United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
View Poll Results: Who will win?
United 38 73.08%
Spurs 4 7.69%
Draw 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 30-10-2017, 09:22 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
There was only one team who lacked ambition on Saturday and it wasn't us, we went two up front against one of the best defences in the league and particularly in the second half were the only ones looking for the win. Spurs had once chance (which they created out of nothing), they played a utility man up front leaving Llorente on the bench and set up not to lose, as evidenced by an inability to create anything even after going a goal down.

When we are unambitious like at Anfield by all means call it out but constantly looking for a negative football angle, even after a deserved win against a title rival is bizarre.
Quayders

Unread 30-10-2017, 09:27 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Not least by your good self

p.s. I hate the glazers, too.

Unread 30-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Crumps

We grew in to the match after a sluggish start (standard 12:30) and were good second half against a team people on here rate more than us. Clearly missing Pogba, imagine how City would have got on without De Bruyne though. Absolute shit the beds that £#%&! over negative and ignore the positive.

Unread 30-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
There was only one team who lacked ambition on Saturday and it wasn't us, we went two up front against one of the best defences in the league and particularly in the second half were the only ones looking for the win. Spurs had once chance (which they created out of nothing), they played a utility man up front leaving Llorente on the bench and set up not to lose, as evidenced by an inability to create anything even after going a goal down.

When we are unambitious like at Anfield by all means call it out but constantly looking for a negative football angle, even after a deserved win against a title rival is bizarre.
Testify!

Spurs came in to that game in form, with a 100% record away from home. I wouldnt say they played for a point, but they played it safe.

I don't see spurs getting any stick like we did. Certainly not Pochettino, who is ofcourse, the flavour of the month.

We weren't negative on Saturday. We were marginally better than our opponents in a very tight game. Just because a game finishes 1-0, doesn't mean we were negative. It stemmed more from simply playing like shit. We were better second half and, as a result, created more chances.

So many boring narratives in football that are somewhat true.....and that extends to always true for most people. Their minds are made up beforehand.

Jose is negative. Can be. Mostly isn't.

Liverpool have one of the best attacks in Europe. No, they just score a lot. They also struggle to break teams down a lot.

Unread 30-10-2017, 10:35 PM
jem

we weren't particularly negative. we were just disjointed in attack - lukaku did £#%&! all, mikhi and herrera weren't great, the defence was always one barge into the keeper away from calamity... matic, young and the tiger played well, but we hardly played as a team and we won thanks to a route one knock on. it wasn't good football at all. soz. even our set pieces were shit.

Unread 30-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we weren't particularly negative. we were just disjointed in attack - lukaku did £#%&! all, mikhi and herrera weren't great, the defence was always one barge into the keeper away from calamity... matic, young and the tiger played well, but we hardly played as a team and we won thanks to a route one knock on. it wasn't good football at all. soz. even our set pieces were shit.
Agree with this, for all the talk of Herrera being more suited to a more attacking role there was little sign of it and his sitting deep cut the supply to our attacking players. If Pogba had played in his place he (Pog) would have pushed further up so I dont think it can be blamed on managerial instructions but I'm not going down that road.

With regards to it not being good football, I dont think anyone is claiming it was. But it was resilient, it had intent and we deserved the reward.

Unread 30-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we weren't particularly negative. we were just disjointed in attack - lukaku did f*** all, mikhi and herrera weren't great, the defence was always one barge into the keeper away from calamity... matic, young and the tiger played well, but we hardly played as a team and we won thanks to a route one knock on. it wasn't good football at all. soz. even our set pieces were shit.
People have mistaken negative for shit.

Unread 30-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
love the confidence in the statement though.

