Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:38 AM
legendary saf

Default Looks like Kaka is getting the Balon D'or

According to reports in Sky Italia in the last few days

I honestly think he doesn't deserve it.

People keep referring to the CL Semi Final

Let's all keep in mind Milan were a team that had been concentrating on the Champions League for most of their season seeing as they were out of the title race after a couple of months in Italy and when the knockouts came around - they had the luxury of resting their big players including Kaka.

The situation was totally different for us and Cristiano, we were in the hunt for not one but 3 trophies and as if our squad wasn't thin already we lost 75% of our first choice backline with a rushed back Evra in the first leg and a rushed back Vidic in the 2nd leg. It just got all a bit too much for us and Kaka hadn't really done much up to then so in my eyes it will be a crying shame if Cristiano doesn't become European footballer of the year or World Player of the year.

It would make a mockery of the award tbh.

Do I have a point or am I just biased??

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:40 AM
legendary saf

And shouldn't internationals count aswell? Ronnie hasn't missed a single game for Portugal for as long as I can remember while Kaka picks and chooses when he plays for Brazil and even dropped out of the whole Copa America squad.

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:46 AM
neworder

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
According to reports in Sky Italia in the last few days

I honestly think he doesn't deserve it.

People keep referring to the CL Semi Final

Let's all keep in mind Milan were a team that had been concentrating on the Champions League for most of their season seeing as they were out of the title race after a couple of months in Italy and when the knockouts came around - they had the luxury of resting their big players including Kaka.

The situation was totally different for us and Cristiano, we were in the hunt for not one but 3 trophies and as if our squad wasn't thin already we lost 75% of our first choice backline with a rushed back Evra in the first leg and a rushed back Vidic in the 2nd leg. It just got all a bit too much for us and Kaka hadn't really done much up to then so in my eyes it will be a crying shame if Cristiano doesn't become European footballer of the year or World Player of the year.

Do I have a point or am I just biased??
Bit of both mate

I agree with you though

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:48 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Hardly. The Champions League is the biggest stage in club football. Given his performances for Milan in it (he won games almost on his own at times), it's no surprise. It's a close call, but Kaka is a worthy winner.

Personally, I think Ronnie should get it for the way he came back from the World Cup and stuck it to the abu @#%&!s while inspiring us to an unexpected League title. But that's life.

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:50 AM
legendary saf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Hardly. The Champions League is the biggest stage in club football. Given his performances for Milan in it (he won games almost on his own at times), it's no surprise. It's a close call, but Kaka is a worthy winner.
Look, I think Kaka is a great player but he was not the best player in Europe last season. It's as simple as that, and ignoring the best player would make a mockery of it in my view.

When he came up against a team that had been priming themselves for this competition in Liverpool what on earth did Kaka do? £#%&! all. Honestly, hes a fantastic player but I have to repeat.... he was not the best in Europe last season.

Milan shouldn't even have been in the competition anyway.

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:51 AM
neworder

Quote:
Look, I think Kaka is a great player but he was not the best player in Europe last season. It's as simple as that, and ignoring the best player would make a mockery of it in my view.

Glad they were given who they beat in the final

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:55 AM
The Watcher

Quote:

When he came up against a team that had been priming themselves for this competition in Liverpool what on earth did Kaka do? £#%&! all. Honestly, hes a fantastic player but I have to repeat.... he was not the best in Europe last season.

He set up the second goal, didn't he

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into it. Yes, it's nice for the players, but I'd much rather they win us League titles and European Cups.

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:58 AM
legendary saf

Quote:
He set up the second goal, didn't he
Only after Mascherano got subbed off.

Mascherano had him in his pocket for the whole time he was on the pitch.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Was about to write something very similar myself. There's no doubt that Ronaldo had a phenomenal season, but neither he nor anyone else came close to Kaka's level in the Champions League - without question the most prestigious club competition in world football. A worthy winner indeed.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:01 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Only after Mascherano got subbed off.

So he didn't do "£#%&! all", as you suggested.

