United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 13-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Whalefish

My hangover has only just shifted but I admit I like Tuchel. Thought he set them up well last night and got his tactics spot on. It does help having a couple in midfield who are mobile and (fairly) dynamic though. Each time they turned Matic and he was trudging towards our own goal I winced, was like watching an obese chap with gout trying to run.

Incidentally who was the CM they brought on? He looked to have the qualities I want in a few United CMs - confident, composed, received the ball under pressure and looked after it. Wasn't shy when it came to getting stuck in either.

Heard a few things last night that Ole looked clueless on the touchline. I disagree, he looked irritated possibly even angry. There's only so much a coach can do before you have to hand over to the players and say go and do your job. It's not a lack of desire or effort IMO, it's a lack of quality. Most, if not all, try the problem is a number of them simply aren't up to it and when Ole references the next level I think he's acutely aware who can step up and who can't. I don't think this PSG side can win the CL but they're still a better team - even with injuries - than the one United can put out.

Oh, United need a Plan B that isn't Sanchez or Lukaku. £#%&! me.

Unread 13-02-2019, 07:46 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
My hangover has only just shifted but I admit I like Tuchel. Thought he set them up well last night and got his tactics spot on. It does help having a couple in midfield who are mobile and (fairly) dynamic though. Each time they turned Matic and he was trudging towards our own goal I winced, was like watching an obese chap with gout trying to run.

Incidentally who was the CM they brought on? He looked to have the qualities I want in a few United CMs - confident, composed, received the ball under pressure and looked after it. Wasn't shy when it came to getting stuck in either.

Heard a few things last night that Ole looked clueless on the touchline. I disagree, he looked irritated possibly even angry. There's only so much a coach can do before you have to hand over to the players and say go and do your job. It's not a lack of desire or effort IMO, it's a lack of quality. Most, if not all, try the problem is a number of them simply aren't up to it and when Ole references the next level I think he's acutely aware who can step up and who can't. I don't think this PSG side can win the CL but they're still a better team - even with injuries - than the one United can put out.

Oh, United need a Plan B that isn't Sanchez or Lukaku. £#%&! me.

you talking about Peandres I take it...they just signed him from Zenit last month, looks a bit better than Fred but then so does my 94 years old grandad

think he is to replace Rabiot

Unread 13-02-2019, 07:51 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Disgraceful night all round.

Root and branch needed.

Dont tell me im crazy for wanting leadership gone and loads of players binned. Now or never.
Got zero confidence on Woody bringing in who we need.
Only hope is a director of mongball and even then that will take him a season to get his arse settled in.

whatever.... as long as we hire Ole, i'll take that. ( oh n sanchez n lolkaku sold to idiots )

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:05 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
you talking about Peandres I take it...they just signed him from Zenit last month, looks a bit better than Fred but then so does my 94 years old grandad

think he is to replace Rabiot
Another player that would have improved us

Argentinian though...

We all know how that works out for us (2nd choice keepers aside).

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Got zero confidence on Woody bringing in who we need.
Only hope is a director of mongball and even then that will take him a season to get his arse settled in.

whatever.... as long as we hire Ole, i'll take that. ( oh n sanchez n lolkaku sold to idiots )
I had some hope re the match last night, more than I had when it was announced, but last night again underlined why United have to come out of the dark ages and appoint a DoF asap. Inc Fergie last nights squad involved players signed by four managers all with different ideas around how the game should be played. United need consistency in terms of recruitment, players for a specific style not the manager.

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Lodestar

Surprised by the negatively after last night. It was a painful second half but we were up against serious contenders who are financially doped to £#%&!. We've not got that spending power and allied with some calamitous transfer decisions post-Fergie it's where we are. Ole has to work with what he's got.

There was frustration after the game last night - not resignation. Big contrast to the Seville game and the Mou mindset...

Bring on Chelsea. Onwards.

