United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:09 AM
shenwen

Disappointing in that again we struggle to break down a not very competitive opposition. Also that the young lads didn't do too much to suggest they should be replacing some of our older first team players.

Meh, whatever. Europa league.

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Furry Russian hats

Thought the young lads were really poor tonight, l can see it with Greenwood but Chong and Gomes aren’t good enough. Possibly the poorest quality European game l’ve ever seen at Old Trafford, they were so bad and that was a relegation side we had out. The one touch pass and move of Ole’s early games are a distant memory, back to turgid, boring, sideways football. Don’t know how anyone could enjoy that, standards have dropped so low.

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Russian hats
Thought the young lads were really poor tonight, l can see it with Greenwood but Chong and Gomes aren’t good enough. Possibly the poorest quality European game l’ve ever seen at Old Trafford, they were so bad and that was a relegation side we had out. The one touch pass and move of Ole’s early games are a distant memory, back to turgid, boring, sideways football. Don’t know how anyone could enjoy that, standards have dropped so low.
The poorest quality European game you've ever seen ? How old are you mate ?

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:31 AM
Dasilvatwins

The concern comes from the fact we played a lesser opponent than usual but the story was the same. Start strong and wane off as the game progresses. Only this time we scored slightly later.

The young lads did ok, chong wasnt great but he wasnt bad. Gomes i think showed more promise, and greenwood was largely quiet until the goal.

It seems the problems is, teams can let our two deep CMs have the ball and have almost two banks of 4 against out front 4.

The only option then seems to be to pass to the full back and we cant rely on them primarily as our attacking options.

Ole needs to bin this 4 2 3 1, and try to take control of the midfield , maybe playing with 3 CMs and allow the full backs to push forward all the way.

The amount of times dalot and rojo stopp and crossed the ball early when they had room to run into to stretch the game was annoying.

Astana were terrible, literally just giving the ball back. They didnt even time waste and try to weasel a draw through diving and slowing the game down.

Its all good saying we are going in the right direction and that this seasons results dont really matter, however when its against a team of astanas quality at home there is no excuse like that.

We should be smashing them. We dont need a world class side to smash them.

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:33 AM
puressence

imagine saying players arent good enough after there first start literally disgusting some of the @#%&!s who claim they follow utd

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Dasilvatwins

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
imagine saying players arent good enough after there first start literally disgusting some of the @#%&!s who claim they follow utd
Im sure theyre not actually writing them off after one game. Its most likely just frustration at how the team seems to be progressing at a snails pace. ( which in the premier league isnt too much of an issue but have high expectations against astana), its not criminal to expect a high score line against Astana.

Unread 20-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
1-0 win with a bunch of inexperienced kids. was never gonna be a classic but that'll do all the same.
Agree with this. It wasn't exactly a classic and we should have won by 5, and we probably would have if one of Rashford converted one of his many opportunities in the first half.

But we got the win in the end. I thought all the kids bar Chong did pretty well. Gomes and Greenwood were good, Axel did alright. OK it was only Astana, but even Phil Jones managed to make himself look suspect at times while Axel looked pretty comfortable throughout. Thought Gomes was probably the most creative player in the team always looking to get into space, turn and make things happen. Fred and Matic love a safe sideways pass.

On Matic, his legs have truly gone, he looked done and dusted after half an hour, how he managed to stay on for the full 90 minutes is a miracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
martial with rashford and greenwood either side if everyone fit.
I'd put James above Rashford after last night. I'm sure there's more to come from Rashford, but in terms of finishing chances James looks head and shoulders above Marcus.

Unread 20-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Exactly.

If Ole was ever going to blood this crop of youngsters, then this was the match to do it.

It was a "new" team who probably haven't played together that much before. Apart from the youngsters, you had several players who haven't had that much Utd first team action in a while. Serge, Rojo, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Jones and Fred*. I'm sure Ole would have liked to have had, Pogba, Marshal and James in the squad, but heigh ho life is like that and you make the best job you can. Have to reluctantly agree with Jem though, Chong really was poor. I was pleased with Greenwood (obviously), but I though that Gomez had a good game as well. Pity Garner didn't get a few minutes

We did alright, yes we could have perhaps done better, but to expect that team to perform like Barca is disingenuous.

When will this team play again ? Would he take this bunch to Holland ?

* Yes, I'm aware that some of these are quite young as well...

Unread 20-09-2019, 08:28 AM
magic_cantona

I went last night and lots of ex players had the same feeling I did - it was a makeshift team, great to see the youth and we just needed a bit of luck and I enjoyed it. We should've been 3 up at HT but hey ho.

Yeah, it wasnt a classic but this team had never played a competitive game together at all so it was hardly going to be liquid football. We all cry that the kids should play, Young shouldn't start at LB etc and when it happens, people moan. Who saw that team and were buzzed? I'd say about 99%. Full time, 50% moaning because Chong didnt dance around 7 players and slot in a hat trick.

Thought Fred was good and needs to start on Sunday, Rojo or Dalot at LB and Rashford gets far too much stick - he worked incredibly hard last night, more or less alone up top.

