United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-10-2021, 08:49 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
For the avoidance of doubt, I’m not a Van Gaal or Mourinho advocate.
I was happy to support them both when they arrived but for people to compare Ole unfavourably to them when they didn't consistently get us in the CL or challenging for the title at all seems odd. Too many fans spoilt by Fergie's achievements over a quarter of a century.

The appointment of Meulensteen seems a strange one, though, given the reports of him not being that popular with some people first time round. Still, if him and shorts can rekindle some of the old magic, let's do it. Change is good unless it's just for the sake of change.

Unread 14-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Red_Rizla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
I know its just a suggestion by Paul Parker in an interview, but I don't think it is that wide of the mark in correcting our issues. Rene Meulensteen is a top, top coach. He is not a manager, his record at trying that proves it.

When he came into United he not only worked with Ferguson and helped the first team to several pots, he was used by Les Kershaw and revolutionised the way the academy taught the kids how to play. He introduced skills coaching and ball manipulation, and put the word development into the vocabulary at the club. The results of that are what we saw from Welbeck onwards - hes not a great example, but still made us £16m.

United graduates all over the Leagues all over the world have great technique, great feet. Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood even Lingard are testament to that. That is down to Rene. The EPPP programme and subsequent FA youth badges use these techniques, leading to England having more technical footballers.

Personally I'd have him coaching our first team over Kieren McKenna and Michael Carrick any day of the week. If we are keeping OGS, which seems to be the way it is, then doing something like this would certainly improve what we have.
Pretty much spot on. I am not clued up on other top coaches but know that Meulensteen was highly effective and influential during his times here. The game has altered a fair bit since then though. Is he progressive enough?

Unread 14-10-2021, 11:36 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
I know its just a suggestion by Paul Parker in an interview, but I don't think it is that wide of the mark in correcting our issues. Rene Meulensteen is a top, top coach. He is not a manager, his record at trying that proves it.

When he came into United he not only worked with Ferguson and helped the first team to several pots, he was used by Les Kershaw and revolutionised the way the academy taught the kids how to play. He introduced skills coaching and ball manipulation, and put the word development into the vocabulary at the club. The results of that are what we saw from Welbeck onwards - hes not a great example, but still made us £16m.

United graduates all over the Leagues all over the world have great technique, great feet. Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood even Lingard are testament to that. That is down to Rene. The EPPP programme and subsequent FA youth badges use these techniques, leading to England having more technical footballers.

Personally I'd have him coaching our first team over Kieren McKenna and Michael Carrick any day of the week. If we are keeping OGS, which seems to be the way it is, then doing something like this would certainly improve what we have.
So what you’re saying is this guy is responsible for Welbeck, Pogba and Lingard? Keep him the £#%&! away from us.

I agree btw

Unread 14-10-2021, 01:01 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rizla
Pretty much spot on. I am not clued up on other top coaches but know that Meulensteen was highly effective and influential during his times here. The game has altered a fair bit since then though. Is he progressive enough?
Can't be any less progressive than the backwards passing possession Lidl tikitaka football we have seen over the last few seasons.

Unread 14-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Can't be any less progressive than the backwards passing possession Lidl tikitaka football we have seen over the last few seasons.
Apart from the previous five seasons of shit on a stick football

Unread 14-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Red_Rizla

Quote:
Which was pretty much my point x

Unread 14-10-2021, 03:10 PM
andyroo

Quote:
I know its just a suggestion by Paul Parker in an interview
£#%&! me

A whole thread out of that.

Unread 14-10-2021, 03:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
£#%&! me

Happened with Bissouma in the summer as well. The original PP doesn’t know his own power

Unread 14-10-2021, 04:31 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
£#%&! me

Not quite the case. I think it’s more to do with the fact that our current coaching staff seemingly can’t seem to deliver even a semi coherent playing style - much weaker teams find it routinely easy to unlock us whilst we struggle to unlock them. Our approach is one dimensional. Questions have been rightly raised about the quality of the coaching. Rumours abound that these concerns are shared by the players. And our response so far is to do nothing whilst the only other idea being to appoint someone who was at the club 10 years ago.

Unread 14-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Not quite the case. I think it’s more to do with the fact that our current coaching staff seemingly can’t seem to deliver even a semi coherent playing style - much weaker teams find it routinely easy to unlock us whilst we struggle to unlock them. Our approach is one dimensional. Questions have been rightly raised about the quality of the coaching. Rumours abound that these concerns are shared by the players. And our response so far is to do nothing whilst the only other idea being to appoint someone who was at the club 10 years ago.
Tbf, the club has done something.

Given them all new contracts.

Unread 14-10-2021, 05:17 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Tbf, the club has done something.

Given them all new contracts.
The United way

Unread 14-10-2021, 06:03 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
ok Paul Parker

Unread 14-10-2021, 06:59 PM
red in cumbria

Paul Parker - has he ever even smiled?

Unread 14-10-2021, 11:11 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
£#%&! me

We've had threads twice as long on half as much. Fred.

Unread 15-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Red_Rizla

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Paul Parker - has he ever even smiled?
I think he may have smirked when Keane picked him ahead of Neville in his best United XI - but then again, who knows?

Unread 15-10-2021, 12:35 PM
Zorg

Think he might have smiled at the Pallister's Bulge Incident
Closed Thread