United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
If you can use that half a season to judge that he did well, and if it can be used to give him a three year contract, then it doesn’t get magically wiped away when we’re considering the entirety of his tenure.

He did well in that spell, agreed, so we begin there and that’s a plus for Ole. That makes it two years.

Quote:
You’ve missed the point on the ‘ten games’ thing. I don’t think we will either, but the point is that there IS a point where the immediate situation will supersede any potential future success, and more importantly, it’s proof that managers are being assessed as they go, not just on some blind faith that they must be given some arbitrarily assigned amount of time to get it right. It could be ten games, five games, or simply a compounding amount of examples of something not being right. And people will have their own tipping points. Saying ‘he needs time’ regardless of what is actually happening in front of us is as extreme as wanting him sacked after a handful of games.
I've not missed the point, it was just a silly point to be making. No-one said he needs to see out the end of this season no matter what happens between now and the end of the season, even if he loses 10 games in a row. However people are wanting him sacked because he's lost few games. One extreme is being displayed on a daily basis, the other is not.

People who think he should be allowed to get on with the job for the season aren't going to post a massive list of caveats at the same time, just so it's clear to everyone reading that they don't mean he should see out the rest of season period, no matter what happens. It's more based on what has happened to date, not what may or may not happen in the future.

Klopp isn't going to get sacked from Liverpool. But if he loses 10 games in a row, he probably would.

Quote:
Ultimately, I don’t disagree with you in terms of the good he’s done and the positives about this team, and I’m sure that’s what is bringing the board votes of confidence we’re hearing about.

Unread 10-12-2020, 04:47 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

I've not missed the point, it was just a silly point to be making. No-one said he needs to see out the end of this season no matter what happens between now and the end of the season, even if he loses 10 games in a row. However people are wanting him sacked because he's lost few games. One extreme is being displayed on a daily basis, the other is not.

People who think he should be allowed to get on with the job for the season aren't going to post a massive list of caveats at the same time, just so it's clear to everyone reading that they don't mean he should see out the rest of season period, no matter what happens. It's more based on what has happened to date, not what may or may not happen in the future.

Klopp isn't going to get sacked from Liverpool. But if he loses 10 games in a row, he probably would.

Rolleyes, so nothing to actually say. Cool.

And you’ve just repeated your original position re ‘ten games’ and either missed or ignored the point, which I posted in the reply.

I think we’re done here. Have a good one.

Unread 10-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Rolleyes, so nothing to actually say. Cool.

And you’ve just repeated your original position re ‘ten games’ and either missed or ignored the point, which I posted in the reply.

I think we’re done here. Have a good one.
I said what I had to say twice, you ignored it.

And I addressed the point thoroughly, you're just refusing to accept its a stupid point to make in the first place.

Ciao.

Unread 10-12-2020, 05:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I said what I had to say twice, you ignored it.

And I addressed the point thoroughly, you're just refusing to accept its a stupid point to make in the first place.

Ciao.
I have to accept that my point is stupid because you say it is? Ok.

You ignored the fact that I was using ten games as an example, by simply saying it wouldn’t happen, which was your original response too... which wasn’t the point. The point was that there is a point where the immediate will supersede the ‘give them time’ position... which you ignored.

The fact you just put a roll eyes as a response to a point we’re discussing and call a hypothetical ‘stupid’ doesn’t really reflect well and your willingness to engage.

Your last reply was better though

Unread 10-12-2020, 06:10 PM
NedKelly

In the absence of dunk and ak’s weekly showdowns, I guess this will have to do. Any chance you could throw a few more personal insults in there lads? Just so it feels more like home.

Unread 10-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
In the absence of dunk and ak’s weekly showdowns, I guess this will have to do. Any chance you could throw a few more personal insults in there lads? Just so it feels more like home.
Possibly keep the posts a bit snappier as well? It’s a bit of an effort at the moment to keep up

Unread 10-12-2020, 06:34 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Possibly keep the posts a bit snappier as well? It’s a bit of an effort at the moment to keep up
I’m just searching for key words at this point

Unread 10-12-2020, 06:40 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I’m just searching for key words at this point
Try 'Ole'

Unread 10-12-2020, 08:02 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think it’s time to stop talking about Pogba in the future tense.
Or to put it another way, he is one of the great players of the future - and will always be thus.

Unread 10-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Cream

Quote:
100% this. A lot of the clubs traditions are actually Fergie traditions. Nobody under the age of 35 knows anything else.

Part of the problem is being caught between trying to replicate it (Moyes, Ole) and going for the best/proven (LVG, Jose).

There is too much stock put into ‘giving managers time’. It’s a very easy thing to say, with little to no argument other than “let’s wait and see” necessary.

And when a manager is seemingly hastily sacked and their replacement does well, it’s quickly forgotten. I remember people kicking off that Nigel Adkins was unfairly sacked by Southampton when he was replaced by Pochettino.

The assessment should at least be ongoing. You don’t just get 3 years, no questions asked. It’s fair to expect progress after 2 years to be better than year 1, and year 1 to be better than six months into the job.

With Ole, there is some improvement, but there’s serious question marks about whether it’s enough and whether his work in the job has installed any confidence that he is the man to progress us to the next level (competing for titles, competing in the quarters and beyond of the CL). A club with high standards should always be making that judgement. That’s not disloyal, it’s just the way it is. It’s standards and they are Standards that Ole himself is quick to remind us of and standards that he was raised with while he was here.
Have you and Utd99’ers ever heard of a bloke name Matteus Busybey??

Fergie tradition

Only skimmed your posts but pretty sure you’re implying that Freg was a one off and we need to keep chopping and changing managers. He wasn’t and we don’t.

Ole. Better that LVG and Mou.

