United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Is Lionel Messi the greatest player ever?
Yes 38 37.62%
No 63 62.38%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 21-03-2012, 04:42 AM
bcred

Zico,Best,Platini,Fat Ronaldo,Messi. Saw all of them once or twice.
Maradonna for me.
I never saw Cruyff or Pele live I must admit.

Brasil best ten.... http://www.bestbrazilblog.com/2011/1...s-of-all-time/

Unread 21-03-2012, 06:58 AM
BarryX

Up there with Maradonna and Pele, no doubt about it for me. 235 goals for Barca, 3 times world player of the year, by the time he's 24 - that's just bonkers when you think about it. Not sure what he could ever do to be generally recognised as the single greatest player of all time (I mean, could he ever top Pele's personal scoring record, or get attributed to 'single handedly' winning the world cup like Maradonna), but did either of them achieve so much, so soon ? Should he be ranked alongside them. Absolutely.

Unread 21-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Tiberian

He may very well be.

As a dribbler the current refereeing directives help, he does not take the physical punishment that previous generations had to accept, and he is playing for one of the great club sides of all time in a period where they only really have one major domestic rival because of the financial dominance of those 2 clubs. You could say that the accumulation of elite players at a limited number of clubs also contributes to his superiority, allows Barca to control virtually every game they play and gives him an incredible platform to perform. His international record, on a more level playing field is not as impressive, there are reasons for that outside of his control but the detractors will say that the very best overcome those obstacles.

However the consistency of performance can not be dismissed, invariably the best player on the pitch in every game he plays, forget the goals for a moment, and look at his mastery of the ball, how much fear he puts into defenders when on the run, how difficult it is to tackle him. He is unselfish as well, if a pass is on he has the vision and ability to play it.

The goal record is absurd, he could very easily score 70 goals this season. That type of return belongs in the 1950's .

Just on a side point I do not understand Saffers thinking Ronaldinho is better than Messi. He had 2/3 great years at Barca but at no point was he as dominant a figure. Scored far fewer goals, did not work as hard, was not as consistently dangerous running with the ball. His international performance have been very patchy as well, won the World Cup in 2002 but at that point Ronaldo and Rivaldo were much more important to the national side than he was.

He was great to watch but what did he actually do better than Messi? Perhaps set pieces and long range shooting. He had flashier individual tricks that could embarrass a defender but Messi has more control over a ball at pace. Add to that a prime that only lasted for 2, maybe 3 years at a stretch and there is not a convincing argument for him over Messi.

Unread 21-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Crumps

RE the Champions League v World Cup.

Messi would have to move to one of the French or Portuguese teams (for argument's sake) and win the CL for them to be on a par with Maradonna's achievements.

Unread 21-03-2012, 09:40 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
RE the Champions League v World Cup.

Messi would have to move to one of the French or Portuguese teams (for argument's sake) and win the CL for them to be on a par with Maradonna's achievements.
whilst developing a major coke habit.

I love Maradonna, but remain convinced that the high quality Colombian nose candy he was allegedly consuming throughout his career (at least from his Barca days) gave him that extra boost of confidence, that elevated him to, quite literally, the highest levels.

Unread 21-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Ghetts

For me he is the best I have ever seen followed closely by Zidane.

Unread 21-03-2012, 10:27 AM
ReligiousRed

There can be no best player ever.

Can anyone head a ball with the power Law did ?

Can anyone strike a ball the way Ronaldo does ?

Can anyone put in tackles like Bobby Moore did ?

Can anyone keep out shots like Grimson did ?

Can anyone run rings round players like Messi does ?

Can anyone break ankles like Stonie did/does ?

Can anyone come out with the skills Ronaldinho did ?

The answer to these i'm sure to some would be yes of course, followed by examples, but can anyone deny they are complete different aspects of the game ? You can't win a game without scoring, you can't win a game if you let more than you score in, you can't win things without a midfield ( please prove me wrong )

Anyway, not to be a piss on the cake but just saying, you can't say the best ever because it depends what you're saying they're the best at and i don't believe in all rounders in football.

Unread 21-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Ghetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
There can be no best player ever.

Can anyone head a ball with the power Law did ?

Can anyone strike a ball the way Ronaldo does ?

Can anyone put in tackles like Bobby Moore did ?

Can anyone run rings round players like Messi does ?

Can anyone break ankles like Stonie did/does ?

Can anyone come out with the skills Ronaldinho did ?

The answer to these i'm sure to some would be yes of course, followed by examples, but can anyone deny they are complete different aspects of the game ? You can't win a game without scoring, you can't win a game if you let more than you score in, you can't win things without a midfield ( please prove me wrong )

Anyway, not to be a piss on the cake but just saying, you can't say the best ever because it depends what you're saying they're the best at and i don't believe in all rounders in football.
Agreed with all of this, its like the who's the best band of all time or the classic poll form here and RI, who is better stone Roses or Oasis

Its all about who you personally think is the best and for me its Messi.

Unread 21-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Ginners

the correct answer is yes

Unread 21-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed

[/b][/i]
That blind fella for FC and Fraser Digby.

Unread 21-03-2012, 11:25 AM
toseeunited

all 234 of his goals in one video:

Unread 21-03-2012, 11:30 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Maradonna winning the W/C with Argentina and the league with Napoli are greater achievements than Messi has managed thus far imo. Messi is a key part of perhaps the greatest team ever.

Apples and oranges though innit.

I reckon NO btw.
I sort of agree with that. tbh, I don't think you can compare players from different era's, although it's a fun argument

Messi's incredible tbh, I thought Ronaldo (Brazilian) was the most destructive attacking player I'd ever see, but Messi goes even beyond that. Whether he's against a mid table side or the likes of Real Madrid, he just takes the opposition apart. At club level, he's also a 'big game' player. Almost always turns up in Clasico's, finals etc. He's utterly amazing.

However, rightly or wrongly, I don't think he can be called the 'greatest' until he performs at a World Cup. All the recent greats - Xavi, Zidane, Ronaldo, Baggio, Romario etc, have all performed in footballs greatest tournament.

A lot of people who are quick to declare Messi the best never saw Pele or Garrincha, have only ever seen the Cruyff turn on telly and have probably never sat through an entire 90 minutes of Maradona playing.

Unread 21-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Part 36 Offer

http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/s...-over-granada/

another worldy hat-trick

Unread 21-03-2012, 11:42 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
stop talking like a £#%&!ing mincer.

Unread 21-03-2012, 11:47 AM
The Watcher

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
couldnt cut in the premiership though
All the greats are ultimately judged by what Andy Gray thinks they'd do against Stoke in the rain.

Harri Jaffa

fwiw - My favourite player to watch right now is Xavi and has to be up there as one of the best player ever imho

Barca - Current best club team or, Spain - Current world and european Champions would not be as good as they are without him.

motwyw...

JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
agreed entirely pal

love watching him play.

couldnt cut in the premiership though
Can you imagine him playing against that Wolves defence the other day?

A black hole would have formed at Molineux

Unread 21-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Ghetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
fwiw - My favourite player to watch right now is Xavi and has to be up there as one of the best player ever imho

Barca - Current best club team or, Spain - Current world and european Champions would not be as good as they are without him.

motwyw...
The exact same can be said of Iniesta imo.

Unread 21-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetts
The exact same can be said of Iniesta imo.
Iniesta isn't my faourite player to watch

Unread 21-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Ghetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Iniesta isn't my faourite player to watch
Quote:
This part
Closed Thread