United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Jack Duckworth

Default TV Money - How do Sky make a profit?

with the new tv deal between sky & bt, apparently they've paid an average of £9.3 million for each game they show

they can't possibly recoup that money in advertising and subscriptions, so how do they make their money?

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:43 PM
andyroo

Advertising and subscriptions

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Advertising and subscriptions
they average 9.3 million in advertising an subscriptions per game? i can't see it, tbh. most games are shite. people only want to watch united, liverpool, arsenal, city, chelsea.

i can't see huddersfield v bournemouth or burnley v crystal palace pulling in much.

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:45 PM
waynes ear's

Chatroulette with SSN presenters

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
with the new tv deal between sky & bt, apparently they've paid an average of £9.3 million for each game they show

they can't possibly recoup that money in advertising and subscriptions, so how do they make their money?
Anyone watching todays game (legally) around the world, is watching it via Sky.
Their local TV station will be paying Sky for it.

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
yeah, i know they sell the rights on around the world, but watching supposedly the best club game in world football, as i am now on freesports for free, i just wondered how they could possibly recoup their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
23m subscribers in the UK and Ireland brings in a few shillings every month I'd imagine.

for sky sports? really?

"According to data from Enders Analysis, Sky has drawn an average of 819,000 viewers per match for the 2017/18 season, which is an eight per cent rise from this time last year"

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...ewing-13772955

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
they average 9.3 million in advertising an subscriptions per game? i can't see it, tbh. most games are shite. people only want to watch united, liverpool, arsenal, city, chelsea.

i can't see huddersfield v bournemouth or burnley v crystal palace pulling in much.
Burnley are massive in China.

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Burnley are massive in China.

i hear huddersfield are very big in japan

Unread 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM
andyroo

Manchester City are big in the £#%&!ing desert

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Doesn't that money go directly to the premier league? Unless you mean they are paying sky for the actual feed.

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Each sky sports sub in Stockport is £5 million per month

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Jack Duckworth

wasn't henry on about £6m a year when he was a pundit a sky, too? plus all the other other presenters and pundits wages.

i'm starting to think this is a front for a massive worldwide drugs cartel.

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM
TheFatGoth

Sky Sports subscriptions for pubs are about £15k a year as well.

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Switching Off

Average viewing figures are irrelevant if 23m are paying an average of 50 a month for it. They make about £6bn profit a year and that would fall through the floor if they didn't have Premier League.

Margins are falling year on year though, presumably as they keep paying ever more ridiculous sums for it. Give it time and it'll be at breaking point; once Sky can't afford to increase each contract, the PL will panic and they'll force the FA to do away with the Saturday blackout and start selling club specific packages. United will start demanding a greater slice, which will increase our pull in the transfer market and we'll be able to buy every 31 year old we want

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Sky Sports subscriptions for pubs are about £15k a year as well.
It's based on the rateable value

I fitted one of them svandanavian systems in a local pub 15 years ago and their sky subs where £1200 a month back then(excluding the boxing ppv which was set at £200 a time)

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Lok

Sky have 14 million subscribers on an average package cost of £65 = £910m.

Pubs have to pay a fortune (I think I read £15k per year) x 20k pubs = £300m.

They 'produce' the live feed that is sold to other countries. So the PL sells the rights to the matches but Sky sell the video. It's their cameras and technology broadcasting the matches.

The rest is made from advertising.

Sky could afford to run it as a 'loss-leader' to sell their other services (broadband, phone, movies etc...).

Unread 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Bobda

Revenue of Sky is £6.7 billion with profits supposedly just over a cool billion.

Thing is, they have to be investing a lot of that profit in future proofing, otherwise its only a mater of time before it comes crashing down. Kids don't watch TV like we did/do.

Unread 11-11-2018, 11:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Wouldn't mind them staying there, then.

Unread 12-11-2018, 03:35 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Not true

Premier League do separate deals in each territory. PL own the rights. They sell to Sky in UK. to Astro in Malaysia, NBC in US, etc. Sky is a buyer not a seller.

Unread 12-11-2018, 06:31 AM
Albert Tatlock

True shenwen, but SKY are the broadcaster as they operate the cameras and the production facilities, editing etc. So they will charge for this

...unless of course the cameras and whatnot are independent and the same crew works for both sky, bt and all the others...
Closed Thread