United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Does Marcus Rashford remind you of Andy Cole?
Yes - he is quite clearly very reminiscent of Andy Cole 3 4.84%
Lol no 59 95.16%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 28-10-2022, 02:37 PM
NedKelly

Default Does Marcus Rashford remind you of Andy Cole?

Doing this on behalf of Trippers, who made the comparison in the match thread from last night.

It’s a bold claim imo, but according to the Tripmeister anyone who disagrees with him doesn’t understand football.

So, let’s see how many of us understand the game.

Unread 28-10-2022, 02:38 PM
atticusgrinch

Well, he's black...

Unread 28-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Is he black? Hadn’t noticed. I don’t see colour.

#wokestatreds

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:02 PM
waynes ear's

No.

Andy Cole was good with a football

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:05 PM
My Name is Heath

Yes.

He's black. Fast. Fit.

Andy Cole was a much better finisher and footballer though.

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:05 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Well, he's black...
I am starting to wonder if that’s what trippers meant

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Baron

Cole only joined Utd around the age that Rashford is now (I think, 24-25?) & wasn't exactly banging in 30 a season (never hit 20 league goals for us) so it's not a massive exaggeration based on stats, but his style & performances don't really remind me of Cole tbh.

He just isn't as good a footballer, but he can still improve a lot in the next few years if he puts in as much effort & strikes up a footballing relationship the way Cole did with Yorkey.

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:11 PM
Joe Biden

I've heard it all now.

No.

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:14 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Cole only joined Utd around the age that Rashford is now (I think, 24-25?) & wasn't exactly banging in 30 a season (never hit 20 league goals for us) so it's not a massive exaggeration based on stats, but his style & performances don't really remind me of Cole tbh. He's just as good a footballer, but he can still improve a lot in the next few years if he puts in as much effort & strikes up a footballing relationship the way Cole did with Yorkey.
We bought him because he scored 34 goals for Newcastle the previous season

Banging them in was about all he did. As he developed his game with us, his overall play became better.

He also used to scuff shot and looked a bit ‘awkward’ with his finishing sometimes. Rashford goes for power too much.

Rashford is also better as a wide player. Cole didn’t drift out wide and was always a central striker.

Rashford is greedy, Cole wasn’t.

But yeah, otherwise completely the same.

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:14 PM
Bunker Buster

If anything he's better ! So no, not similar at all....

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:30 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We bought him because he scored 34 goals for Newcastle the previous season

Banging them in was about all he did. As he developed his game with us, his overall play became better.

He also used to scuff shot and looked a bit ‘awkward’ with his finishing sometimes. Rashford goes for power too much.

Rashford is also better as a wide player. Cole didn’t drift out wide and was always a central striker.

Rashford is greedy, Cole wasn’t.

But yeah, otherwise completely the same.
Well yes, but he didn't do that for us. So it's safe to say that was an anomaly at PL level, he was around 1 in 2 for league goals which is still very decent while at Utd with the best service any side has probably ever had, it just isn't the goal machine sort of stuff but he was very much greater than the sum of his parts with his partnership with Yorke, work rate & ability to actually play football properly. The range of his goals was great, chips from outside the box, overhead kicks & the tap-ins.

I'd hope Rashford can find his role, get settled & play in the side without injury and hit the heights he did a few years ago but yeah, they're not the sort of players I'd suggest were of a similar ilk.

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:33 PM
Neo

Lightbulb

Very similar level of dedication to extra-curricular, off-field pursuits.

Rashy with his social justice, and Coley with his music. Both outstanding.

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:39 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Well yes, but he didn't do that for us. So it's safe to say that was an anomaly at PL level, he was around 1 in 2 for league goals which is still very decent while at Utd with the best service any side has probably ever had, it just isn't the goal machine sort of stuff but he was very much greater than the sum of his parts with his partnership with Yorke, work rate & ability to actually play football properly. The range of his goals was great, chips from outside the box, overhead kicks & the tap-ins.

I'd hope Rashford can find his role, get settled & play in the side without injury and hit the heights he did a few years ago but yeah, they're not the sort of players I'd suggest were of a similar ilk.
He didn’t for us, no, but you were comparing him and Rashford at the same age (24/25). At the point of signing for us, Cole had 55 goals in 70 games for Newcastle (43 in the premier league over a season and a half). Rashford isn’t that prolific.

Cole was a goal scorer who became a better all round player. Rashford is a good all round player who we’re trying to make a better goal scorer.

Agree re your assessment of the kind of player cole was for us in terms of his partnerships, type of goals. I don’t think that’s the case with Rashford. He doesn’t score a lot of different types of goals. He has more trademarks you associate with him. Cole was a very unselfish player for us too. Rashford isnt.

They’re just not similar at all really

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:40 PM
NedKelly

£#%&!ing hell here we go

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:41 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
£#%&!ing hell here we go
Don’t pretend you didn’t want this when you made the thread

#grenadepinreds

Unread 28-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Baron

Quote:
He didn’t for us, no, but you were comparing him and Rashford at the same age (24/25). At the point of signing for us, Cole had 55 goals in 70 games for Newcastle (43 in the premier league over a season and a half). Rashford isn’t that prolific.

Cole was a goal scorer who became a better all round player. Rashford is a good all round player who we’re trying to make a better goal scorer.

Agree re your assessment of the kind of player cole was for us in terms of his partnerships, type of goals. I don’t think that’s the case with Rashford. He doesn’t score a lot of different types of goals. He has more trademarks you associate with him. Cole was a very unselfish player for us too. Rashford isnt.

They’re just not similar at all really

The thing is Cole improved dramatically for the better of the team, but his own stats went down despite playing in a better side. Rashford has played in a far shitter side than Cole ever did & has had success with finding the net, it's just his consistency is proper store detective.

If he improves as much as Cole did from this age onward, he could be excellent, but he's really £#%&!ing frustrating - I hope ETH can drill the fundamentals into him & his work ethic and humility allows for development. I'm not 100% convinced that is the case given how often he looks like a slapped £#%&!ing arse, but then if he doesn't do it I'd expect Big ETH'ers to ship him out & get someone who can do it.

Unread 28-10-2022, 04:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

The thing is Cole improved dramatically for the better of the team, but his own stats went down despite playing in a better side. Rashford has played in a far shitter side than Cole ever did & has had success with finding the net, it's just his consistency is proper store detective.

If he improves as much as Cole did from this age onward, he could be excellent, but he's really £#%&!ing frustrating - I hope ETH can drill the fundamentals into him & his work ethic and humility allows for development. I'm not 100% convinced that is the case given how often he looks like a slapped £#%&!ing arse, but then if he doesn't do it I'd expect Big ETH'ers to ship him out & get someone who can do it.
Agreed, Pal.

Unread 28-10-2022, 04:02 PM
Time For Heroes

No, Cole's finishing was superb (apart from West Ham away in 95).

Unread 28-10-2022, 04:04 PM
jem

Quote:

this. if rashers were a good all-round player.

should never have sold coley.

Unread 28-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this. if rashers were a good all-round player.

should never have sold coley.
I think the time was right. RVN was here and he was used to being the main man.
Closed Thread