United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
What about the other players who are supporting Sterling's claim?

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status...46362222489600

Like Neville, Rio knows Sterling, Rooney and Beckham. Maybe we should listen to what they have to say rather than write them off, and therefore deny there is anything in it to warrant a conversation to be had. Sterling DID NOT say the papers are racist towards him. He said their coverage "fuels racism" - interpret that as you will but it's clear in his mind, and many other minds what he means. A lot of what has been said about him by the Sun and the Daily Mail is deranged at the very least. It's one thing if he's courting the media attention but he clearly isn't.

This is a decent read

https://twitter.com/PaulMcCarthy66/s...34431864889351
Do you think he’s suggesting it fuels racism by being or not being racist?

Because if articles that arent racist are capable of fuellig racism the we’re £#%&!ed either way arent we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
No, that's what I've said all along

Wish I'd made that clearer at 9pm tbh

Right, definitely going now.

It's been real.

What was your point then? Jheez fella, I’ll argue with anyone but at least I decide on a position first.

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Cream

Quote:
What about the other players who are supporting Sterling's claim?

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status...46362222489600

Like Neville, Rio knows Sterling, Rooney and Beckham. Maybe we should listen to what they have to say rather than write them off, and therefore deny there is anything in it to warrant a conversation to be had. Sterling DID NOT say the papers are racist towards him. He said their coverage "fuels racism" - interpret that as you will but it's clear in his mind, and many other minds what he means. A lot of what has been said about him by the Sun and the Daily Mail is deranged at the very least. It's one thing if he's courting the media attention but he clearly isn't.

This is a decent read

https://twitter.com/PaulMcCarthy66/s...34431864889351
Both talking utter shit.

I don't know where else to go with this. It's a sorry state of affairs.

The funny thing is, as is usual with the various ism movements, you'd be hard pressed to find any genuine racists. Do you know many? I certainly don't.

It's a real niche industry. Society frowns heavily upon it. The laws against it are clear. We should be proud.

It can't just be Raheem Sterling's turn. Impossible. Has to be something we can beat ourselves up about. Evidence? Irrelevant.

Quite redolent of the Labour anti semitism sensation.

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Do you think he’s suggesting it fuels racism by being or not being racist?

Because if articles that arent racist are capable of fuellig racism the we’re £#%&!ed either way arent we?
It's the headlines that catch people's eyes and the headlines that for a lot of people shape their narrative. As far as I know reporters don't make the headlines, it's the editors. Now I'm not exactly holding out much decorum in reporting from the Sun and the Daily Mail. We all know that's the case in a wider context.

It's too late to get in another argument but to put this way the guy got booed at away grounds and even Burnley fans singing "you let your country down" after Euro 2016. Now I know it's Burnley but my recollection is Kane put in disasterclass after disasterclass in that tournament and he didn't get slagged off for it once the season began. With Sterling it is relentless and he doesn't court the attention. The other players standing up for him shows there is a genuine resonance amongst them and I don't think we can just write them off as having a chip on their shoulder.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Cream

Quote:
It's the headlines that catch people's eyes and the headlines that for a lot of people shape their narrative. As far as I know reporters don't make the headlines, it's the editors. Now I'm not exactly holding out much decorum in reporting from the Sun and the Daily Mail. We all know that's the case in a wider context.

It's too late to get in another argument but to put this way the guy got booed at away grounds and even Burnley fans singing "you let your country down" after Euro 2016. Now I know it's Burnley but my recollection is Kane put in disasterclass after disasterclass in that tournament and he didn't get slagged off for it once the season began. With Sterling it is relentless and he doesn't court the attention. The other players standing up for him shows there is a genuine resonance amongst them and I don't think we can just write them off as having a chip on their shoulder.

Happened yet curiously didn't happen.

Baffling times.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:40 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Happened yet curiously didn't happen.

