United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:18 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
all of his worst moments were when he had already gone past walker.
I mean dribble past.

He was released by very good passes whenever he was actually beyond him. Then as you say, £#%&!ed it up.

Whenever he's up against defenders 1 on 1, the vast majority of the time he loses the ball either running into a dead end or giving it away cheaply.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:19 PM
The taste of...

Whenever he gets seriously called out by the support he bangs a goal in

After that it’s back to trying to chuck Erik under a bus for his pal in Germany

Rinse and repeat.

He’s had too much airtime get £#%&!ing rid

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:31 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
I mean dribble past.

He was released by very good passes whenever he was actually beyond him. Then as you say, £#%&!ed it up.

Whenever he's up against defenders 1 on 1, the vast majority of the time he loses the ball either running into a dead end or giving it away cheaply.
I know (and agree) what you meant. but he can't even stay past defenders. not walker, anyway. walker caught him because he miscontrolled the ball with his head or because he didn't stay strong... even if he wasn't quicker, he should have kept possession.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:39 PM
Sparky***

I think his problems stem from the fact that he's mentally very fragile.

He's obviously got some kind of off-field issues going on which have absolutely wrecked his head. When you have to do interviews telling everyone how hard you've had it and how committed and resilient you are - that's a red flag.

He's not a top player and never will be. You can't train someone to have that bit of arrogance or confidence to size up a defender when they've got the ball and know they're going to just ruin them.

Ronaldo had it, Messi had it, players like Haaland and Salah have it. He just hasn't got it in him.

That couple of moments when he could have got in behind city yesterday were perfect examples. The first he nods the ball down straight into the floor instead of infront of himself and kills all the momentum. The second is arguably worse because it wasn't mis-control, he just didn't have the belief in himself that he could get to the ball ahead of Walker and do anything with it. He chose the easy way out by falling over.

If he weren't a home grown player and hadn't built up this off field image of a local lad with a heart of gold then he'd have been sold already.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
I think his problems stem from the fact that he's mentally very fragile.

He's obviously got some kind of off-field issues going on which have absolutely wrecked his head. When you have to do interviews telling everyone how hard you've had it and how committed and resilient you are - that's a red flag.

He's not a top player and never will be. You can't train someone to have that bit of arrogance or confidence to size up a defender when they've got the ball and know they're going to just ruin them.

Ronaldo had it, Messi had it, players like Haaland and Salah have it. He just hasn't got it in him.

That couple of moments when he could have got in behind city yesterday were perfect examples. The first he nods the ball down straight into the floor instead of infront of himself and kills all the momentum. The second is arguably worse because it wasn't mis-control, he just didn't have the belief in himself that he could get to the ball ahead of Walker and do anything with it. He chose the easy way out by falling over.

If he weren't a home grown player and hadn't built up this off field image of a local lad with a heart of gold then he'd have been sold already.
I thought the second was the wild air shot when he was as free as a bird at the back post.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:50 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I thought the second was the wild air shot when he was as free as a bird at the back post.
Ah yes i'd forgotten about that

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:55 PM
thatsfuctit

He's in @#%&!ter mode. The goal, @#%&!ter mode worked, far post air shot, it didn't.

Harland passed the ball into the net, Rashford has got no composure most of the time, he just blazes at it.

Unread 04-03-2024, 01:09 PM
Baron

Composure is one thing, basic technique is quite another.

What on earth can justify the fundamental failure to nod a ball into 20 yards of space & then get a shot off? I'd criticise him for not scoring but at least he did the basics. That header was a war crime.

The air-shot just as bad, looking to take the graphics off the ball when it just needs to be slotted. We saw Big Rassers have similar issues early in the season, then he settled & found his composure - he never failed to nod a bouncing ball into space or battle for a ball when against the last defender though.

I have no idea what is going on in Rashford's head, but he's basically a poor footballer with a lack of aggression. If there was any possibility of PSG pumping a fortune for him after Mbappe leaves we should bite their hands off.

Unread 04-03-2024, 02:25 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Composure is one thing, basic technique is quite another.

What on earth can justify the fundamental failure to nod a ball into 20 yards of space & then get a shot off? I'd criticise him for not scoring but at least he did the basics. That header was a war crime.

The air-shot just as bad, looking to take the graphics off the ball when it just needs to be slotted. We saw Big Rassers have similar issues early in the season, then he settled & found his composure - he never failed to nod a bouncing ball into space or battle for a ball when against the last defender though.

I have no idea what is going on in Rashford's head, but he's basically a poor footballer with a lack of aggression. If there was any possibility of PSG pumping a fortune for him after Mbappe leaves we should bite their hands off.
I dont see any other outcome tbh. Who else could placate their fans? He's exactly the kind of player they want.

Marvellous for us if true.

Unread 05-03-2024, 02:09 AM
westcoastvan

Attitude wise I do think he's been corrupted by the rotten culture under the Glazers, but....

I also think there is something going on between him and Ten Hag. I do think Ten Hag has overworked and overtrained many of the players to the point of exhaustion, but...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rashford wants him out the door. He's been part of a squad that's downed tools on the last three managers.

Finally, I think people expect too much from Rashford. Though I think he's better; on paper....

He's a lesser Raheem Sterling.

Think about that. Avram & Joel Glazer have run this club so much into the ground that United's best player stats wise is a lesser Raheem Sterling.

Unread 05-03-2024, 09:05 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

This. He's from just down the road from me and it's great seeing a local lad in the red shirt. But if he's not good enough, he's not good enough. United shouldn't be indulging this shit.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:15 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan View Post
Attitude wise I do think he's been corrupted by the rotten culture under the Glazers, but....

I also think there is something going on between him and Ten Hag. I do think Ten Hag has overworked and overtrained many of the players to the point of exhaustion, but...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rashford wants him out the door. He's been part of a squad that's downed tools on the last three managers.

Finally, I think people expect too much from Rashford. Though I think he's better; on paper....

He's a lesser Raheem Sterling.

Think about that. Avram & Joel Glazer have run this club so much into the ground that United's best player stats wise is a lesser Raheem Sterling.
I got the impression before Sancho signed that the two were mates. Might be totally wrong, but if they were/are close, Rashford's attitude towards the manager might be related to what he perceives as his mate being badly treated. That's how I've been reading it, at least.

Unread 05-03-2024, 03:39 PM
Dacter

Has trademarked the phrase "Local Lad"

Unread 05-03-2024, 03:42 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I got the impression before Sancho signed that the two were mates. Might be totally wrong, but if they were/are close, Rashford's attitude towards the manager might be related to what he perceives as his mate being badly treated. That's how I've been reading it, at least.
Lingard also...

Unread 05-03-2024, 04:27 PM
westcoastvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX View Post
I believe they were friends as a result of their early days on the national team. If I recall correctly, I remember a media report about Rashford encouraging him to join United?

You do get the impression that Sancho is sort of lurking in the shadows, waiting for a manager change.

I don't think the way De Gea was dumped earned Ten Hag any popularity either...all speculation of course...who knows what's going on behind the scenes.