United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 02-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
Today’s a public holiday - 70th anniversary of foundation of China - so been especially mental. See video above. That was me out on the local bike path. Families and kids nearby. Have another of a big battle on a river bridge. Tear gas flying aots.

I think the school kid getting shot will make it a lot worse. Most of the MTR train system has been down all day. Most shopping malls closed today (end of days for HK). I get the feeling that some kind of weekend curfew will be set up soon.

Police have totally lost the plot. I had some goon in armour screaming at me for f*** all. I told him to stop shouting and he told me to f*** my mother. Load sod locals - older folk - out on the streets near me right now yelling at police. No f***s given. In four months the HK police has totally lost legitimacy among residents.
One sometimes forgets that ordinary working class folk exist in such exotic parts of the world. The honourable policeman swore at you?!

You'll be telling me he likes the odd pint and supports a football team next.

Pretty racist I suppose but I was the same in France. Everyone just sounded French, which doesn't have any particular class connotation.

Unread 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM
shenwen

Good story

Live stream what's happening now, mostly in Tsuen Wan where kid was shot. Not much happening there - some small groups smashing shit. No police presence yet.

edit: appear to be walking around the town looking for triads and smashing their businesses. Getting sketchy. Police nowhere

Last edited by shenwen; 02-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Unread 02-10-2019, 03:48 PM
MrBishi

Interesting story, but going public with it now means police will adapt in turn and start raiding housing. The last place you want teargas to go off is a small apartment/stairwell with 50 people in it

Unread 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi View Post
Interesting story, but going public with it now means police will adapt in turn and start raiding housing. The last place you want teargas to go off is a small apartment/stairwell with 50 people in it
My thought as well. And they will. There's zero accountability. The government is in hiding.

Unread 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi View Post
ha! this is the kind of thing we did in ccf for fun.

Unread 02-10-2019, 05:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
I'm not denying (very) isolated examples of violence from the protester side, but for every example you give me, I'll give you three from the other side. Given the amount of protests over the past four months, the number of people involved, and the aggressive behavior of the police (I saw it first hand yesterday), I would say this is one of the most restrained "violent" protests in history.
This is actually pretty true of the vast majority of organised protest movements and always has been.

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:14 AM
armchair

it's as if there's a media blackout in favour of the communist chinese

we haven't forgotten you hk

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:15 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
it's as if there's a media blackout in favour of the communist chinese
How very shocking, can't imagine why.

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:17 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
How very shocking, can't imagine why.
could be because china has invested billions in western media?

Unread 03-11-2019, 06:17 AM
shenwen

Police state intensifies. Started attacking a fireman yesterday for telling them to not fire tear gas at the fire engine

Even the rats are having a hard time

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
could be because china has invested billions in western media?
the coverage here is very bad also. Jack Ma owned South China Morning Post leads with protester violence every day, even though as with yesterday there was zero violence until the police moved in, and even then it was violence against property and not people. The people are not daft though. They don't need the newspapers to tell them the police are out of control.

I watched a kid with a guitar get arrested yesterday for singing the Glory to HK anthem. Busking is not illegal in HK. The song is not illegal. But police dragged him away regardless. No accountability. Police is running HK.