United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-08-2008, 09:58 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Fergie describes Rafael Da Silva's performance last night as "a sensation".

Sorry if it's ben posted before, can't see it anywhere.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...newsid=6615370

Sir Alex Ferguson could barely contain his excitement on Monday night after witnessing a debut to remember by Brazilian defender Rafael Da Silva.

The young right-back played the full 90 minutes of United's friendly win at Peterborough and did enough to suggest a competitive debut may not be too far away. His brother Fabio also impressed, at left-back, after coming on for Patrice Evra at half-time.

Sir Alex told MUTV's Stewart Gardner, "The young players were fantastic and young Rafael the right-back was a sensation for me.

"I thought it was a real eye opener for us. He hadn't played for a year but he's played a full 90 minutes today. His brother Fabio has played 45 minutes and he's also done well so we're really pleased by their contribution."

When asked if the Da Silva twins' integration will be gradual, Sir Alex responded intriguingly:

"You know what football's like. Sometimes it turns up some star, some little nugget maybe. On the evidence of tonight I think we have got a good player here."

The Da Silvas look set for an Old Trafford debut as early as this Wednesday, when Juventus provide the opposition for United's final pre season friendly.

"The squad we've got here tonight (at Peterborough) will play on Wednesday," confirmed Sir Alex, while "Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville will also be involved."

With midfielders Anderson, Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves plus striker Wayne Rooney still unavailable, Wednesday could see Darron Gibson make yet another

Unread 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
thatsfuctit

ferie sounds v impressed

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
ferie sounds v impressed
Yeah he described him as a 'sensation' apparently.

JakeB

10 points to the person who can tell me who is Rafael and who is Fabio

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
ferie sounds v impressed
Yup, is there any youtubery of it?

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Yeah he described him as a 'sensation' apparently.
did he really? link..

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
10 points to the person who can tell me who is Rafael and who is Fabio

Rafael on top

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
The Watcher

Question

Anyone on here see/go to the game? Were you equally impressed?

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Anyone on here see/go to the game? Were you equally impressed?
Yeah I saw it. Rafael really was superb...attacking, tough, combative, good passer, decent shot, and £#%&!ing quick. Evra on the right in other words.

Fabio didnt impress as much when he came on at half time (though he did look decent), but then again the whole game had gone a bit quiet, and he only had Cleverly, Martin and Gray to link up with (whereas Tevez was there for Rafael to link with in the first half.)

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Fountz

Default Sounds good

Just hope it hasn't been their dream to one day play for Real Madrid !

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
wiganste

Thumbs up

He was £#%&!ing excellent last night. Ok, it was only Peterborough but it was still a good test.

Quick, strong in the tackle, great going forward and good distribution. We've got a good un on our hands.

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Yeah I saw it. Rafael really was superb...attacking, tough, combative, good passer, decent shot, and £#%&!ing quick. Evra on the right in other words.

Fabio didnt impress as much when he came on at half time (though he did look decent), but then again the whole game had gone a bit quiet, and he only had Cleverly, Martin and Gray to link up with (whereas Tevez was there for Rafael to link with in the first half.)
Top nws, do we not still need to spend £30 million on the non-defending Danny Alves then?

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:11 AM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Top nws, do we not still need to spend £30 million on the non-defending Danny Alves then?
I'd say not, because good old Rafa can defend too. He bailed out Rio on two occasions as it happens.

THe other things is, he hadnt even played in a game for a year So regardless of opposition, performing that well was impressive.

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
puressence

these lads tbh should look good against teams that were 3 divisions below them last season ..

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'd say not, because good old Rafa can defend too. He bailed out Rio on two occasions as it happens.

THe other things is, he hadnt even played in a game for a year So regardless of opposition, performing that well was impressive.
Good news and with wes playing so well last year we may have solved any long term and short term replacement for G Nev, whilst saving a loada cash which can be spent elsewhere. hope so.

JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
these lads tbh should look good against teams that were 3 divisions below them last season ..
Yes but Rafael looked better than Evra on the night, and Nani looked shite. So football doesnt exactly work as logically as that

dunk

And Fabio is the one that is supposed to be the star.

Rafael was superb, if Fabio is better than him then £#%&! me, 3 Evra's.

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Yes but still, first game in a year and Fergie is rarely that glowing about young players. Cheer up a bit.

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
And Fabio is the one that is supposed to be the star.

Rafael was superb, if Fabio is better than him then £#%&! me, 3 Evra's.
I thought it was the other way round mate? Rafael is the boy no?

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
I thought it was the other way round mate? Rafael is the boy no?
Strangely on last nights performance, he's right.

Fabio is the one who captained that Brazilian youth side and finished top scorer in the championships they took part in.
Closed Thread