United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Crumps

Default Midfield Three

In recent years my favourite mix has been Gattuso, Pirlo and Seedorf and anyone playing it should really be aiming to have players of similar qualities so who would be your ideal 3 for United?

I'd like to see

Fletch
Carrick/Scholes depending on if one can find form and the other's legs hold up.
Cleverley/Giggs seeing as Anderson is going to be out for a while.

Nani and Tony V out wide naturally and Wayne up front of course.

Add Gibson in to the mix and then seeing how the likes of James and Eikrem develop and we could actually be okay in the coming years providing there's enough experience gained before the 2 legends call it a day. Suppose there's always a chance we could buy an attacking mided midfielder though, seriously?

Throb isn't gonna like this I assume.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:23 PM
PaulParkers

Default Re: Midfield Three

That's all well and good if we're playing we're winning but as soon as we start dropping points playing with 3 in the middle using any of those combinations this place will go into meltdown.

Sparky will drive his taxi into the Thames and drown himself for a start.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:25 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
That's all well and good if we're playing we're winning but as soon as we start dropping points playing with 3 in the middle using any of those combinations this place will go into meltdown.

Sparky will drive his taxi into the Thames and drown himself for a start.
Absolutely.
It's not worth the risk.

Of course, we could go into the Transfer market with the 'Ronaldo Money Warchest' & bring in a class midfield player.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Switching Off

Hargo/Fletch/Anderson could've been immense

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:27 PM
The Return of JC

Giggs O'Shea Gibson

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Hargo/Fletch/Anderson could've been immense
If you would have told me two years ago that I would view Fletch as the most important of those three I would flick you really hard in the testes.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:33 PM
BarryX

I hate to say this, but I really haven't got a £#%&!ing clue anymore

Always wanted Hargreaves to come good, so on threads like these he'd be the first name down. But not anymore.....

I also backed Anderson, and wanted him to succeed here with all my little heart, but now he is £#%&!ed as well. Also looked overweight and sluggish and had a slightly bad attitude/PR floating around him. So not anymore....

Carrick ? Question marks surround Carrick ??? When you read an article that says Sunderland for 7 million and you think to yourself, that's an alright price, it is saying something. Not writing him off, but does a player you can imagine going for 7 million to Sunderland get put down in your starting 3 for Utd ??? I don't think so I am afraid.

No question about Fletcher. He has earnt the right to be the first name down for me. Good on him, as well. I'd slot him in on the front right of the three.

Scholes, would have to be in there, too. Every single one of us and all that. So he gets the nod, but in all honesty I would rather someone else start to come through the ranks and fill his role. His temperant worries me a bit these days, but he gets the nod in the middle, pinging passes and pulling strings.

Parky gets my nod on the left. Not the fashionable choice, but as hard a working player as we've got and also links up a treat with Rooney (as I have mentioned over the years, when both players start we tend to not loose, and Rooney tends to score). Ji loves Wayne IDST.

So....

-------------Wayne-----------
Nani-------------------------Tony V.
------Park------------Fletch------
------------GingerKing------------

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Crumps

Thumbs down Re: Midfield Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Giggs O'Shea Gibson
You sick £#%&!.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:36 PM
otbarney

We really need a Robson/Keane type player to break up opponents play then give it to the playmaker. IMO.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
In recent years my favourite mix has been Gattuso, Pirlo and Seedorf and anyone playing it should really be aiming to have players of similar qualities so who would be your ideal 3 for United?

I'd like to see

Fletch
Carrick/Scholes depending on if one can find form and the other's legs hold up.
Cleverley/Giggs seeing as Anderson is going to be out for a while.

Nani and Tony V out wide naturally and Wayne up front of course.

Add Gibson in to the mix and then seeing how the likes of James and Eikrem develop and we could actually be okay in the coming years providing there's enough experience gained before the 2 legends call it a day. Suppose there's always a chance we could buy an attacking mided midfielder though, seriously?

Throb isn't gonna like this I assume.
I'd put up with it if I could watch Seedorf in the shirt

that won't happen of course so i hope to see Ferguson experimenting next season with the 4-1-2-1-1-1 formation. it'll need to be flexible to keep the opposition from knowing 8 months in advance what they're likely to be up against so hopefully we'll have a well-drilled 4-1-1-2-1-1 as back-up

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
-------------Wayne-----------
Nani-------------------------Tony V.
------Park------------Fletch------
------------GingerKing------------
That's about the best we have now. Scholes is the most important player in the 3 and it's a joke that we rely so heavily on a midfielder who turns 36 soon.