Baffling times.
was beckham physically attacked and racially abused outside of training?

the press were to blame for hyping up the hate with beckham too btw.

it's funny seeing people defend the football press who are absolute scum. the press is the reason there are no gay players in the premier league. the press love racist abuse at football. it's £#%&!ing amazing copy for them. they gin up racists with young black kid earns lots stories hoping racists react so they can report of that too.

Unread 12-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Hands of Scone

I wish I had one of those minds that has the power to see into the minds of other people and determine, without the need for any evidence, the hidden motivations behind a particularly story.

Now people apparently believe in the mesmerising power of the press to provoke racist behaviour, and that the media has any malevolent design to stoke racism.

Maybe racists, mostly intellectually challenged types, are attuned to these ever so subtle cues in the press and piecing together the secret message but I give the idea as much weight as the brexit press being the cause of some idiot stabbing Jo Cox. It’s a conspiracy theory at root and something else for the grievance politics folk to latch onto. One would have thought you’d have let it go when the author was revealed but you just adjust position to suit your belief. Apparently, it’s just the headline now. Risible stuff.

A lot people think sterling is a bit of a #@&%!. The Media serially targets various people If it sells papers. Giving sterling shit sells, just as it did with beckham. There is no further explanatory power in adding the racism element. That doesn’t make it right and nor does it make football reporting in this country anything other than worthless. And none of this is to say there aren’t racists, but there are mercifully few of those and they’ll be racist even if the press ran nothing but puff pieces on poor Raheem.

Beckham didn’t get attacked but that may have more to do with him employing bodyguards for most of his career.

Unread 12-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
I wish I had one of those minds that has the power to see into the minds of other people and determine, without the need for any evidence, the hidden motivations behind a particularly story.

Now people apparently believe in the mesmerising power of the press to provoke racist behaviour, and that the media has any malevolent design to stoke racism.

Maybe racists, mostly intellectually challenged types, are attuned to these ever so subtle cues in the press and piecing together the secret message but I give the idea as much weight as the brexit press being the cause of some idiot stabbing Jo Cox. It’s a conspiracy theory at root and something else for the grievance politics folk to latch onto. One would have thought you’d have let it go when the author was revealed but you just adjust position to suit your belief. Apparently, it’s just the headline now. Risible stuff.

A lot people think sterling is a bit of a #@&%!. The Media serially targets various people If it sells papers. Giving sterling shit sells, just as it did with beckham. There is no further explanatory power in adding the racism element. That doesn’t make it right and nor does it make football reporting in this country anything other than worthless. And none of this is to say there aren’t racists, but there are mercifully few of those and they’ll be racist even if the press ran nothing but puff pieces on poor Raheem.

Beckham didn’t get attacked but that may have more to do with him employing bodyguards for most of his career.
This is the lad who attacked Sterling with kicks and racially abuse.

Quote:
The court heard Anderson had 25 previous convictions for 37 offences with a number for football violence.

Mr Miles told the court Anderson had a "history of football related anger management issues”.

In 2009, a judge branded Anderson a "bully and a coward" for racially abusing an Asian motorist. Anderson was jailed for four months after admitting a racially aggravated assault on Shafiqul Islam.
He's a £#%&!ing idiot. Smiled as he was sentenced. I doubt the @#%&! could even read a newspaper.

Unread 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I don’t think that continuing to highlight their obsession with Sterling is doing much for your institutional racism angle tbh. If I was Rashford I’d be a bit pissed off they mistook me for a white bloke.
I reckon if Rashford had a clear understanding of what institutional racism really means, he would have a few ideas and suggestions for why Sterling is a more suitable target. He may also appreciate that a key component of the phenomenon is its overt nature, making individual selected targets who fit a certain profile more appropriate. Sterling ticks the boxes far better than Rashford ever could.

Bet they couldn't believe their luck when they got a chance to allude to this immigrant's ethnicity while suggesting he thinks with his dick.

Anyway, done with this now.

Unread 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
windy waffles

Not sure if posted but the guy who was caught on camera says he didn't call Sterling a black @#%&! - he said he called him a 'Manc @#%&!'.

Also been sacked from job.

