United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-10-2019, 04:50 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
I posted a quote elsewhere that had a description of us as a club/business, essentially we are a marketing vehicle with a really shit, inconsequential team attached.
Exactly. It's gross.

Unread 12-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
I also struggle to get my head around the idea that commercial revenue isn't impacted at all by success on the pitch. If we fail to get into Europe next season it must hit revenue with contracts that stipulate CL football as part of the deal. The deals will become less and less lucrative when you're eying up the next fixture to try and break into the top ten.
But they’ll compare what they’d lose to how much they’d have to invest to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
I suspect their thinking is similar to what they have done with the Bucs, do the bare minimum and hope sporting inflation and increased profile for the league offsets lower revenues linked to the managed decline on the pitch, rising tide lifts all ships and that.

We are the best example but not the only one where what happens on the pitch (within reason) doesn't hamper the off the pitch stuff. I posted a quote elsewhere that had a description of us as a club/business, essentially we are a marketing vehicle with a really shit, inconsequential team attached.
I recall a report of something else woodward said in an investor conference call. Around 4 or 5 years ago he used Liverpool’s shirt deal as an example of how not winning the league for years didn’t really matter.

On the flip side, I doubt the glazers want one of the 3 highest wage bills in Europe whilst getting not that much in return. They’ve spent enough on transfers and wages to be a top european team. The fact we’ve been nowhere near is on woodward.

Unread 12-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Maybe that was Fergie's naivety in thinking that Moyes would do as he was told rather than trying to turn us into Everton and make things difficult for teams like Newcastle.
Yeah the cynical view was that he picked Moyes to protect his own legacy, knowing he would be out of his depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I think it's due to large support base and brand appeal. We're a better brand than we are team at the moment.

I'm not sure it can last, and we'll probably be better off in the long run when it all goes to shit off the pitch as well as on.
It means nothing if we're not doing it on the pitch. It's obvious the Glazers have damaged the Club's values as well as finance with the debt. I think this is the thing that has seeped down - a take what you can attitude. The owners have no shame, like many in the squad.

As you say, it won't last.

Unread 12-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
On the flip side, I doubt the glazers want one of the 3 highest wage bills in Europe whilst getting not that much in return. They’ve spent enough on transfers and wages to be a top european team. The fact we’ve been nowhere near is on woodward.
This year is the first year I can remember our wages to revenue being over 50%, if that keeps climbing then I would expect them to do something but we have been incredibly consistent, (despite pissing away fortunes on squad players comprable with what the top teams pay their top players) at keeping wages healthy proportionate to income. I can’t see anything happening to fundamentally shift that, be that signing a high number of high earners or a precipitous drop in revenue.

Unread 12-10-2019, 06:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Maybe that was Fergie's naivety in thinking that Moyes would do as he was told rather than trying to turn us into Everton and make things difficult for teams like Newcastle.
Rumour is that SAF told him to keep the rest of the coaching setup, at least for the first year or so. Of course, he thought the likes of WEE JIMMY could do a better job and the rest is history

Unread 18-10-2019, 08:41 AM
AK14

Unread 18-10-2019, 08:55 AM
doudou

"provides a base camp for us to build and grow from as we start our new journey"

Unread 18-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Patty_b

What a Woodward

Horrible bullshitter of the worst kind. No wonder Mou and LVG went insane with this @#%&! lying through his teeth and undermining them at every opportunity.

Unread 18-10-2019, 09:39 AM
ZiggyStardust

https://www.theguardian.com/football...nt-ed-woodward

Is this briefing by Ed meant to reassure us
He talks about the recruitment strategy having been dysfunctional but then says it's been senior footballing people making the football decisions at the club and they've been in their roles for over 10 years
Why the £#%&! haven't they been sacked for gross incompetence and how are we meant to have confidence that they'll suddenly start making the right decisions

Quote:
For example, Van Gaal’s vision of a United player differed from the club’s, resulting in a disjointed squad. Daley Blind is cited as a very fine footballer who did not possess the requisite X factor and so should not have been signed.
What the £#%&! is this bullshit

Unread 18-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Jethro

Making himself look like a bigger @#%&!. As you were Ed.

Unread 18-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Alex Jones was Right

“Privately the hierarchy accept that Moyes had almost no chance of success because United retained the structure that had worked so productively for Ferguson, his predecessor.”

Moyes, next united manager.

I think a decent structure and vision probably is in place now, but it took him 6 years and £800m of failed recruitment to get there. I suppose it’s also possible that this failure and waste of resources has also finally convinced him commercial motivations can’t drive recruitment.

Unread 20-10-2019, 01:05 PM
AK14

Quote:
Asked about United’s track record of managerial appointments since Ferguson’s departure, Woodward said: “The communication of the high level direction and vision and strategy that we had from a football perspective had become blurred.

"We hired Ole because he syncs with that vision. The people and structures that we are putting in place are there to support that vision are in place for now and in the future.”

And what exactly is that vision? “Winning; playing attacking football with players that have an ‘x-factor’; and giving youth a chance," Woodward said.

"Added to that, we want players to come in who respect their teammates, the club, the history. They must understand that they are creating a legacy by coming to Manchester United. Nobody is bigger than the club.

"There should be both a humbleness and an arrogance. Humble when you are on the team coach and you wear the club suit, you do up your top button and wear your tie, you represent the club in the right way. Then you sign autographs for the people who pay your wages.

"Then, when you go into the dressing room, you put the red shirt on and you feel arrogant, self assured. As Michael Carrick said in his book, you want to take the ball, you want the ball in tight spaces, you want a never-say-die spirit. Ole has brought a lot of the discipline back.

“Whatever manager we have has to buy into that philosophy and Ole is a walking, talking version of that. Let’s let this play out with Ole in terms of the culture reboot.”
How is this joker still at the club.

Unread 20-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
And what exactly is that vision? “Winning; playing attacking football with players that have an ‘x-factor’; and giving youth a chance," Woodward said.
Depressing. He hasn't a clue. Just parroting buzzwords.

Unread 20-10-2019, 04:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
How is this joker still at the club.
It suits the owners.

(but of course you knew that already)

Unread 20-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Jethro

He actually said the transfer market line again

How this @#%&! hasn't been dropped is beyond me.

Unread 22-10-2019, 02:28 PM
windy waffles

Also denies telling off Phil Jones for saying 'Sacked in the morning'.

He says: 'Phil was talking about whether decisions were offside or not.

'There was a foul and I turned around to Rebecca Britain, our club secretary [and said]: "Was that a yellow card on him? [Issa] Diop?"'

Utter horseshit. Phil clearly mutter sacked in the morning and Woodward definitely says: "We are on camera...stop".

Unread 22-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Also denies telling off Phil Jones for saying 'Sacked in the morning'.

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/stat...65924903145476

He says: 'Phil was talking about whether decisions were offside or not.

'There was a foul and I turned around to Rebecca Britain, our club secretary [and said]: "Was that a yellow card on him? [Issa] Diop?"'

Utter horseshit. Phil clearly mutter sacked in the morning and Woodward definitely says: "We are on camera...stop".
Think this might be one of the rare occasions that everything that comes out of his mouth isn't a complete and utter lie. In the version that doesn't crop out Rebecca Britain it's pretty clear he's talking to her.

Phil Jones's mouth is just flapping about like it usually does, the flappy faced freak.

Unread 24-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Pop

???

Unread 24-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
???

get down there and help him ffs

Unread 24-11-2019, 10:00 PM
AK14

Quote: