United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Liu Jian

Default Re: Today's games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Mate, let's not start pretending Ozil wanted 130k a week ffs. Even if he did, if a top young player wants that, who we could get for £12m then £#%&!ing pay it. That's the price now.
Sid Lowe said he's on £5m a year after tax, so he's on a fair bit. But if we weren't interested in him, the Club would have been better off saying they had other targets, given the sheer amount of speculation (%@#$&!s or not).

Because they didn't, we ended up with silly Bebe v Ozil debates.

Unread 29-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Mate, let's not start pretending Ozil wanted 130k a week ffs. Even if he did, if a top young player wants that, who we could get for £12m then £#%&!ing pay it. That's the price now.
If it is, then Utd won't pay it and the club would have been very unlikely to do it a few years back as well. Any idea what Rooney's starting salary was? I very much doubt it was 5million after tax.

Given the strict wage structure, the drive to ensure the total amount paid is only 50% of turnover (I think) or less, it's going to be nigh on impossible to pay that sort of cash. As Gill mentioned the other day it'll be young prospects, and turning them into 'stars'. Whatever the £#%&! he meant.

Anyway, I'm slipping off for an evening with Herzog.

Unread 29-08-2010, 07:22 PM
dunk

There are only 3 clubs in World Football who can pay those kind of wages now, and 2 of them can't afford to and shouldn't be allowed to.

It won't be long until the wages start coming back down.

Unread 29-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
If it is, then Utd won't pay it and the club would have been very unlikely to do it a few years back as well. Any idea what Rooney's starting salary was? I very much doubt it was 5million after tax.

Given the strict wage structure, the drive to ensure the total amount paid is only 50% of turnover (I think) or less, it's going to be nigh on impossible to pay that sort of cash. As Gill mentioned the other day it'll be young prospects, and turning them into 'stars'. Whatever the £#%&! he meant.

Anyway, I'm slipping off for an evening with Herzog.
I think it was £75,000 a week when he joined us, rising to £100,000 over the following few years.

Like I said, I think the Fergie would have been better off denying interest in Ozil. Might have led to some criticism, but probably less as a result of the phantom disappointment that we didn't sign him.

Unread 29-08-2010, 07:40 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
Do you really think Fergie has no money to spend? In all seriousness.
Relatively speaking yes, he has some money.
I'm sure he's allowed to spend £10-12mill each Summer - providing there's at least one player moved on to free up a wage & balance the books.

As for competing for the signature of the likes of a Rooney or a Rio again, there's no chance.

Unread 29-08-2010, 07:55 PM
The Watcher

Exactly, the next 'Ronaldo' or 'Rooney' that's available, we'll have no £#%&!ing chance of signing them. But it's ok, as the usual apologists for the current regime will turn up and claim we've never signed anyone good in our history. Fantastic.

'Value'

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
I've been out working all afternoon and just seen this! Hahhahahahahahaha.

All. That. £#%&!ing. Money.

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:19 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Exactly, the next 'Ronaldo' or 'Rooney' that's available, we'll have no £#%&!ing chance of signing them. But it's ok, as the usual apologists for the current regime will turn up and claim we've never signed anyone good in our history. Fantastic.

'Value'
really? who's been saying that then?

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:24 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

'Value'
We've never competed for big players mate. We sign kids and win loads of trophies with them, it's what we do.

It'll be very interesting if we don't win a major trophy this season.

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:26 PM
red in cumbria

Jesus Christ, Muffers - any more straw men you would like to cram into a single post, mate??

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:31 PM
andyroo

I think we should have a headline competition for dear old Carlitos's demonstration of his magificent finishing prowess this afternoon.

CLUELESS TEVEZ.

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Zorg

'Tevez misses easy chance'.

Unread 29-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Sparky***

That's Giggs v Arsenal in the Cup.

£#%&!ing hell.

Unread 29-08-2010, 09:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Relatively speaking yes, he has some money.
I'm sure he's allowed to spend £10-12mill each Summer - providing there's at least one player moved on to free up a wage & balance the books.

As for competing for the signature of the likes of a Rooney or a Rio again, there's no chance.
See, that's the bit that £#%&!s me off. Who did we compete with for the signatures of Rio and Rooney? Newcastle? who else? Nobody.

Shearer - lost out to Blackburn who offered more money
Keane - Blackburn offered more but he wanted to play for United
Andy Cole - Not competing with anyone, but bought him because we couldn't/wouldn't pay for Stan Collymore
Shearer - Lost Out to Newcastle (Jack Walker's fault)
Dwight Yorke - Competing with nobody
Jaap Stam - Competing with nobody
Veron - got him at a reduced rate and didn't have to compete with anyone due to the passport scandal, no one wanted him.
van Nistelrooy - talk of interest from Madrid and one or two others, but only United triued to buy him.
Ferdinand - Competing with nobody, many people bitched that we massively overspent on him and should've bought Cannavaro or Nesta
Rooney - Competing with Newcastle, was only ever going to sign for us, Chelsea were newly rich and didn't even get involved.
Berbatov - Competing with City, who out bid us and were prepared to offer the player more.
Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves - Spurs may have been interested in Nani, nobody for the other 2.

So, just going off those examples, off the top of my head, although we have often thrown big money about (well not often, occasionally) we have rarely been 'competing' with anyone and when we have, we have lost out on a lot of occasions, cash rich or not.

It's not about competing in the transfer market, it's about identifying the players you want and ensuring you get them.

Unread 29-08-2010, 10:00 PM
MJ Ramone

I meant 'competing' in the sense of having the funds to be able to spend £30mill on one player, rather than say being in competition with another Club directly.

Unread 29-08-2010, 10:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I meant 'competing' in the sense of having the funds to be able to spend £30mill on one player, rather than say being in competition with another Club directly.
As long as the player wants to come and City or Madrid aren't sniffing, putting the price up, the price won't be an issue, as we'll be in a strong position to pay on the drip, as we have for Rio, Rooney, Berbatov, Anderson, Nani and most other signings in recent years.

Unread 29-08-2010, 10:56 PM
£#%&! KFC

wtf was Hart doing for that penalty

England;s No1

Unread 29-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Part 36 Offer

Great to see the tashes get beat.
Closed Thread