Unread 12-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I reckon if Rashford had a clear understanding of what institutional racism really means, he would have a few ideas and suggestions for why Sterling is a more suitable target. He may also appreciate that a key component of the phenomenon is its overt nature, making individual selected targets who fit a certain profile more appropriate. Sterling ticks the boxes far better than Rashford ever could.

Bet they couldn't believe their luck when they got a chance to allude to this immigrant's ethnicity while suggesting he thinks with his dick.

Anyway, done with this now.
The story states that he flew to the caribbean to £#%&! around, they went with the pun. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Not sure if posted but the guy who was caught on camera says he didn't call Sterling a black @#%&! - he said he called him a 'Manc @#%&!'.

Also been sacked from job.
There's a very good chance that he did shout 'Manc @#%&!', and the fact he lost his job over it isn't something to be taken lightly. Could be a disaster for him and his family.

Unread 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM
tatty

Knuckle headed racists must be in a small minority at football grounds now.

And I would certainly expect any idiot doing a 1970s redux to be challenged nowadays.

As for this guy who has lost his job; if he did shout ‘Manc’ then the internet lynch mob have again potentially ruined someone’s life and then moved on never to mention it again when they’ve been proved wrong.

Unread 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM
suedeshoes

What was his job? Whether what he shouted was racist or not a man of his age acting like that is ridiculous. The fact he was caught on camera is embarrassing for him, his family and probably his employer.

Unread 12-12-2018, 11:58 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
What was his job? Whether what he shouted was racist or not a man of his age acting like that is ridiculous. The fact he was caught on camera is embarrassing for him, his family and probably his employer.
Who hasn’t been to a tense football match and been caught up in the atmosphere?

Wildly gesticulating and throwing Anglo-Saxon insults at opposing players and fans is all part of the experience.

If you’re risking the sack for swearing and getting excited then what is left of atmosphere at football grounds is going to quickly evaporate.

As I say though, if the lip readers determine he did use a racial insult then I have no sympathy for him.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:11 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Who hasn’t been to a tense football match and been caught up in the atmosphere?

Wildly gesticulating and throwing Anglo-Saxon insults at opposing players and fans is all part of the experience.

If you’re risking the sack for swearing and getting excited then what is left of atmosphere at football grounds is going to quickly evaporate.

As I say though, if the lip readers determine he did use a racial insult then I have no sympathy for him.

"Getting excited"? @#%&! looked like he was going to explode.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Lok

I must admit, I didn't think people were still vocally racist any more. I was sure people deny black people jobs etc... and think negatively of them but I assumed most racists were smart enough to keep that to themselves.

Last weekend I was with an acquaintance and he openly referred to a black man as "that £#%&!ing monkey". I genuinely couldn't believe it. Even more bizarre was that he was surprised when I told him not to say that.

Maybe some things will never change.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM
tatty

Quote:
He did indeed but I don’t think displaying symptoms of an explosive aneurysm should be a sacking offence.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:22 PM
utd99

Quote:
Doesn’t change the fact that it’s at least possible this person has had their life ruined for the equivalent of you calling John Terry a cockney @#%&!. We don’t have to like the bloke to know that’s not right.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Cream

Quote:
It is a bit silly at his age. But he might have had a lot of pent up aggression and had possibly sank a few pints. No big deal really. Just alert a steward and have the raging gammon ejected.

The fact his employer (BT) were embarrassed is down to an unfounded accusation by a wealthy, paranoid to £#%&! man seeking out racism under every nook and cranny. Sad!

(Either that or he's bang to rights. In which case £#%&! him, his job and his reputation).

Unread 12-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Chris Quayd

Late contender for Thread That Should Die

Unread 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Doesn’t change the fact that it’s at least possible this person has had their life ruined for the equivalent of you calling John Terry a cockney @#%&!. We don’t have to like the bloke to know that’s not right.
It does seem a bit OTT, at least if he really did say "Manc".

Or is the use of the c-word still considered totally scandalous by some more prudish types?
Closed Thread