United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:28 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090 View Post
Yes that bloke I saw on twitter was a dick. I agree with you on that one.

As for the other points, do we live in a civilised society? I’d argue against this based upon the class divisions that are growing in this country.

Where do we draw the line. Should swearing be banned (forest tried this - how did this work out)

Or de we live in a society that allows freedom of speech and expression

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong. It’s just a different point of view
More broadly we are seeing both sides of the political fringes trying and in many cases succeeding in restricting free speech. As ever more speech moves online or technology improves I suspect that trend will continue.

I've sang about Heysel plenty of times so it's hypocritical but with each passing year it becomes more tenous. It's not like singing about it has any chance of bringing about any actual justice, it was almost 40 years ago and we should probably stop using deaths that we're not particularly arsed about to score points.

The main issue with tragedy chanting is not moral but practical. Chanting just about anything is better than silence but we have such an excellent repertoire
of songs that don't get an airing and if used would improve the atmosphere further and in rare instances even help the shit@#%&!s out on the pitch.

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:31 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
It is not all a bit hypocritical? I don't even mean the years of "who's that lying on the runway?", the actual banners they took to games etc.

Weren't they revelling in the death of the queen this very season with songs etc.?

exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090 View Post
It’s a working class sport for working class people.

No, it's not mate. Not anymore. It hasn't been that for a long time.

Unread 22-03-2024, 11:37 AM
pc6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
exactly.

No, it's not mate. Not anymore. It hasn't been that for a long time.
Outside of the PL it is

Unread 22-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Lok

This movement to be offended by anything and everything is ridiculous. People need to grow up and just get one with their lives. Whatever happened to sticks and stones? They're just words. Most people weren't there or weren't closely effected by the tragedies. If I see someone chanting Munich my first instinct isn't to run to the police and complain that someone hurt my feelings. I'd probably just think they're a pathetic bunch of @#%&!s.

Equally, I can't imagine chanting about tragedies to score points. I get that alcohol and tribalism take over but it's not really for me.

Unread 22-03-2024, 12:02 PM
wiganste

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68632780

3 Arsenal fans banned for tragedy chanting

It's pathetic

Unread 22-03-2024, 12:57 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
Whatever happened to sticks and stones? They're just words.

i'm not gonna be weaaaaring the shoes...

Unread 22-03-2024, 01:04 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68632780

3 Arsenal fans banned for tragedy chanting

It's pathetic

3 years

Unread 22-03-2024, 01:24 PM
jem

when they start arresting people for their poor taste, a lot of seats will be empty.

Unread 22-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Bunker Buster

Have sung some pretty rum stuff as a youth, but wouldn't these days, it's odd to me when you see the videos of fully grown middle aged men doing "fence faces" etc.....

The two and fro'ing and grassing from all sets of supporters though is odd....

"Yeah but they had a Munich flag in the away end in 85"
"Murderers is actually about herself"
"Hillsborough still ricochets through Hutton every day"
"Our tragedy is WORSE"
"LOOK AT THIS VIDEO he's doing the arms"

Etc etc....

It's all just a bit £#%&!ing weird....

Unread 22-03-2024, 03:13 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
I can’t be arsed with it tbh. It’s £#%&!ing stupid.

It’s all a bit dumb. Every time we play them they sing the “fergie’s right you’re fans are shite” song which has the predicable reply every single time. Our fans take the bait every time.

It allows them to take the moral high ground every time and try and deflect from the fact they got beat.
Whilst I totely accept that United fans should'nt be lowering themselves to the scousers level, it also has to be said that we would all like to think their would be at least a small handful of jurno's with long memories & remind the scousers that they started all that nonsence(yes I know most of them had their ears & eyes closed during the 70's & 80's) with their sick chanting about The Munich Air Disaster for decades & some of them still have'nt stopped singing it.

Unread 22-03-2024, 04:29 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
It has to be said that they have mentioned, but only in passing, the tragedy chanting that United fans engaged with...

Harmless banter, hateful banter or unacceptable?

What’s the view?
Are we talking the Bee Gees' original or the Step's version?

Unread 22-03-2024, 04:31 PM
Msgr A Brook

Football creates an artificial, aggressive atmosphere by taking away the threat of consequences. People say and do stupid stuff when separated by a line of coppers. I've sat in hundreds of pubs with City and Liverpool fans watching derbies and hardly seen a punch thrown because the threat of getting stoved in if you go over the top is real. Split people up with a fence and they get very hard, very quick. Don't sing any song that includes the words 'the Sun was right'.

Unread 22-03-2024, 04:38 PM
magic_cantona

It's incredible the amount of "such awful behaviour! We would NEVER!" attitudes from Scouse quarters. Also, the absolute balls on the to:

A) pretend "Murderers" is about Hillsborough and

B) Pretend they never sing anything terrible, ever.

The chants aren't for me, don't find them funny but they are Murderers so that one gets a pass and isn't Tragedy Chanting. Anyone over the age of 10 that thinks Hillsborough or Munich or Istanbul is funny needs £#%&!ing.

Unread 22-03-2024, 07:33 PM
Knockers

I wasn’t at the match but on tv it sounded like thousands were at it with ‘The Sun was right’.

I can’t think of anything I’ve cringed at more, but then I’ve long since given up on most of our fans. The Red Ish Boris masks/pics all those years ago was a rare mis-step from them but nowadays…..people are just so £#%&!ing thick and have been conditioned that ‘trolling’ is hysterical. They’ll sing it without a thought. Like we’re Southampton or something.

I’d ban any singing about LFC personally because the obsession/inferiority complex so many reds have is incredibly boring.

Unread 22-03-2024, 10:22 PM
Dacter

Will admit to having sung the worst of them as a younger man years ago, before I pretty much grew up and got a sense of perspective.

Using the deaths of people to try to rile thousands of unrelated people years afterwards is pathetic.

At the same time, whingeing to the police because somebody sang a tasteless song is pathetic.

The whole “he said she said” tit for tat nature of it is pathetic.

Using the resources of an underfunded police force to arrest and prosecute people for singing a tasteless song is pathetic.

Even the phrase “tragedy chanting” is pathetic. It just feels like a crowbarred term because they couldn’t think of a name for the “offence” which sounded suitably criminal.

Basically the whole thing is pathetic.

But I’ll still back anybody who sings “always the victim”, no matter how much the lying bastards try to con people to believe it’s about Hillsborough. If anything, them trying to do so just proves the point of that song a hundred times over.

Unread 23-03-2024, 09:33 AM
TreeFiddy

Juvenile and in bad taste. Also just a really weird thing to sing at a football match! I always feel compelled to respond with “Fergie’s right, Steps are shite.”

Unread 23-03-2024, 09:54 AM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy View Post
Juvenile and in bad taste. Also just a really weird thing to sing at a football match! I always feel compelled to respond with “Fergie’s right, Steps are shite.”

Unread 23-03-2024, 09:59 AM
no fun

Now for me the death of thatcher was one of the happiest moments of my life, but for others it was very upsetting, some may say a tragedy

But some anti tragedy songs types sang….

Unread 23-03-2024, 10:43 AM
Zorg

We love you tragedy, we do
Oh, tragedy, we love you

Satan, give us a death
Satan Satan give us a death

[loud cheer]

Unread 23-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Wade

The greatest trick the Scousers ever pulled was convincing people that Always The Victims is tragedy chanting

Well that and 'Independent Panels' that somehow include the Bishop of Liverpool, the writer of a fictional ITV drama on Hillsborough and even a RAWK poster.