We don't even have a Scholes type coming through. I suppose Gibson is the nearest thing but he's too slow both physically and mentally.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:52 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

think we'll see the fletch and carrickio in a flat 2, fletch trying to burst forward whenever to score with berbles playing behind rooney. We're good wide so i have great hopes - 2nd in the league and a euro semi - if you'd have offered that in the 70's and 80's we'd of been in the streets. the young lads coming through is where the action in 2/3 seasons and we'll be the best team in europe.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:53 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
That's about the best we have now. Scholes is the most important player in the 3 and it's a joke that we rely so heavily on a midfielder who turns 36 soon.

We don't even have a Scholes type coming through. I suppose Gibson is the nearest thing but he's too slow both physically and mentally.
Wonks will be on your case now.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:56 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

If Park converted some more chances and had a decent shot on him, it would be a lot stronger too. I honestly think Fabio could make a great midfield player, in Park's position...he's obviously got the defensive capabilities, but has scored plenty in his youth to make me think he could move up the pitch a bit. Just needs to spend a bit more time down the gym..

Unread 19-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Crumps

There's always the option of Tony V playing centrally like he does for Ecuador or maybe even Nani when he's got a bit more experience. Think that it's essential you have a player that can run with the ball at pace as they can be devastating through the middle as Giggsy shown. Anderson looked like he could do that and I really hope we get to the end of this season and he has been the big success story, I for one am not ready to give up on him just yet.

Unread 19-07-2010, 05:14 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up Re: Midfield Three

Quote:
There's always the option of Tony V playing centrally like he does for Ecuador or maybe even Nani when he's got a bit more experience. Think that it's essential you have a player that can run with the ball at pace as they can be devastating through the middle as Giggsy shown. Anderson looked like he could do that and I really hope we get to the end of this season and he has been the big success story, I for one am not ready to give up on him just yet.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you posted in your post Crumps. We should have the ability to run at teams with the ball at our feet, hunting in packs whilst the opposition backs off. One thing for sure is we need a player or two who can unleash shots from outside of the box as well (if you look at the 3 I posted above, neither Park nor Fletch really score many at all (any?) from there). It surprises me a great deal actually, the amount of time these lads have the training pitch....

Unread 19-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
We really need a Robson/Keane type player to break up opponents play then give it to the playmaker. IMO.
Cheeky bid?

[SIZE="1"]With a delicate flick of the wrist he lays the fly on the surface of the water.

Unread 19-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Cheeky bid?

[SIZE="1"]With a delicate flick of the wrist he lays the fly on the surface of the water.
I actually rated him at Wimbledon but his attitude hasn't been the greatest and dancing to Soulja Boy was just £#%&!ing silly. Remember all the hype over Lee Martin when he came from Wombledon, shame he was anorexic like a lot of the young players around at that time. Promising thing about this crop of young uns is most of them actually look physically capable and then there's Pogba who's a £#%&!ing beast. Think it's down to the fact that a lot of the time the players with the best technique tend to be quite slight so when they get older and come up against bigger players they just get bullied out of games unless they do some serious gym work or they are rapid. In that respect Ronnie's a fantastic role model to any player that's as bit on the skinny side.

Unread 19-07-2010, 06:35 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Ronnie's a fantastic role model to any player that's as bit on the skinny side.
I know what you meant by that. But Crumps, come on. A role model ???

Unread 19-07-2010, 06:48 PM
borsuk

scholes
fletcher
carrick

will dominate almost every midfield we're likely to come up against, as they have tended to. certainly the best in england by a distance unless chelsea get somebody creative in to complement essien and lampard.

big seasons for anderson and gibson with each having a chance to stake a claim for a regular starting place in the years to come. anderson needs to rediscover his first season form and gibson needs to produce consistently the kind of performance he gave against bayern at ot. both clearly have it in them, if they have the character, attitude and dedication required.

cleverley, pogba, james, eikrem etc might get a taste of first team play to whet their appetites, if they don't go out on loan, but they're a way off yet.
Closed Thread