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:49 PM
AK14

Thumbs up

Quote:
I had some hope re the match last night, more than I had when it was announced, but last night again underlined why United have to come out of the dark ages and appoint a DoF asap. Inc Fergie last nights squad involved players signed by four managers all with different ideas around how the game should be played. United need consistency in terms of recruitment, players for a specific style not the manager.
Yep.

Been banging this drum for a while.

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:49 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Surprised by the negatively after last night. It was a painful second half but we were up against serious contenders who are financially doped to £#%&!. We've not got that spending power and allied with some calamitous transfer decisions post-Fergie it's where we are. Ole has to work with what he's got.

There was frustration after the game last night - not resignation. Big contrast to the Seville game and the Mou mindset...

Bring on Chelsea. Onwards.

and it may have been an entirely different result had their No3 been sent off which he clearly should have been

Unread 13-02-2019, 09:55 PM
jem

Quote:
It does help having a couple in midfield who are mobile and (fairly) dynamic though. Each time they turned Matic and he was trudging towards our own goal I winced, was like watching an obese chap with gout trying to run.
you mean it was a bit like bailly and linde having a five-yard head start on mbappe?

matic played well, especially cruising forward with the ball. seriously didn't expect you to be a matic-basher.

what we needed last night was valencia in midfield with herrera and matic. pogba can run around without any defensive job to worry about. might even have managed to find some space.

Unread 13-02-2019, 09:56 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you mean it was a bit like bailly and linde having a five-yard head start on mbappe?

matic played well, especially cruising forward with the ball. seriously didn't expect you to be a matic-basher.

what we needed last night was valencia in midfield with herrera and matic. pogba can run around without any defensive job to worry about. might even have managed to find some space.
he was £#%&!ing diabolical at their first goal and it summed up how slow he is

Unread 13-02-2019, 10:02 PM
waynes ear's

Valencia

£#%&! off

Unread 13-02-2019, 10:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
he was £#%&!ing diabolical at their first goal and it summed up how slow he is
de gea should have come for the cross. matic wasn't slow as much as he didn't go for the ball. if he'd just stuck out a leg, it could just as easily have been an o.g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Valencia

£#%&! off
tony the tiger would bounce you out of the pub, earsy. he is one tough bastard. although he wouldn't need to be for that, obvs.

Unread 13-02-2019, 10:33 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
de gea should have come for the cross. matic wasn't slow as much as he didn't go for the ball. if he'd just stuck out a leg, it could just as easily have been an o.g.

tony the tiger would bounce you out of the pub, earsy. he is one tough bastard. although he wouldn't need to be for that, obvs.
The Secret Footballer confirmed Valencia was nails.

Unread 13-02-2019, 10:40 PM
jem

mbappe would have £#%&!ing wet himself.

Unread 13-02-2019, 11:19 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

mbappe would have £#%&!ing wet himself.
From pissing laughing.

Valencia is even shitter than ashley young.

Unread 13-02-2019, 11:23 PM
atticusgrinch

Still can't get over Young playing centre forward for that second goal.

Sweet Jesus.

Unread 13-02-2019, 11:37 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
From pissing laughing.

Valencia is even shitter than ashley young.
young isn't a midfielder.

Unread 14-02-2019, 01:34 AM
mr_west

It wasn't some genius tactical approach from Tuchel.

He played on the counter, which is what our default tactical approach is against anyone decent and celebrated. Thanks Fraggle.

It works, when someone attempts to play on the front foot as many premier league sides do now and the majority of good sides do. If they're stupid.

However it leaves us at a loss facing the same tactics, and especially when they do it better. And no change was made, tactically.

I'll do that against Mbappe?

Memo from PSG - Thanks

Unread 14-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_west

He played on the counter, which is what our default tactical approach is against anyone decent and celebrated. Thanks Fraggle.

It works, when someone attempts to play on the front foot as many premier league sides do now and the majority of good sides do. If they're stupid.

However it leaves us at a loss facing the same tactics, and especially when they do it better. And no change was made, tactically.

Memo from PSG - Thanks
So they more or less dominated possession but played on the counter?

Unread 14-02-2019, 10:33 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_west

Memo from PSG - Thanks
I don't think football is for you pal.