United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 13-12-2023, 12:15 AM
Dr Stranger

I can’t believe how bad that goal is. Sparky’s Soccer Aid comparison is about right. Onana is fundamentally a bad goalkeeper. That’s worse than a howler. Any keeper can let one slip between his fingers now and again, but this goalkeeper doesn’t know how…to….keep goal. He looked like Vinnie Jones out there.

I don’t recall a United side so poor at defending and attacking at the same time than this one. We don’t even create chances. I honestly can’t think of 5 genuine chances that Hojlund has missed for us in his whole time here

Unread 13-12-2023, 03:32 AM
croady26

Can remember being proper gutted when bottom of the group in 05/06,however felt nothing this time as we brought it on ourselves

Unread 13-12-2023, 03:36 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by croady26
Can remember being proper gutted when bottom of the group in 05/06,however felt nothing this time as we brought it on ourselves
We were lacklustre then and genuinely going through short term pain for a brighter future.(on the pitch)

This campaign is easily our worst ever in the CL, just incompetence everywhere.

Unread 13-12-2023, 03:44 AM
croady26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kaboom
There's a stench of death about the whole place right now. Ratcliffe might just decide it's not worth the hassle and leave the Gimps to it.
Wouldn't blame him for pulling out as this club is on a huge downward decline,can't even call it a slope anymore

Unread 13-12-2023, 04:07 AM
shenwen

Best outcome. Happy for the Danes. Must be our most embarrassing CL adventure ever no? Bottom of that group

Don't see where we go from here. Would have been nice to go out with a fight but that's expecting too much off this team and management. Did we even get a shot on target? Johnny Evans carrying the ball out of defence a few weeks away from 2024 only to kick into touch was an indication of just how far we've fallen.

Unread 13-12-2023, 05:29 AM
believe

Phew

Unread 13-12-2023, 07:37 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Phew

We got away with one there for sure

Unread 13-12-2023, 07:48 AM
MUFC One Love

Absolute garbage.

Unread 13-12-2023, 09:58 AM
magic_cantona

It never looked at any stage last night that we could lay a glove on Bayern. Never looked threatening and never had a sustained period of pressure - in a must win game. Part of that is the squad but when we hit 60 minutes and everyone looked £#%&!ed, why not throw fresh legs on? It's was like watching an ant trying to knock a bear out.

Unread 13-12-2023, 10:04 AM
wiganste

Gutless & spineless are 2 words to describe United these days

No leaders, no discipline, no ideas. A squad riddled with bang average players and some horrendous shite (I'm looking at you Dalot)

Can't see a way out of this atm.

The only plus point is we don't get to darken the doors of the Europa League. And to be frank, we'd get embarrassed in that competition too

Unread 13-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
It never looked at any stage last night that we could lay a glove on Bayern. Never looked threatening and never had a sustained period of pressure - in a must win game. Part of that is the squad but when we hit 60 minutes and everyone looked £#%&!ed, why not throw fresh legs on? It's was like watching an ant trying to knock a bear out.
They played like a group of lads who knew they were out. Tried, but no real belief.

I don’t like phrases like “downed tools” and “lost the dressing room”. They’re reductive and lazily thrown around, but a group of players can look lost and like they don’t really believe in what they’re doing. That’s this lot.

We look like a team that has no idea what to do and I’m not sure ETH knows how to get us out of it. His comments are becoming increasingly more “that’s football”. Talking a lot about individual mistakes and referencing small margins, like Ole used to.

We look like we’re just hoping and waiting for it to click. One change from that absolute debacle against Bournemouth. We were totally outplayed and out done by them and he basically changed nothing. Made one change at the back.

It’ll be the same on Sunday. We might be missing a few, but who really
Gives a £#%&! if Luke Shaw is there or not? We’ve had various combinations of individuals in the same system this season and the performances have been consistently awful from game one against Wolves. We’ve had one complete performance all season - against palace in the league cup with two weakened sides. I don’t expect us to approach the game in any different way.

The idea that we will fight harder and want it more than them seems far fetched. And it shouldn’t. It should be a minimum expectation

I’m sure there will be more talk this week about a reaction and how we must do x, y and z better, before we fail to do any of it.

Our lowest ebb as we head into the worst possible fixture. I’ll be amazed if we score and/lose by less than 3 at Anfield.

Unread 13-12-2023, 10:39 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They played like a group of lads who knew they were out. Tried, but no real belief.

I don’t like phrases like “downed tools” and “lost the dressing room”. They’re reductive and lazily thrown around, but a group of players can look lost and like they don’t really believe in what they’re doing. That’s this lot.

We look like a team that has no idea what to do and I’m not sure ETH knows how to get us out of it. His comments are becoming increasingly more “that’s football”. Talking a lot about individual mistakes and referencing small margins, like Ole used to.

We look like we’re just hoping and waiting for it to click. One change from that absolute debacle against Bournemouth. We were totally outplayed and out done by them and he basically changed nothing. Made one change at the back.

It’ll be the same on Sunday. We might be missing a few, but who really
Gives a £#%&! if Luke Shaw is there or not? We’ve had various combinations of individuals in the same system this season and the performances have been consistently awful from game one against Wolves. We’ve had one complete performance all season - against palace in the league cup with two weakened sides.

I’m sure there will be more talk this week about a reaction and how we must do x, y and z better, before we fail to do any of it.

Our lowest ebb as we head into the worst possible fixture. I’ll be amazed if we score and/lose by less than 3 at Anfield.
Two

Unread 13-12-2023, 10:51 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Two
Ah yes. Of course. Martial started against Bournemouth. I’m sure I won’t be the last person to forget he played.

Unread 13-12-2023, 11:15 AM
Zorg

Quote:
£#%&! principles, just park the bus. Seriously. We need to salvage some pride. Defend at all costs.

Unread 13-12-2023, 11:25 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
£#%&! principles, just park the bus. Seriously. We need to salvage some pride. Defend at all costs.
I'd go with how we played against Arsenal (minus the late goal). They will murder us on the counter if we press up.

Unread 13-12-2023, 11:27 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
He needs to be more flexible. I think there’s a sweet spot. Sticking an extra man in midfield would be a start.

This The Scottish Player renaissance needs to end sharpish. Mainoo starting one game since his debut is odd. Hannibal looking decent and then disappearing is another one. He’s not necessarily the answer, but neither is The Scottish Player.

another regression seems to be his unwillingness to play to our strengths. I think back to last season where we started passing out from the back. We got bitten in the first two games, so he changed it. There was a willingness to adapt. Where has that gone? We set up the same way each week and see the same issues.

Unread 13-12-2023, 11:45 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Can't see a way out of this atm.
there should be a slot at the front. hang on to a £20 note and hold your tummy in.

Quote:
He needs to be more flexiblel
lol.

Unread 13-12-2023, 12:10 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there should be a slot at the front. hang on to a £20 note and hold your tummy in.

lol.

Unread 13-12-2023, 01:43 PM
Sheik JaBooty

It would be far easier to back ten Hag if the players he brought in were the shining lights amid a sea of dregs, but they're not. If anything his buys have made us worse.

Unread 13-12-2023, 01:52 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by croady26
Wouldn't blame him for pulling out as this club is on a huge downward decline,can't even call it a slope anymore
Wow. They have names you know.

Reported.