United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:34 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Sure but the last two windows we did well. Nothing to say we can’t do well again. Add five players (for sake of argument three solid buys, two up and coming such as AWB) to the likes of AWB, de Gea, Williams, Maguire, Bailly, Bruno, lindelof, Tuanzabe, McT, Fred, Rashford, Martial James, Greenwood, plus some academy players and we have to be ready to compete. No excuses. I don’t think we are in half as bad a state as you do.

And since when did competing mean winning every single game? Liverpool are having a freak season. See City the season before and City now. Winning every game has never been the yardstick of success and what’s happening this season doesn’t change that.
I suppose it depends what you mean by 'competing' then.

Competing like Liverpool in the 90s? Like Spurs domestically under Poch? Or being in with a shout to win the title in May?

I think we're still miles off.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Sure but the last two windows we did well. Nothing to say we can’t do well again. Add five players (for sake of argument three solid buys, two up and coming such as AWB) to the likes of AWB, de Gea, Williams, Maguire, Bailly, Bruno, lindelof, Tuanzabe, McT, Fred, Rashford, Martial James, Greenwood, plus some academy players and we have to be ready to compete. No excuses. I don’t think we are in half as bad a state as you do.

And since when did competing mean winning every single game? Liverpool are having a freak season. See City the season before and City now. Winning every game has never been the yardstick of success and what’s happening this season doesn’t change that.
Liverpool have drawn 1 game this season pal. To compete with them we'd have to win them all.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:41 PM
AK14

Quote:
Fred is 26. Bruno around the same I think. That’s the age we need to be recruiting, as well as some younger talent. Are we really going to pass over a 25 year old because we need five more years to transition

Can’t agree on this long term pain thing at all. Two more windows max and we should be where we need to be to compete. Of course this is where ole will need to earn his money. The signing of Bruno has given me a bit more optimism that we’re on the right track, although that may change if we don’t beat Watford.
Kind of my point tbf.

If we don’t pull our finger out then we’ll be rebuilding the current rebuild. It takes time obviously but I’ve got no confidence in the board that they’ll back Ole (or who ever) to actually finish this supposed rebuild.

As I said we should be looking at replacing the likes of Jones, Rojo, Mata, Lingard (squad players) with players that won’t cost the world who are ready for the next up and free transfer out of contract players. That way we can still spend big on key players and allowing us to have a larger turn over in players meaning the rebuild doesn’t take 3-5 years to complete.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:47 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Liverpool have drawn 1 game this season pal. To compete with them we'd have to win them all.
That won’t last
They have some crazy mentality the last 2 seasons and teams have an inferiority complex against them but like with city this season this will change

Barca and Madrid were putting up 100 plus points seasons in La Liga but no more

We just have to be ready for 2 seasons from now to pounce
Don’t look remotely close to doing that

Unread 22-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
I suppose it depends what you mean by 'competing' then.

Competing like Liverpool in the 90s? Like Spurs domestically under Poch? Or being in with a shout to win the title in May?

I think we're still miles off.
If the standard is dropping 2 points all season, we’re a mile off. But then, so is everyone unless they improve their team doctor. But we can easily be getting 80+ points next season, and I don’t think Liverpool or city will be over 90 next year. We’ve dropped 20 points this season that wouldn’t have been that hard to win with 3 or 4 more of the right players in midfield and attack. We’ve since bought one.

Unread 22-02-2020, 04:41 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
This season.....

They won't maintain that....

Unread 22-02-2020, 04:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
This season.....

They won't maintain that....
Of course they won’t, but they’ve stepped it up from City last season etc. You’ve got to be practically flawless to compete.

Unread 22-02-2020, 04:56 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
If the standard is dropping 2 points all season, we’re a mile off. But then, so is everyone unless they improve their team doctor. But we can easily be getting 80+ points next season, and I don’t think Liverpool or city will be over 90 next year. We’ve dropped 20 points this season that wouldn’t have been that hard to win with 3 or 4 more of the right players in midfield and attack. We’ve since bought one.

Unread 22-02-2020, 05:42 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Managed 81 under Mou

Unread 22-02-2020, 05:44 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:

Unread 23-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Norris Cole

Quote:
Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Romero, the other keeper who's name I can never remember, Matic, Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Gomes, Pogba and Sanchez all to be gone, permanently, by the start of next season, for me.

If Bailly's injury record doesn't improve, he can GTFO too, jury is out on Dalot for similar reasons.

