United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
wonky no

Default i used to ask my old fella about best

i'd mither him about how good he was. I knew nothing except that everyone who ever spoke about him said he was something special. i used to record all the snippets of video of him, record the radio discussions about him (they did a couple on gmr) and read books about him.

I was gutted that i was too young to ever have seen him play. i had Best envy! I seriously think i am now witnessing the second coming of the great man. i know comparisons are always being made, rightly or wrongly. Giggs running down the wing was something special. Mark hughes, whiteside, robson and moses were my heros but i don't think even eric comes close to Ronaldo.

I have a feeling my lad will be mithering me in a few years time. infact i'm sure he will. You couldn't ask for a better marriage in football- United and Ronaldo.

Thank £#%&! for youtube, at least my lad wont struggle to see him play.

Unread 27-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Switching Off

I remember GMR. Stuart whats his face doing the Saturday Football Show. Good memories.

Unread 27-02-2009, 11:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Hope I one day have kids to tell about Giggsy, Scholes and all the great players I've seen too.

Unread 27-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Hope I one day have kids to tell about Giggsy, Scholes and all the great players I've seen too.
My lad is 13 now, I expect in 10-15 years time I'll have grandchildren...so in about 25 years I'll be telling them about United from '76 onwards in glowing terms, showing them the scrap book I made in the run up to the '77 cup final, the pics of me before the silver jubilee street party (with my "THE TREBLE'S OFF, THANKS TO JIMMY GREENHOFF" banner), my "Man Utd Are Magic" bar scarf, getting beat 6-0 at Ipswich, and taking ten hours to get home after, "...and Smith must score" (and what a difference Stevie Foster made), Norm's curler (and Robbo's screamer in the semi replay)...and as for the last twenty years...

Next time someone asks why a grey-haired @#%&! like me is acting like an 18 year old at an away game, I'll remember it's because I'll soon be an old man...

Unread 27-02-2009, 11:55 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
My lad is 13 now, I expect in 10-15 years time I'll have grandchildren...so in about 25 years I'll be telling them about United from '76 onwards in glowing terms, showing them the scrap book I made in the run up to the '77 cup final, the pics of me before the silver jubilee street party (with my "THE TREBLE'S OFF, THANKS TO JIMMY GREENHOFF" banner), my "Man Utd Are Magic" bar scarf, getting beat 6-0 at Ipswich, and taking ten hours to get home after, "...and Smith must score" (and what a difference Stevie Foster made), Norm's curler (and Robbo's screamer in the semi replay)...and as for the last twenty years...

Next time someone asks why a grey-haired @#%&! like me is acting like an 18 year old at an away game, I'll remember it's because I'll soon be an old man...
Dickensian at the very least Wafty, brought a tear to my eyes, I think I love you, in a sort of brotherly way.

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
Dickensian at the very least Wafty, brought a tear to my eyes, I think I love you, in a sort of brotherly way.
Are you drinking Cherry Brandy and wearing one of those really big single tartan slippers you old tosspot?

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:05 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:

I do hope a badly printed silk scarf is in the photos

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:05 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Are you drinking Cherry Brandy and wearing one of those really big single tartan slippers you old tosspot?
Note self. Close curtains and raise the drawbridge at Mull Towers at night

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:07 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Note self. Close curtains and raise the drawbridge at Mull Towers at night

to self to self

drunken bum

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:08 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
to self to self

drunken bum
tkaes ne to konw one

ps: How did t'interview go?

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Charlestown Rouge

OD''d on Sanatogen

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:09 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Norm's curler, that FA Cup Final defined my support.

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:11 AM
gbmufc

6-0 at Ipswich and Bailey saved two penalties. Best was pure magic and if Ronaldo ever gets kicked as often as bestie did, and bestie usually got straight up, then he would retire in a week.

You missed some good uns out like 5 at Northampton, the one where he went across the box at otbeating player after player before clipping it inside the opposite post. West ham i think. The famous disallowed goal for Northern Ireland when Banks threw the ball in the air and best intercepted it and scored.

I have fond memories of semi`s against Derby (merlin) and Leeds at Hillsboro. Wolves in 79 2-0 down 3-2 up now were gonna win the cup. Greenhoffs winner at Goodison against the Mickeys (my all time fav). Barca 91, There are so many,

Players who stand out Best and Law, Coppell and Hill, Jordan and Robbo.
Hughes, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Giggs Beckham and Scholes, Ole and Teddy to name a few.

Best was the best tho, I have no doubt.

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:12 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
tkaes ne to konw one

ps: How did t'interview go?

We now go over to Paris for the French vote

who o muny, nil pwan

£#%&! em, shit job, I didnt want to collect the trolleys at Asda anyway

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:13 AM
stax

Quote:

Mate, I keep telling my 14 year old that we weren't always good! I was at Ipswich when we lost 6-0, I also still have my tartan Jim Holton scarfe etc...

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Charlestown Rouge

FFS it's like the British Legion in Longsight on here. Who won the meat raffle?

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:14 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:

The lads with the knock off were in early doors so I didnt bother with the raffle

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:14 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmufc
6-0 at Ipswich and Bailey saved two penalties. Best was pure magic and if Ronaldo ever gets kicked as often as bestie did, and bestie usually got straight up, then he would retire in a week.

You missed some good uns out like 5 at Northampton, the one where he went across the box at otbeating player after player before clipping it inside the opposite post. West ham i think. The famous disallowed goal for Northern Ireland when Banks threw the ball in the air and best intercepted it and scored.

I have fond memories of semi`s against Derby (merlin) and Leeds at Hillsboro. Wolves in 79 2-0 down 3-2 up now were gonna win the cup. Greenhoffs winner at Goodison against the Mickeys (my all time fav). Barca 91, There are so many,

Players who stand out Best and Law, Coppell and Hill, Jordan and Robbo.
Hughes, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Giggs Beckham and Scholes, Ole and Teddy to name a few.

Best was the best tho, I have no doubt.
6. Whose pissed here
The Wolves one was good, rain stoppig 1 mile from the station........ooh happy days

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:16 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
6. Whose pissed here
The Wolves one was good, rain stoppig 1 mile from the station........ooh happy days

The rain stopped>>>

The Doc really was the Messiah

Unread 28-02-2009, 12:16 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Home early from the housewarming Charlie, just coz it was shite, leave us Crown Greeners alone
Closed Thread