United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 01-01-2022, 10:33 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default Recommend some good TV: 2022

Halfway through the second part of the Beatles doc. Should be finished in time for 2023...

Loving it tbf

Unread 01-01-2022, 10:35 PM
dunk

Anxious People just landed on Netflix, Swedish comedy based on the book of the same name by Frederik Bachman, who is a top, top red . The book is excellent.

Unread 01-01-2022, 10:48 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Anxious People just landed on Netflix, Swedish comedy based on the book of the same name by Frederik Bachman, who is a top, top red . The book is excellent.
Just ordered the book on this recommendation....

Unread 02-01-2022, 12:32 AM
sweetleftfoot

Just finishing S2 of Mr Robot. It's enjoyable and intriguing, but it's hard work too.

Unread 02-01-2022, 12:41 AM
silv

Classic corrie ITV3

Does it get any better?

Unread 02-01-2022, 02:08 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Classic corrie ITV3

Does it get any better?
Yes mate. Stick with it, you won’t be disappointed

Unread 02-01-2022, 11:56 AM
Switching Off

New Harlen Corben thing on Netflix. Usual hammy acting but easy watch. Filmed around Blackpool, Manchester and Runcorn.

Unread 02-01-2022, 12:25 PM
Jethro

Rewatch of Dave with my wife. I can't recommend it enough.

Unread 02-01-2022, 12:57 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Rewatch of Dave with my wife. I can't recommend it enough.
S1 was genius. I felt the level dropped quite a lot in season 2.

Unread 02-01-2022, 01:06 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
New Harlen Corben thing on Netflix. Usual hammy acting but easy watch. Filmed around Blackpool, Manchester and Runcorn.
Could have been so good - mixed acting and shallow storylines. Like Izzard as the druggie solicitor.

Toast of Tinseltown starts 4th Jan...

Unread 02-01-2022, 09:21 PM
Zorg

Social Media, Anger and Us - David Baddiel documentary from a couple of months ago (but I watched it in 2022). On Youtube.

In short, social media has sent everyone mental.

Unread 05-01-2022, 09:30 AM
NedKelly

Watched that Four Lives on iPlayer with Stephen Merchant playing the Grindr killer Stephen Port. A solid 7/10 - some of the acting from basically everyone that wasn’t Merchant or Sheridan Smith is quite bad/wooden but the story itself is shocking. Incredible negligence from the police - I had to look it up after watching but the police officer who hung up on the mum of the first victim

Unbelievable that Port wasn’t locked up after the first murder, and that they took the suicide note on the third victim at face value just beggars belief.

Unread 05-01-2022, 10:00 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Second episode of Landscapers. Great stuff...

Unread 05-01-2022, 10:14 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Second episode of Landscapers. Great stuff...
Really enjoyed this. Very meta. Breaking the fourth wall and all that. The two leads are outstanding.

Halfway through The Tourist. Man loses his memory after a car crash in the Australian outlook. Has no idea who he is, where he came from or why a northern Irish lad ended up where he is . I'll say no more as each episode finishes on a reveal/cliffhanger that adds to the mystery. So far, so good. I have a theory on who is who, but nothing yet on why. Watch it, you'll understand what I mean.

Unread 05-01-2022, 10:29 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Watched the first couple of eps the other day. Very promising.

Unread 05-01-2022, 10:34 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Watched the first couple of eps the other day. Very promising.
Watched it in an evening. Enjoyed it a lot. Deviates from the book a bit, but had to I suppose, entertaining and amusing.

Unread 05-01-2022, 11:04 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Really enjoyed this. Very meta. Breaking the fourth wall and all that. The two leads are outstanding.

Halfway through The Tourist. Man loses his memory after a car crash in the Australian outlook. Has no idea who he is, where he came from or why a northern Irish lad ended up where he is . I'll say no more as each episode finishes on a reveal/cliffhanger that adds to the mystery. So far, so good. I have a theory on who is who, but nothing yet on why. Watch it, you'll understand what I mean.
Watched first three last night, good stuff. Need to get on the Landscapers after this.

Stay Close pretty terrible really, but an easy watch.

Unread 05-01-2022, 11:39 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Halfway through The Tourist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Watched first three last night, good stuff.
halfway through was best. was an interesting idea, but drags incoherently all the way to the end.

Unread 05-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Baron

The Sex Lives Of College Girls

Binged the lot late one night on holiday, Mindy Kaling & Justin Noble (Brooklyn 99) vehicle.

Pauline Chalamet (Timothy from Dune's sister) has a quite magnificent set of ***s, sort of but not quite fully released but you get the gist.

It's the kind of smart-ass American thing you'd expect from the two writing / creating it & it's set on Vassar University campus (despite being labelled as a fictional uni - Essex ) which looks absolutely f***ing amazing.

Exactly what you'd expect with the relevant quotas being hit but it's enjoyable enough if you like the stuff you know the creators from. Easy watching, nothing groundbreaking but fun.

Unread 05-01-2022, 12:48 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Watched that Four Lives on iPlayer with Stephen Merchant playing the Grindr killer Stephen Port. A solid 7/10 - some of the acting from basically everyone that wasn’t Merchant or Sheridan Smith is quite bad/wooden but the story itself is shocking. Incredible negligence from the police - I had to look it up after watching but the police officer who hung up on the mum of the first victim

Unbelievable that Port wasn’t locked up after the first murder, and that they took the suicide note on the third victim at face value just beggars belief.
Run with the solid 7/10 - I didn't think the acting was that bad from all but the cops, first lads mother I thought very good and there was a good sense of realism, extraordinarily terrible things happening to ordinary people.

The idea that the two most sensible, reasonable and decent characters were two middle class, well educated white blokes gave me a smile. Didn't look up the writer is, but I'd guess it's a middle class, well educated white bloke

Nothing surprises me about the plod, they really do only solve anything when someone actually tells them what happened or is caught red-handed. Watched a few of true life crime programmes last year, only time they catch anyone is when the perp is completely brain dead or there's a grass involved.