It was Astana, yes. But they're a settled side, unbeaten in their last 6 Euros. Shite tbf but well organised. In another night, Fred's shot doesnt hit the bar early doors, goes in and we piss it. Cant believe some of the whinging at a scratch side ffs.

Unread 20-09-2019, 08:34 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

I'd put James above Rashford after last night. I'm sure there's more to come from Rashford, but in terms of finishing chances James looks head and shoulders above Marcus.
Same. If we are continuing with 3 up top then James, Greenwood, Martial and then rotate Rashford in the middle/left. Rashford's form isn't great right now and he seems determined to prove to everyone that he's not a natural finisher.

Surprised so many down on Gomes. Thought he played well. Neat and tidy. Hard for him to be any different given the set up and play was so risk averse. Same with Fred. Serious lack of one touch football and early passes. very predictable play from the start to end. Annoying because if there is one game perfect for a bit of risk and excitement then it was against this lot at home.

Unread 20-09-2019, 08:36 AM
puressence

blows my mind ..new team avg age about 22 debuts being made the other lot havent started all season and wo betide they dont perform like barca circa 2011

Unread 20-09-2019, 08:48 AM
believe

Same old bullshit from the mongs who feel like they’re pissing on the spirit of Matt Busby by saying certain players aren’t good enough. Chong is not a good player, it’s obvious for anyone to see so why not just say it? People are talking like we’re Wolves and we should be happy we’ve got a result against easily the worst team that’s ever played at Old Trafford.

We won, made up for Greenwood but the only thing I’m taking from the game is that if this is what we’ve got outside the first 11 then we’re in for a long long season.

I’ve also go to add that while I’m a fan of Rashford in terms of quality, he’s really starting to piss me off. The air of authority he struts around with is becoming a bit embarrassing.

Unread 20-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Bunker Buster

Chong won't make it.....

He struggles to even beat a man.

Sorry Sir Matty B

Unread 20-09-2019, 09:18 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Chong won't make it.....

Sorry Sir Matty B
Nobody who's watched these young players through the different age groups thinks he will

He's a maybe at best but should be out on loan this season

Last night could have seriously damaged his long term chances at Utd

Unread 20-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Same old bullshit from the mongs who feel like they’re pissing on the spirit of Matt Busby by saying certain players aren’t good enough. Chong is not a good player, it’s obvious for anyone to see so why not just say it? People are talking like we’re Wolves and we should be happy we’ve got a result against easily the worst team that’s ever played at Old Trafford.

We won, made up for Greenwood but the only thing I’m taking from the game is that if this is what we’ve got outside the first 11 then we’re in for a long long season.

I’ve also go to add that while I’m a fan of Rashford in terms of quality, he’s really starting to piss me off. The air of authority he struts around with is becoming a bit embarrassing.
agreed all round.

Unread 20-09-2019, 10:16 AM
saayfooty

Only managed to catch the second half.

System wise, the formation is a huge problem. The flat 2 DM's makes the midfield rigid. Ole should switch to a 4 3 3 and allow two CM's to push forward. Having a static 10 makes it easier for the oppo to crowd him out.

The wingers should hold their positions wide and receive the ball in that position instead of coming inside and searching for the ball. It narrows the pitch and kills the space in the middle of the park.

Player wise, I thought Gomes, Fred and Matic played well. The system didn't help them out though.

Rashford lacks finesse. Great strikers have a certain class about them. Martial has that quality. Rashford doesn't (or doesn't have it consistently). Rashford is a squad player at best.

Greenwood was alright but he didn't stay on the wing. The front four floated around a lot which shouldn't be allowed (this is an Ole issue). I'm anti allowing players to freestyle the attack. It £#%&!s up the system. They just run wherever they like disregarding what is good for the team.

Anyway, on to the next one. We will do well against West Ham because they will want to attack. We will counter them successfully. Our defence should be solid enough to withstand their attacks. The optimist in me says 2 - 0. The pessimist in me says 1 - 1.

Unread 20-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saayfooty
I'm anti allowing players to freestyle the attack.
When’s the next march?

Unread 20-09-2019, 10:28 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Nobody who's watched these young players through the different age groups thinks he will

He's a maybe at best but should be out on loan this season

Last night could have seriously damaged his long term chances at Utd
Oh really?

I'm sure there are a few...

Wouldn't want to embarrass anyone, however so won't do a search.

Unread 20-09-2019, 10:34 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Chong won't make it.....

Sorry Sir Matty B
He needs 10 steaks a day. Against players his own age, same-ish build, he's dynamite. But when hes up against height and weight difference, he's nowhere near strong enough and is easily shoved off the ball. He kept trying but he just couldnt do it. Deffo needs Championship football for a bit.

Gomes, Axel and Greenwood will be sound imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
When’s the next march?
Sunday, 2pm. It's on Sky cos its West Hams world, isnt it?

Unread 20-09-2019, 10:37 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
He needs 10 steaks a day. Against players his own age, same-ish build, he's dynamite. But when hes up against height and weight difference, he's nowhere near strong enough and is easily shoved off the ball. He kept trying but he just couldnt do it. Deffo needs Championship football for a bit.

Gomes, Axel and Greenwood will be sound imo.

Sunday, 2pm. It's on Sky cos its West Hams world, isnt it?
March you stupid #@&%!