United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
thatsfuctit

Default Re: someone on here was recently asking how good dalglish was

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he was quality, the only spark of genuine creativity they managed in two decades of dreary back passing tbh.
stuck his big arse into defenders, shielded the ball distributed the ball brilliantly, great eye for goal and a pass.

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Just like we did to Dalglish years later with Keano
I remember when Shearer was leaving Southampton, we'd agreed £8K a week for him to sign. He had his medical and Dalglish was waiting outside in his Merc. Shearer gets in and Dalglish asks what we've offered. "8K a week" Shearer says. "We'll give you 12" says Dalglish and we lost out on Shearer to Blackburn. He single handed won them the league when Eric was banned. 5 in a row we'd have had. Probably a hat-trick of doubles too.

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I remember when Shearer was leaving Southampton, we'd agreed £8K a week for him to sign. He had his medical and Dalglish was waiting outside in his Merc. Shearer gets in and Dalglish asks what we've offered. "8K a week" Shearer says. "We'll give you 12" says Dalglish and we lost out on Shearer to Blackburn. He single handed won them the league when Eric was banned. 5 in a row we'd have had. Probably a hat-trick of doubles too.
Would we have signed Eric though?

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
Would we have signed Eric though?
Good point, probably not.

Unread 05-09-2010, 11:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Good point, probably not.
Given that, as I said, we also got our own back with Keane a couple of years later - I like to think we got the better side of the deal in the end. Though - and I know this isn't terribly "Top Red" of me - part of me would still have loved to see SOP playing at OT

Unread 05-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Given that, as I said, we also got our own back with Keane a couple of years later - I like to think we got the better side of the deal in the end. Though - and I know this isn't terribly "Top Red" of me - part of me would still have loved to see SOP playing at OT
The first player since WWII to score 30 goals in 3 consecutive seasons. Him and Eric up front would have made United unplayable imho. Still, it didn't work out too badly in the end, did it?

Unread 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
johnfuego

"When he scored...he had a better smile than Clark Gable. Beautiful teeth, arms wide, that's how he celebrated. He wasn't that big but he had a huge arse. It came well below his knees, that's where he got his strength from."

Brian Clough.

Unread 06-09-2010, 10:03 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Macari was going to sign for vermin, but we hijacked it the night before he wad due to sign.
Is that right? So that quote from Shankly some vermin @#%&! sent me (Docherty: A hundred thousand wouldn't buy him, Shankly: I'm one of the hundred thousand) is horse shit then. What a surprise.

Dogleash on ESPN every £#%&!ing night? Sod that. When's Eric Week?

Unread 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Is that right? So that quote from Shankly some vermin @#%&! sent me (Docherty: A hundred thousand wouldn't buy him, Shankly: I'm one of the hundred thousand) is horse shit then. What a surprise.

Dogleash on ESPN every £#%&!ing night? Sod that. When's Eric Week?
yeah - heard Lou interviewed on talkshite i think, it was all but agreed, he was at anfield as a guest for a match the night before he was due to sign, and bumped into someone from the United camp, who asked him what he was doing there (crerand maybe not sure) and he alerted united...managed to find some reference to it on the net

'He headed south to sign for Liverpool and ended up being snatched at the last minute by Manchester United, who at that time were far less successful than their Merseyside rivals. He'd have ended his career with more medals at Liverpool but he doesn't regret joining United. He got career decisions right. It's other things in life he got wrong.'

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...ari.4370697.jp

Unread 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Spiffy

The best one of course was the legendary Bill Shankly's comments when being offered the Liverpool job.
"Mr Shankly, how would you like to manage the best football club in the world?"
"Has Matt Busby left Uinted?" Ouch.

Unread 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
red in cumbria

Though Busby and Shankly were rivals, its often forgotten that they had great respect for one another..........

Their very similar upbringings probably had quite a lot to do with that.
Closed Thread