United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Seamus

if we would have kept him we would have had a team by now playing to his philosophy with Tyler Blackett as captain. One of many youth players tearing up Europe.

Unread 30-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
if we would have kept him we would have had a team by now playing to his philosophy with Tyler Blackett as captain. One of many youth players tearing up Europe.

Unread 30-09-2019, 02:53 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Has pure stole your login??

Unread 30-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Red Santos

I liked him but he brought in so many £#%&!ing players who flopped/were average and the football in that 15-16 season was as boring as £#%&!.

Unread 30-09-2019, 03:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Hmmmm. Bit disingenuous to say that. He'd been managing holland for 2 years when he took over united, even then he got a pretty shit dutch team to a semi final in the world cup.

Before that...
2009 won the dutch league with AZ Alkmaar,
2010 he won the double with Bayern Munich which was nearly a treble until they got beat by Jose's Inter in the Champions league final.

We played some of the best and most dominant football i've seen us play at times under Van Gaal, but also some of the worst.

Look at this glorious shit... went to Anfield and dominated. 60% possession and limited Liverpool to ONE shot on target in 90 mins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31893202

And look at this compared to us now...

All one and two touch stuff. Look how comfortable we are on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrihtVkHMTU
He also revolutionised the footballing philosophy of Bayern. Everyone there is open about that, even the bosses on the board who didn't like him much concede it. The idea that someone does that at Bayern Munich and three years later is past it for our shambles...

Unread 30-09-2019, 03:10 PM
AK14

Juanfield was great, but we played against 10 men for 45 minutes and still almost managed to throw it away.

I’m not sure his football was free flowing either tbh. It was structured more than free flowing imo.

Great in pressers and a real character, but we got him a bit late in his career and considering he’d only be here three years, I don’t think we’d have seen the fantastic side some say he was building tbh. The way he was sacked was a disgrace and he deserved a lot more than to be treated like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
I liked him but he brought in so many £#%&!ing players who flopped/were average and the football in that 15-16 season was as boring as £#%&!.
Not excusing him at all because he was the manager after all, but I remember watching him in an interview with Sky and I’m sure he mentioned he’d tell Woodward the positions he’d want to sign players in and woody and the scouts would get a list together.

The way I took it was Woodward was given freedom to be the DoF and the transfers were more his than they were Van Gaals. As siders has mentioned before how it was odd that we didn’t sign Daley Blind until deadline day in his first season. Surely if van Gaal was the main man behind the transfers he’d we’d have signed Blind a lot earlier in the window?

We signed so many players that couldn’t play football, which was what van Gaals philosophy was all about. Darmian and Schneiderlin both stick out as players that don’t really suit a VG side imo.

Unread 30-09-2019, 03:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Juanfield was great, but we played against 10 men for 45 minutes and still almost managed to throw it away.

I’m not sure his football was free flowing either tbh. It was structured more than free flowing imo.

Great in pressers and a real character, but we got him a bit late in his career and considering he’d only be here three years, I don’t think we’d have seen the fantastic side some say he was building tbh. The way he was sacked was a disgrace and he deserved a lot more than to be treated like that.

Not excusing him at all because he was the manager after all, but I remember watching him in an interview with Sky and I’m sure he mentioned he’d tell Woodward the positions he’d want to sign players in and woody and the scouts would get a list together.

The way I took it was Woodward was given freedom to be the DoF and the transfers were more his than they were Van Gaals. As siders has mentioned before how it was odd that we didn’t sign Daley Blind until deadline day in his first season. Surely if van Gaal was the main man behind the transfers he’d we’d have signed Blind a lot earlier in the window?

We signed so many players that couldn’t play football, which was what van Gaals philosophy was all about. Darmian and Schneiderlin both stick out as players that don’t really suit a VG side imo.
His football is definitely supposed to be free flowing. It's all about creating automatism.

But our football only went halfway to being his football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Darmian especially. I think Schneiderlin was okay in theory but he's a total bottlejob. Darmian is just not a footballer.
Closed Thread