Problem then will be us only signing 2 players and having an even weaker squad next season as 4 of that lot leave on a free and the rest for knock down prices leaving us with f*** all to re-invest
Had a think about these names listed to be gone...

Can’t see any reason the keepers will or need to be going tbh. Matic and Mata will be allowed to run their last year down IMO and be squad options.

Sanchez and Rojo are as good as gone and haven’t been missed.

Jones will be sold and Smalling will likely come back. Would again be useful as defence options with Bailey and Tuanzebe.

Perreria will be retained as a squad option, Lingard and Pogba will be sold and replaced accordingly this Summer, in addition to an attacker.

Chong and Gomes are non-entities and won’t be missed.

Hardly wholesale recruitment needed now. Summer 2021 can be used to replace Mata, Matic and probably Smalling. By that Sanchez and Rojo should be fully off the books.

Unread 23-02-2020, 03:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Cole
Had a think about these names listed to be gone...

Can’t see any reason the keepers will or need to be going tbh. Matic and Mata will be allowed to run their last year down IMO and be squad options.

Sanchez and Rojo are as good as gone and haven’t been missed.

Jones will be sold and Smalling will likely come back. Would again be useful as defence options with Bailey and Tuanzebe.

Perreria will be retained as a squad option, Lingard and Pogba will be sold and replaced accordingly this Summer, in addition to an attacker.

Chong and Gomes are non-entities and won’t be missed.

Hardly wholesale recruitment needed now. Summer 2021 can be used to replace Mata, Matic and probably Smalling. By that Sanchez and Rojo should be fully off the books.
The keepers are being allowed to leave in the summer.

This is the last year of Matic’s deal.

Neither Estudiantes nor Inter will make the deals for Rojo or Sanchez permanent.

Smalling will be joining Roma or Inter on a permanent deal.

Unread 23-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
The keepers are being allowed to leave in the summer.

This is the last year of Matic’s deal.

Neither Estudiantes nor Inter will make the deals for Rojo or Sanchez permanent.

Smalling will be joining Roma or Inter on a permanent deal.
If rojo and jones piss off, might be worth keeping smalling as 4th choice CB

Unread 23-02-2020, 04:08 PM
red in cumbria

This thread is still going?

Unread 23-02-2020, 04:12 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
This thread is still going?
New to dunk?

Unread 23-02-2020, 06:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Romero, the other keeper who's name I can never remember, Matic, Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Gomes, Pogba and Sanchez all to be gone, permanently, by the start of next season, for me.

If Bailly's injury record doesn't improve, he can GTFO too, jury is out on Dalot for similar reasons.

Problem then will be us only signing 2 players and having an even weaker squad next season as 4 of that lot leave on a free and the rest for knock down prices leaving us with £#%&! all to re-invest
Even if we only bring in 3 quality players, we can still supplement those by drafting in 4 or 5 more from the academy to round out the squad. Personally, I’d keep Matic on a restricted workload. Tuazebe, Laird, Levitt and Garner have to be close to the point where we see what they’ve got.

If we can buy/draft 7 new faces then that gives us plenty of scope to ditch the worst of the dross. As much as I’d love a quality CB and CM, I’d concentrate on the front line and bring in Grealish, Sancho and a top quality centre forward if we can.

Unread 25-02-2020, 06:24 PM
puressence

Big Emmanuel Dennis ruled out second leg

Unread 25-02-2020, 09:30 PM
utd99

Quote:
Your last line is exactly why I'm against signings like Matic, he needs replacing now before we've had chance to replace half of the players that needed replacing before he arrived and he cost £40m. Surely we could've done better with that money? Imagine we'd signed Boateng/Alderweireld, Wilian and Perisic ffs If you can get them for next to £#%&! all, fair enough, but paying proper money for anyone over 27-28 is a fools errand, unless the rest of the squad is set.
In retrospect, this is why hiring and supporting Mourinho’s decisions was a mistake.Everything he does is for him, right now. At least with Ole you know that evrything he’s doing is for the club and the long term. I just hope we keep faith.

Unread 25-02-2020, 09:34 PM
jem

I would put people who don't like matic or smalling in the same category as those who think priti patel is worth a squirt.

Unread 25-02-2020, 09:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I would put people who don't like matic or smalling in the same category as those who think priti patel is worth a squirt.
Awful, evil hag.

Patel, not Matic... or Jem