Switching Off

Default David Meek RIP

Top top red.

Unread 30-10-2018, 11:49 AM
andyroo

Telstar is a classic tbh

Unread 30-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Jack Duckworth

when the m.e.n. was worth buying. used to love reading his match reports when i was a kid.

rip.

Unread 30-10-2018, 11:58 AM
no fun

top red, ripip

On the face of it, a respectable, some would say tame, Manchester evening news journalist who covered united for decades....but he had a darker side

Meeky (as he was known) started going to aways with a notorious bunch of collyhurst reds in the early seventies. This was a tight crew who were very wary of outsiders, but legend has it they allowed meeky into their inner circle in return for him teaching them to read and write

There are many tales of violence surrounding this crew, but perhaps the worst/best involving meeky took place at an away at West Ham in 74

The collyhurst crew had hired a transit for the day, and were driving up and down the Mile End Rd randomly attacking scarfers and generally taking liberties on West Ham’s fackin manor

They came up against a very tasty cockney mob, and were in danger of getting overrun, when meeky burst out of the back of the transit, leapt on the back of their main lad, and thrust a biro straight in his eye....claret everywhere.....mayhem ensued, but it’s reported that he screamed “take that you east end @#%&!s, the pen is mightier than the sword”. He then produced a hardback A4 notebook from his coat pocket and @#%&!ted another cockney across the bridge of the nose, again claret everywhere

Meeky became less active after his hip replacement operation, but will alway be held in high regard by the collyhurst lads

Top red ripip

Unread 30-10-2018, 11:58 AM
dunk

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Cream

Looked like a lovely fellow too.

RIP.

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Seamus

nice fella. he was banned from travelling with united a couple of managers when he basically reported what was happening on the pitch.

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:33 PM
puressence

Fell out with ferie in 2103 .. Joke of a reporter hammered him at halifax 1990 for his bias ... Time served red main stand reds

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:35 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Fell out with ferie in 2103 .. Joke of a reporter hammered him at halifax 1990 for his bias ... Time served red main stand reds
Fancy causing a scene in a building society

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
top red, ripip

On the face of it, a respectable, some would say tame, Manchester evening news journalist who covered united for decades....but he had a darker side

Meeky (as he was known) started going to aways with a notorious bunch of collyhurst reds in the early seventies. This was a tight crew who were very wary of outsiders, but legend has it they allowed meeky into their inner circle in return for him teaching them to read and write

There are many tales of violence surrounding this crew, but perhaps the worst/best involving meeky took place at an away at West Ham in 74

The collyhurst crew had hired a transit for the day, and were driving up and down the Mile End Rd randomly attacking scarfers and generally taking liberties on West Ham’s fackin manor

They came up against a very tasty cockney mob, and were in danger of getting overrun, when meeky burst out of the back of the transit, leapt on the back of their main lad, and thrust a biro straight in his eye....claret everywhere.....mayhem ensued, but it’s reported that he screamed “take that you east end @#%&!s, the pen is mightier than the sword”. He then produced a hardback A4 notebook from his coat pocket and @#%&!ted another cockney across the bridge of the nose, again claret everywhere

Meeky became less active after his hip replacement operation, but will alway be held in high regard by the collyhurst lads

Top red ripip
Meek by name, vicious thug by reputation.

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:49 PM
dragflick

My old man knew him, top man. RIPIP

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Buck

Still a better writer than Samuel Luckhurst

Unread 30-10-2018, 12:58 PM
MartialLaw

Another small part of growing up with united is lost

Unread 30-10-2018, 01:07 PM
sa7

Top bloke, loved United

The drift away from the good days continues...

Unread 30-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialLaw
Another small part of growing up with united is lost
this.

nice piece on Meek and his relationship with Ferie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22539385

Unread 30-10-2018, 01:28 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
this.

nice piece on Meek and his relationship with Ferie
any mention of 2013

Unread 30-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
can I have Wednesday's lottery numbers?

Unread 30-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Denis Irwell

Always amused me to read “United verdict” by Meek alongside “City verdict” by Peter Gardiner after derbies in the MEN. Two different matches.

Grew up with his back page news.

RIP Dave.

Unread 30-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Wellinever

Default Saturday Evening MEN (Pink) edition,

I always looked forward to the Pink reports on Derby games.
David Meek writing from United side and Peter Gardener from City's; reading their reports you'd think they had been to different games, talk about 'fake news' those two invented it!
RIP David

Unread 30-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Seamus

a tribute from Ferguson to david meek

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...guson-15349687

Meek enjoyed a long and distinguished career covering United for the M.E.N. for 37 years, taking over the role when his predecessor Tom Jackson was killed in the Munich air disaster in 1958.

The York-born reporter held the post until 1995 and ghosted Ferguson's programme notes for several years and his books '6 Years at United' and 'A Will to Win'.

In a statement on the United website, Ferguson said: "I’m very sad to hear of the passing of David Meek, a well-respected journalist who served the Manchester Evening News with great loyalty and dignity.

"David was an old-fashioned journalist who relied on the accuracy of his reporting and his connection with Manchester United stretched over decades.

"His contribution to Manchester United's programme made my job easier as I relied on his ability to make sure that my words were exactly how I wanted them for every home match. My sympathies go out to his wife Liz and his family."
Closed Thread