'Nonsense'

Nonsense. Sea Turtles invented computer chips. etc
It is nonsense. Having done the research I didn't have time for earlier it turns out the disgusting bastard had 2 late sub appearances and then played most of the game when he replaced Pogba and started 3 more, missing 2 others through injury. That's not a plan B impact sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Hang on Alan, Mourinho "anti-footballed" the Spurs game? We were playing one of the best sides in the league even without their best player, they decided to play for a point and not force the game. Utd, low on confidence still created some half decent chances. Make no mistake, Pogba transforms this team, we badly miss his ability to hold the ball and turn. He's a big influence in such an important part of the pitch.
Did you watch it live muffers? Or just MOTD? CQ? I can't believe anyone who did would seriously argue that United tried to play football.
It was low quality throughout, but the first half in particular was horrific hoofball shite. Look at the posts on this thread during the game from plenty of people other than me saying so.
Even top reds like keith were dropping in snides about the lack of 'football' and upsetting the manager by complaining about Rashford getting subbed for Martial.

Unread 30-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yep. Loved that game tbh. They had 2 sent off because that's the only way they could stop us, bringing down people as last man etc.
Torres was wrongfully sent off for diving.

Unread 30-10-2017, 11:00 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Torres was wrongfully sent off for diving.
Nah. Barely touched him, diving @#%&!. Luiz sent off for bringing one of ours down on the way to goal. We were the better side throughout tbh. Hardly a dogshit performance from us winning there.

Unread 30-10-2017, 11:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
True, but its almost forgotten now that Liverpool had a very conservative set up for that match as well.

Unread 31-10-2017, 02:06 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Do you know that Utd scored more goals, 89, the previous season than that year with RVP, 86, and had the same points total?
Context though, in 11-12 United had to fight for every point down to the final game.

12-13 we were on holiday with 4 games to go and dropped points in 3 of those games...

Chelsea Home - L
Arsenal away - D
West Brom away - D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
diving c***. Luiz sent off for bringing one of ours down on the way to goal.
Ivanovic

Unread 31-10-2017, 06:32 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
True, but its almost forgotten now that Liverpool had a very conservative set up for that match as well.
because it doesn't say anything about united?

except that we are too easy to counter.

Unread 31-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
You continually sniped at Fergie over his last couple of years for the football and standard of entertainment. Fair enough, but why are you then defending Mourinho playing in the fashion he does?

From my opinion even Fergie's dullest football in that time was not even close to how rancid some of the stuff that Mou has played, and was positively sparkling in comparison to LVG.
United’s pathetic approach to the city games under Fergie in latter years? Or just about any game where he thought the squad’s limitations would be exposed, particularly in midfield? No different to mourinho now. A manager doing what he has to do to cover the cracks and get the result so they can avoid disaster. With Fergie, it was inexcusable because he had been here so long and was educated in the united way. The team and weaknesses were fully of his creation, and it was made worse by his claims about no value in the market rather than admit the debt was an issue.

I’m not happy with those kind of tactics against Liverpool the other week, just as I wasn’t under Fergie. But the squad has limitations, particularly when Pogba and Bailey aren’t playing, and a manager has to get results to stay in the job long enough to build. So I will defend Mourinho because he’s not had enough time for me to come to a conclusive opinion. He hasn’t always been negative during his time here. We’ve played some very good stuff, he’s just reverted to safety first under certain circumstances when he felt it necessary. Like Fergie did. What situation would he be in now if we hadn’t won the uefa cup? Or lost to Liverpool and Tottenham without pogba?

Fergie was no different when he started. I remember comments about how he would happily play boring football using the offside trap that was popular at the time, if it meant winning 1-0 every week. He had to be educated into the united idea of trying to win with style. I think Mourinho has the intention to build a proper united team. They’ve been plenty of signs about that. I think Mourinho is well aware of what is required from a united manager in the medium/long term. And if not I’ll give him the opportunity to be educated into it. If, over the next few years, the signs dry up and we’re established into a boring pragmatic team, I’ll change my tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
That team was at the end of its cycle towards the end of Ferie's time tbf. Given the absolute state of them the following season, it is amazing he got them to the title by such a massive margin
It is amazing. But that was largely down to the psychological hold he held over his players, the opposition and just about everyone else, which he’d established over time and past achievements. If it was his first season or two in charge, that team wouldn’t have won anything. It would likely have struggled.