United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:19 PM
ScarFace

Thumbs down Gary Neville On Moyes

"Ron Atkinson & Sexton were given time....So Moyes should be too"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...s-gary-neville

Gary Neville says the Manchester United players will be in more danger of getting the chop than manager David Moyes.

Neville joined Geoff Sheeves on this week's Champions League Podcast where he reiterated that Moyes will have the backing of the board despite the under-par results this season.

"I said earlier on in the season the players will be in more danger than the manager," said the former United captain. "The way in which Manchester United have always worked is to give the manager time and I believe in that philosophy.

"The players will be in more danger than the manager."

"Managers are getting sacked after 70 days but to even think of sacking a manager after seven months is nonsense, so I think [United] will support Moyes.

"You look at the people on the board, and we're talking about the Glazer family and whether they've ever been put in this position before.

"But you look at the likes of David Gill, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex Ferguson - who are obviously the main football people at Manchester United - and I don't think for one second it will be crossing their minds at this moment in time.

"The players will be more at threat and feeling nervous about whether they are part of the future."

Neville's comments come off the back of another disappointing week for United who were beaten 2-0 by Olympiakos in the first-leg, last-16 fixture, but he insists that his former club will stand by Moyes and offer him money to develop his squad over the summer.

Neville added: "I think Ed Woodwood said as part of his shareholder announcement a couple of weeks ago that the money would be there for Moyes to invest in the summer.

"I truly believe Moyes will get given the opportunity at Manchester United to complete his work.

"I've said myself, two to three years is the time that should be given to a manager for him to try and do a piece of work - there will be people who will disagree with that but that's my opinion and you won't change that.

"Sir Alex Ferguson got given two to three years and now people turn around and say that's 25 years ago, well alright, what's changed? Are we saying managers can't get given time now?

"I don't know what the board are going to do but my view of that club, which is the way they always speak and the way they've always behaved, is that managers get given time - Ron Atkinson gets given time, Dave Sexton gets given time, Sir Alex Ferguson gets given time.

"A lot of the same people are still there - Sir Bobby Charlton, Martin Edwards is still around the club.

"The people who are there believe in the philosophy around the club and have been at United for many, many years and that's why they've given David Moyes a six-year contract.

"I have to say at another football club, whether it be Chelsea - we saw with Andre Villas-Boas who was sacked - or Tottenham, Moyes would be in a lot more trouble.

"But he's at the club that you'd say he was probably safest, where the club will stand by him - think about Sir Alex Ferguson, he's public on his philosophy around giving people time.

"It probably jars against what most clubs are doing these days but, that's the Manchester United way and always has been and they would have to change that philosophy.

"In terms of an acceptable season it's gone because Manchester United have to win a trophy - that's the barometer of measuring Manchester United's seasons.

"It's not acceptable that Manchester United don't win a trophy, it's not been acceptable for 25 years, it's not going to change this year."

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Mr Castro

Well he's hardly going to criticise him given his brother is on the coaching staff.He wouldn't be welcome for Sunday Dinner then

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Switching Off

He's going to have a right shit eating grin in 3 years when Moyes wins the treble.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

spot on is neville, absolutely spot on...

except for the last bit where he says the season is already over - it isn't. olympiakos can be put back in their box and then it's an open draw that will give everyone a buzz. admittedly smalling will probably already be shitting himself in case he's selected, but apart from that i mean...

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:28 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Thumbs down

No mention again of the fact that Moyes took over the champions

The irony and £#%&!wittery of these articles talking about time is astounding. One of the reasons Mourhino wasn't the right man for the job was because he'd want a wedge to spend and 'United don't do that'. With Moyes we get 'stability' and a 'seamless transition'. Now the talk is of needing to spend £200M to get United back competing, you know the reigning champions.

Why didn't he mention the medieval tactics and performances?

£#%&! off Neville.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
"I don't know what the board are going to do."
Indeed. And thank £#%&!.

So..

Quote:
"The players will be in more danger than the manager.""
Is based on £#%&! all.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:46 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Said it before, gone right of g nev.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
Where did you end up ?

Tracey ?

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:47 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Thank god Ron and Dave were given time, look what we got after they were given time.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Pop

Never liked the little rat.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Zorg

Funny him mentioning Villas-Boas. Yeah, I bet Chelsea and Spurs are kicking themselves for sacking him

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Also, I wasn't around at the time but was Atkinson really 'given time' in a sense that in any way relates to Moyes? He took United from 8th to 3rd in his first season, then kept us in that area while winning trophies, before being sacked after a dip. Where's the comparison?

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:55 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Making the same grammatical errors repeatedly is nothing to shout about tbh.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:56 PM
HotChip

Quote:
Thank god Ron and Dave were given time, look what we got after they were given time.
Won 2 FA cups Ron, quite an exciting side given the times.

Unread 27-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Child of Darkness

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Where did you end up ?

Tracey ?
Tracey's pretty right on . Possible feminist lezza type .

£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
10 out of 10 wins in the league then........

Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
Let us not forget the flame haired right winger and get up Jesper Olsen.

Great days .

Unread 27-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Also, I wasn't around at the time but was Atkinson really 'given time' in a sense that in any way relates to Moyes? He took United from 8th to 3rd in his first season, then kept us in that area while winning trophies, before being sacked after a dip. Where's the comparison?
There isn't one.

The way people talk you'd think every single previous United manager took over the champions, spent a fortune, played atrocious football, plummeted down the table, lost a string of home games, and got knocked out of all the cups by a load of £#%&!ing shite.

Unread 27-02-2014, 09:02 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
, and got knocked out of all the cups by a load of £#%&!ing shite.
we've not been knocked out of all the cups 'yet' don't you know

Unread 27-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
And you'll say it again. And again........
Closed Thread