United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-02-2008, 10:53 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up I'm looking forward to The European Cup starting again this week

I know it's become fashionable in recent years to claim that it is now less prestigious then LDV Vans Trophy, but I still think it's a great competition. Starts properly now, with the group stages done with.

I'm feeling a little more confident after our stunning win yesterday. Would like to see Anderson play in a similar role as against Arsenal. Hopefully we'll play with the same intensity and positive attitude as we did on Saturday. Hargreaves, Ronaldo and Giggs to come in for Fletcher, Park and Nani respectively. However, I wouldn't begrudge either Nani or The Dazzler retaining their places

Also, I think Inter have a great chance of turning the scousers over at Anfield, especially if Torres doesn't play. Of course, with them out of every domestic competition, they may rise to the occasion. But hopeful they won't!

What's the news on Milans injuries? Any of their big players (other then Ronaldo) set to miss the trip to north london?

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:06 PM
S/Side.Red

I'd make a few changes for the Lyon game, personally. I'd definitely bring Scholes and Ronnie in for Fletcher and Park. After that, for me the only other tough call is whether to bring Carlitos back in for Nani. Unfortunately, I fear Fergie will take out one from Carrick and Anderson, along with Park, Fletcher and Nani and put all four of Hargreaves, Scholes, Giggs and Tevez in.

Whatever happens, we've got a great set of options and potentially a very strong bench.

Kaka and Gattuso both started against Parma on Saturday. Pato didn't feature in the squad though. Neither did Seedorf, not sure if that to rest him or due to injury.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Coracao

Seedorf and Pato have been injured.

They are expected to be fit in time.

Dida may miss out, and Kalac is also injured...

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:18 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I'd make a few changes for the Lyon game, personally. I'd definitely bring Scholes and Ronnie in for Fletcher and Park. After that, for me the only other tough call is whether to bring Carlitos back in for Nani. Unfortunately, I fear Fergie will take out one from Carrick and Anderson, along with Park, Fletcher and Nani and put all four of Hargreaves, Scholes, Giggs and Tevez in.
Against City, what depressed me most about Scholes performance was his inability (or unwillingness?) to track back or pressure the opposition. Very strange and made me think he must still not be fully fit

I think given how well the midfield performed against Arsenal (winning the ball on the half way line a number of times), playing in a similar style would be best - Lyon are a passing side after all. Carrick and Anderson were both fantastic, can't see how the manager could justify dropping either of them. Would also allow Tevez a little break, fresh and ready to bag a few against the barcodes.

Quote:
Kaka and Gattuso both started against Parma on Saturday. Pato didn't feature in the squad though. Neither did Seedorf, not sure if that to rest him or due to injury.
Someone mentioned to me that Seedorf was injured, no idea if that's true ot not. Otherwise, sounds like they'll be near full strength. Hopefully they can get a result!

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:22 PM
wiganste

I'd leave Nani in the starting line up ahead of Giggs. The simple reason being his confidence will be sky high atm.

Replace Fletcher* with Ronaldo & Park with Scholes or Hargreaves (if fit ) and we'll piss the game.

*Although after Saturday, he too deserves to keep his place.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Its prestige is greater than the LDV ffs

But it could seriously do with a couple of teams in the final who've at least tried to win their domestic league in recent times, and I don't mean Monaco vs Porto either.

The current format is a joke.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:24 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

But it could seriously do with a couple of teams in the final who've at least tried to win their domestic league in recent times, and I don't mean Monaco vs Porto either.

It'll be a Utd v Real Madrid final. How's that for 2 teams going for their domestic leagues?

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:25 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

I'm hoping for a United vs Inter final, with both sides being the newly crowned champions of their respective leagues

Edit - Nice avatar Throb!

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
It'll be a Utd v Real Madrid final. How's that for 2 teas going for their domestic leagues?
That's what I'm talking about. I hope you're right.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:28 PM
legendary saf

I dont want Madrid, annoyingly effective team nowadays, their defence isnt as weak as it used to be.

Having said that, i really dont care who it is as long as we are there, madrid would probably be the one side id like to avoid.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Against City, what depressed me most about Scholes performance was his inability (or unwillingness?) to track back or pressure the opposition. Very strange and made me think he must still not be fully fit

I think given how well the midfield performed against Arsenal (winning the ball on the half way line a number of times), playing in a similar style would be best - Lyon are a passing side after all. Carrick and Anderson were both fantastic, can't see how the manager could justify dropping either of them. Would also allow Tevez a little break, fresh and ready to bag a few against the barcodes.
I think if you stick Carrick in alongside Scholes with Anderson in there too, there'd be less pressure on him to close down or track back. He'd be allowed to concentrate on doing what he does best. I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Hargreaves play though, because Anderson and Carrick are the ones who simply must start. I'm worried Fergie won't see it that way, though. If Hargreaves is fit I think he and Scholes will start, as will Giggs.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

Same XI again will do for me, Park, Fletcher, Nani and all.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:37 PM
S/Side.Red

They arguably already had that with Carvalho-Andrade.

I think Pepe pulled a thigh muscle or something. He was only ruled out for a few weeks so he should be back anytime now.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:40 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
I dont want Madrid, annoyingly effective team nowadays, their defence isnt as weak as it used to be.
I'm still pissed off about 2000 (never mind 2003!), so would love to see us knock them out over two legs.

Quote:
I think if you stick Carrick in alongside Scholes with Anderson in there too, there'd be less pressure on him to close down or track back. He'd be allowed to concentrate on doing what he does best. I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Hargreaves play though, because Anderson and Carrick are the ones who simply must start. I'm worried Fergie won't see it that way, though. If Hargreaves is fit I think he and Scholes will start, as will Giggs.
I agree to an extent, but I think the way Fletcher played (closing the opposition down quickly and generally being a nuisance) was a vital part of Saturdays win, so wouldn't like us to miss that. If we play the same type of midfield, I think Scholes is left competing with Carrick for the same place.

I guess we'll have a better idea of what sort of side he intends to play after the pre match press conference. But I suspect Anderson will start, otherwise I doubt he would have been substituted.

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:42 PM
wiganste

Talking of Fletcher. Did anyone notice his turn of pace yesterday?

I hope they didn't do a dope test on him afterwards

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Yep, Pepe's been a huge miss. Their defence looks an absolute wall with him in there. He's probably not being risked now so he's ready for the run in....

Carvalho - Pepe should be tasty in Euro 2008. Best CB partnership in internationals, comfortably.
And how many times have they played together?

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:56 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
And how many times have they played together?
You're forgetting he's up to year 2016 on Championship Manager

Unread 17-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Whalefish

If you merge a few You Tube vids, lots.

Unread 18-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Talking of Fletcher. Did anyone notice his turn of pace yesterday?

I hope they didn't do a dope test on him afterwards
I think the real Darren Fletcher died in a boating accident the other week. £#%&! knows who the look a like is.

Unread 18-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
I think the real Darren Fletcher died in a boating accident the other week. £#%&! knows who the look a like is.
Rhain Davis
Closed Thread