The right way to appoint and support managers is similar to the right team formation and strategy. Sweeper, holding midfielder, 442, pressing, tikka take. It’s fluid. Success dictates the rules.

Give the Rice Krispy packet looking mother£#%&!er some time.

Unread 10-12-2020, 10:39 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
100%

‘AWB was diabolical the other day’ becomes a small novel concluding along the lines, ‘how can any manager worth his salt with the expectations of this great club expect to keep his job and not see that’ etc etc.

It is incessant and it’s constantly loaded with questions that are all about the managers ability to manage united.
Then don’t read it.

If questions upset you that much maybe a forum’s not the ideal place to hang out.

If you are indeed who they purport you to be, the name change hasn’t done you any favours mate. Much bigger fan of the previous, better known incarnation tbh.

Quote:
Yeah you say that, and then you write the equivalent of War & Peace every single day about why it’s important we hold him to high standards, questioning whether he’s the right man for the job etc. It’s incessant.
£#%&! off. That short enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
You're debating with a guy who argued until he was blue in the face that Ole was right to leave fred on, even after it was pointed out to him that he himself had called for Fred to be subbed.

You cannot reason with that level of idiocy.
Turns out he wanted Ole out too. Who knew?

Unread 10-12-2020, 10:47 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Then don’t read it.

If questions upset you that much maybe a forum’s not the ideal place to hang out.

If you are indeed who they purport you to be, the name change hasn’t done you any favours mate. Much bigger fan of the previous, better known incarnation tbh.

We all know what you think about me pal - but maybe grow some balls when it comes to our manager?

“Now, I’m as Ole in as anyone, but...... *types out essay length post criticising every decision he’s ever made while labelling anyone sticking up for him as RAWK-ish*

Unread 10-12-2020, 11:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
We all know what you think about me pal - but maybe grow some balls when it comes to our manager?

“Now, I’m as Ole in as anyone, but...... *types out essay length post criticising every decision he’s ever made while labelling anyone sticking up for him as RAWK-ish*
Yes, as we should. As we do game by game with the players. Why do questions make you so uncomfortable? Odd.

Unread 10-12-2020, 11:22 PM
Pancho77

Stick with Ole we all know where the problem lies and thats the vermin who own the club. Ole is growing into the role and learning. He is young for a manager and will continue to improve. At least we are watching a team who can be entertaining after the utter boring shit since Fergie even if its at both ends of the pitch !!

Unread 11-12-2020, 12:15 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Then don’t read it.

Well I think my previous incarnation wasn’t too arsed about what people thought of him or whether people agreed with him - simply he had a view and if people agreed then fine and if people didn’t then fine. Nothing’s changed.

I think people have fundamental doubts about ole that they project onto the outcomes of this team. I think that’s unfair. I think it’s disproportionate to the issues and reflects a modern fan syndrome. I think he’s also done a better job already then every one of our previous 3 managers but I also think he’s made mistakes. But if he’s given patience and support, he will get it right. Everything’s on a knife edge with him because of the media, and even our own fans criticism and I think that’s unfair pressure. He loses confidence, it’s a fragile thing and he may not have the strength to succeed- just like Fergie in 89 tbh which was knife edge stuff.

The alternative is a merry go round in which we look like the most stupid @#%&! of a fotball club that’s ever existed. Chopping and changing in a whimsical fashion. That seems to be the route we will take now but the club can do it without me.

Ps I’ve been drinking.

Unread 11-12-2020, 09:16 AM
barca99

I don't think anybody is denying Ole has done well in part on and off the pitch, but he has also done bad as well.

This season was it not for everyone else having slow starts we would be well behind again. Focusing on ourselves its been a bang average start to the league campaign and bar the odd game we haven't played well at all, certainly for a full 90 minutes. 3 defeats in 10 games ffs and don't get me started on our home record.

He has somehow got us knocked out of the CL when we needed 4 points from 4 games to go through

When the rest get their act together, and they will, we will be shown up once again lingering in mid table scrapping for 4th spot.

As starts go, its been pretty shit, but he has been let off, in the league anyway.

Unread 11-12-2020, 09:36 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
He has somehow got us knocked out of the CL when we needed 4 points from 4 games to go through
It's not like the players didn't have a say , the defending was truly woeful at times. There's only so much blame any manager can shoulder.

Unread 11-12-2020, 09:53 AM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
It's not like the players didn't have a say , the defending was truly woeful at times. There's only so much blame any manager can shoulder.
Agreed, but he didn't help himself.

Its a toss up for who i blame more him or Martial, I am just taking it out on Ole at the moment.

Unread 11-12-2020, 09:54 AM
programmes?

Quote:
I don't think anybody is denying Ole has done well in part on and off the pitch, but he has also done bad as well.

1. This season was it not for everyone else having slow starts we would be well behind again. Focusing on ourselves its been a bang average start to the league campaign and bar the odd game we haven't played well at all, certainly for a full 90 minutes. 3 defeats in 10 games ffs and don't get me started on our home record.

2. When the rest get their act together, and they will, we will be shown up once again lingering in mid table scrapping for 4th spot.

As starts go, its been pretty shit, but he has been let off, in the league anyway.
1. Are we not allowed to suffer from the same issues that other clubs have? What makes us different to the others, that we should be immune?

2. Why won't we get our act together at the same time? 5 points from the top with a game in hand (Burnley?).

Unread 11-12-2020, 09:57 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Agreed, but he didn't help himself.

Its a toss up for who i blame more him or Martial, I am just taking it out on Ole at the moment.
The Fred sub was a major £#%&! up, but they happen and even multi-championship winning managers can make mistakes. Nobody's perfect and hopefully he'll have learnt, albeit the hard way.

You've really got to add our current captain to your list, btw.
Closed Thread