United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
He was definitely better than Teddy ffs
he was a better finisher, but no way was he a better footballer.

Sheringham won footballer of the year in 2001

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:29 PM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

yep. ole would admit the same himself.

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:33 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

The question was about who was the better striker.

It’s Ole all day long imo.

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:35 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Sheringham played as a striker when he won footballer of the year.

Ole finisher but better forward/striker/footballer was the others he played with. Thats why he wasn’t a regular.

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:40 PM
Offerington

Quote:
The question was about who was the better striker.

It’s Ole all day long imo.
no way mate come on ffs

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:40 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
A strange take.
How?

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Not much between Teddy and Ole overall IMO, but very different players

Ole was unfortunate that he was around when he was. He had our best partnership ever in Cole & Yorke. He had Sheringham taking on that deeper cantona role that Ole would never do, then RVN after that. There were always top quality individuals around when he was.

He was always of value and somewhat of a victim of how good he was from the bench. He made the position his in 96/97 and was adaptable and reliable after that. Top striker, a top pro and etched in history for what he did in 99

I’m sure he has no regrets

Unread 09-03-2024, 12:54 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Not much between Teddy and Ole overall IMO, but very different players

Ole was unfortunate that he was around when he was. He had our best partnership ever in Cole & Yorke. He had Sheringham taking on that deeper cantona role that Ole would never do, then RVN after that. There were always top quality individuals around when he was.

He was always of value and somewhat of a victim of how good he was from the bench. He made the position his in 96/97 and was adaptable and reliable after that. Top striker, a top pro and etched in history for what he did in 99

I’m sure he has no regrets
Yep he was unfortunate there were better players than him playing in his position at that time.

Great player great servant great lad.

Unread 09-03-2024, 01:17 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
How?
Namely that all 3 were better and some of them by a clear margin

I can understand maybe saying he was better than one of them, but all 3. Not a chance.

He had absolutely nowhere near the all round ability as a footballer as Yorke for instance.

Unread 09-03-2024, 02:44 PM
est.1878

Sheringham was over rated as fork at spurs. Hated his first 6 months for us also.

Needs a poll...

Unread 09-03-2024, 03:49 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Sheringham was over rated as fork at spurs. Hated his first 6 months for us also.

Needs a poll...
Sheringham looked like a flop for the first 18 months or so, even if he did brilliantly turn it around subsequently.

In contrast to Ole, who made a big impact almost straight away.

Its a terrible shame that his time as manager ended as it did, and he simply had to go. But he is overall one of the good guys, nqat.

Unread 09-03-2024, 05:49 PM
Neo

Football

Gets forgotten but Ole was decent for us in the 2002/03 season when Fergie played him on the right after Beckham was dropped. He played 57 games for us that season, comfortably his highest number of games in any season at United. He surprised a lot at the time with his versatility, regularly replacing Beckham on the right and accommodating Van Nistelrooy as the central striker.

Absolutely love Ole; a genuine, bonafide United legend, of that there is no question.

Unread 10-03-2024, 10:19 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Love him.

Certain people should hang their heads in shame after what they said about him.

First time I’ve bothered watching this, not generally a fan of these kind of podcasts. Carragher is annoying as £#%&! isn’t he
So do I & still get angry when I think about how majority of players let him down badly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Gets forgotten but Ole was decent for us in the 2002/03 season when Fergie played him on the right after Beckham was dropped. He played 57 games for us that season, comfortably his highest number of games in any season at United. He surprised a lot at the time with his versatility, regularly replacing Beckham on the right and accommodating Van Nistelrooy as the central striker.

Absolutely love Ole; a genuine, bonafide United legend, of that there is no question.
100% in agreement with you about that

Unread 10-03-2024, 10:20 PM
Jack Duckworth

Great watch. I love Ole and still think he did a good job here but was badly let down by the arseholes in the dressing room.

It was quite emotional watching him tear up when talking about how it ended

Unread 10-03-2024, 11:08 PM
Medlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post
Great watch. I love Ole and still think he did a good job here but was badly let down by the arseholes in the dressing room.

It was quite emotional watching him tear up when talking about how it ended
Agreed. A genuine legend and the only good vibes at OT since Fergie.