Ah, old flippo scoring that second goal. What a great moment that was

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:03 AM
legendary saf

Quote:
So he didn't do "£#%&! all", as you suggested.
He did nothing for the whole match, which is true.

His poor performance for 85 minutes> 1 pass after his dad got subbed off the pitch.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:07 AM
legendary saf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Was about to write something very similar myself. There's no doubt that Ronaldo had a phenomenal season, but neither he nor anyone else came close to Kaka's level in the Champions League - without question the most prestigious club competition in world football. A worthy winner indeed.
What level? A penalty here and there, including one which he dived for against Bayern and even in the games against United where he was apparently out of this world, I don't really recall him doing that much outside the 3 goals against our tired, makeshift defence over the 2 legs.

He was at a good level but nowhere near this one man wrecking machine people think he was. I am resigned to him winning it now but it's really unfair on Cristiano.

Hopefully Milan's awful campaign in the league continues because surely they won't have the same luck going for them in the CL like last season.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:11 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
His poor performance for 85 minutes> 1 pass after his dad got subbed off the pitch.
Half of Milan and United fans world wide would dispute that. I was dancing on a table after he set up that second goal

Quote:
I don't really recall him doing that much outside the 3 goals

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:12 AM
legendary saf

Quote:
What's so funny?

When you look at the circumstances, it's not such a big achievement.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Tumescent Throb

Default multi-quote-tastic

Quote:
And shouldn't internationals count aswell? Ronnie hasn't missed a single game for Portugal for as long as I can remember while Kaka picks and chooses when he plays for Brazil and even dropped out of the whole Copa America squad.
Good point

Quote:

Personally, I think Ronnie should get it for the way he came back from the World Cup and stuck it to the abu @#%&!s while inspiring us to an unexpected League title. But that's life.
Some of us expected it Watcher

Quote:
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworderdude
Glad they were given who they beat in the final
Yep me too!

Quote:

Coincidence me feels. Or at best Mascherano was at full stretch just trying to contain him and so inevitably burnt himself out, in which case Job done by Kaka and Milan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
CL has been a bit £#%&! for a while now for me with the constant format changes and too many poor officials, average sides and penalty shoot-outs in the latter stages, but it is the elite competition, no doubt.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Didn't he score 11 goals in the CL? Absolutely phenominal for an attacking midfielder. Without him Milan would have got nowhere near the CL, yet with him they won it, impressive in anyones book. In the final (which was incredibly turgid and would have brought down almost every player in world football including Ronaldo) Kaka was reasonably poor. However, he got fouled for the first goal and set up the second, not a bad effort in such a poor game. Away in Milan Ronaldo was piss poor, away at Old Trafford Kaka scored 2 and was their only threat. This might have been because of the respective schedules, it might not, but it happened.

Check out his goals against us and Anderlecht (hat trick) and you will appreciate how good he is and the variety he posesses.

Ronaldo did more in the year than Kaka overall, but if Kaka wins it, it doesn't make the award a mockery ffs He's a great player who had a sensational time in the main club competition in the world.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:26 AM
S/Side.Red

Whether Milan should have been in the competition is irrelevant. That's not Kaka's fault and doesn't really have anything to do with his performances. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Milan would not have won the Champions League without him. he was top goalscorer in the competition and pretty much performed exceptionally from the first game to the last. The goal against Celtic, the three goals and general havoc wreaked in our defence, the crucial assist in Athens. He inspired them to the trophy. Ronaldo, in terms of consistency over the course of the season, probably deserved it, but that isn't what wins these awards. The people voting usually only see these players on the biggest stage and given that Ronaldo still hasn't quite done it in the major games on a regular basis, Kaka will edge him for all the awards this year.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:29 AM
jem

Default kaka

is a part-time superstar.

and the people who vote for this shit are @#%&!s.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:36 AM
@#%&!_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
is a part-time superstar.

and the people who vote for this shit are @#%&!s.
Surely you are joking?

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by @#%&!_Head
Surely you are joking?
He makes a lot of generalisations. He's part of the furniture here, you get used to him.
Closed Thread