty much insulting everyone who watched that horror show. The only acceptable response was to apologise.

Unread 26-10-2021, 08:54 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
And even then, I'm liking him less and less as it goes on. I know that's heresy to some people but... 'we're close' really pissed me off. I mean is he mentally ill? It's so painfully deluded that it's pretty much insulting everyone who watched that horror show. The only acceptable response was to apologise.
I’m prepared to assume he was emotional.

That’s the only defence.

Managers do that in jobs… I think they become so ingrained and obsessed with a job that they can’t see their own flaws. I compared it to gambling yesterday: getting further and further into debt, but I’m only one bet away from winning….

Unread 26-10-2021, 09:08 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’m prepared to assume he was emotional.

That’s the only defence.

Managers do that in jobs… I think they become so ingrained and obsessed with a job that they can’t see their own flaws. I compared it to gambling yesterday: getting further and further into debt, but I’m only one bet away from winning….
Probably about right.

One thing we can't accuse him of his laziness. By all accounts he's worked his arse off trying to get it right.

Unread 26-10-2021, 09:11 AM
Switching Off

Ciao sweet prince.

Unread 26-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Probably about right.

One thing we can't accuse him of his laziness. By all accounts he's worked his arse off trying to get it right.
I’m sure he has. Good for him. He’s not good enough though. I’d give everthing i have too.

Unread 26-10-2021, 09:15 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Ciao sweet prince.
Ciao Switchers.

Unread 26-10-2021, 09:29 AM
75Red

Quote:

'we're close' pissed me off.
So did seeing him laughing on the OT touchline in the 92nd minute when we were 1-1 against a crappy Everton side, just a week after getting beat at OT by Villa.
I like him, I don't want to end up hating him but we're a global laughing stock and his attitude isn't helping.

Unread 26-10-2021, 10:44 AM
elhombre

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:10 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Red
'we're close' pissed me off.
So did seeing him laughing on the OT touchline in the 92nd minute when we were 1-1 against a crappy Everton side, just a week after getting beat at OT by Villa.
I like him, I don't want to end up hating him but we're a global laughing stock and his attitude isn't helping.
It's been grinding at me this season, no doubt due to the performances. I don't expect some Arteta-like pseud, but I don't think I've ever heard Ole say anything insightful about the game of football. At times, he's like a Fast Show type parody of an 80s football manager.

Beyond "more legs in the middle" or "starting on the front foot", I still have no idea what he wants the team to be.

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:35 AM
Zorg

Quote:
It's been grinding at me this season, no doubt due to the performances. I don't expect some Arteta-like pseud, but I don't think I've ever heard Ole say anything insightful about the game of football. At times, he's like a Fast Show type parody of an 80s football manager.

Beyond "more legs in the middle" or "starting on the front foot", I still have no idea what he wants the team to be.
That video of him taking training at Molde where he shouts '£#%&!in' shooot' at them doesn't seem as funny any more

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Quite fond of the old "psycho-eyes" look myself tbh. Suggests a driven man/them.

Obvs not as MY boss. But the likes of Fred's? Yep

Unread 26-10-2021, 06:23 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
yep. the dream patsy.

all you have to do is look how the fans went from the super league fiasco to ronaldo signing.

throw a nostalgia bone and you're gold.
Well tbh the ESL not actually happening (for now) helped a fair bit there.
Closed Thread