United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:07 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Leeds 0 - United 4

Speaking of Karel

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Sizlack

Only penalty Eric ever missed in that game. I seem to remember.

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:17 AM
S/Side.Red

Remember following it on Teletext as a kid and could not £#%&!ing believe my little eyes when it said Cantona missed pen

By the time I'd gone to the shops and back it was about 0-3 and couldn't wait for MOTD to see Eric's celebration

Great sound when Karel's effort hits the net

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:18 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Remember following it on Teletext as a kid and could not £#%&!ing believe my little eyes when it said Cantona missed pen

By the time I'd gone to the shops and back it was about 0-3 and couldn't wait for MOTD.

How old are you, pal? Had you down for late 40s....

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
How old are you, pal? Had you down for late 40s....
Miles off

Have now passed the 30 mark, though

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Sizlack

Quote:

By the time I'd gone to the shops and back it was about 0-3 and couldn't wait for MOTD to see Eric's celebration

Didn't gigs do his best to drag him away from the Leeds end I cant watch it as iam in the office

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Didn't gigs do his best to drag him away from the Leeds end I cant watch it as iam in the office
Yep

The days before vines etc when you had to wait hours to get a look at something like that. Great moment

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:23 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Miles off

Have now passed the 30 mark, though.
Jeeeesus... you're only a couple of years older than me then I'm guessing. Was 9 when that game took place... Sure I watched it on tele' though.

Seemed to always play Leeds away on an early kick-off back then... Them and Liverpool seemed to be the only games at that time.

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:24 AM
suffolkred

Quote:
And only thing Karel Poborsky ever did of note if I remember correctly.

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
blackburn saved
newcastle in glasgow chipped one over
dundalk saved

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM
dragflick

Thumbs up

Quote:

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:28 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Jeeeesus... you're only a couple of years older than me then I'm guessing. Was 9 when that game took place... Sure I watched it on tele' though.

Seemed to always play Leeds away on an early kick-off back then... Them and Liverpool seemed to be the only games at that time.
Alright mate, steady on

I'm sure it was a Saturday 3pm gig?

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:30 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
blackburn saved
dundalk saved

Your right, he missed 2 'competitive' ones. I remember him missing one against Glasgow Rangers in a friendly? That might be the Newcastle one up there?

Spot on for United

Thanks to our friends at Opta, we have taken a look at United's penalty record in the Barclays Premier League since Eric Cantona's arrival in 1992.
Cantona is perhaps considered the best spot-kick taker in the club's history, although he did miss on two occasions. The Frenchman's ability to send the goalkeeper the wrong way was a real skill and his tally of 14 in 16 matches is very impressive.

Louis Saha, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Dimitar Berbatov all have 100 per cent records in the Barclays Premier League but Saha once failed from the spot in the last minute of a Champions League tie at Celtic.
Denis Irwin also enjoyed a fine run from 12 yards and even converted the rebound from one of the two he missed, against West Ham.

Louis Saha 4 out of 4 - 100%
David Beckham 2 out of 2 - 100%
Dimitar Berbatov 2 out of 2 - 100%
Ryan Giggs 2 out of 2 - 100%
Eric Cantona 14 out of 16 - 88%
Cristiano Ronaldo 11 out of 13 - 84%
Ruud van Nistelrooy 18 out of 22 - 82%
Denis Irwin 8 out of 10 - 80%
Wayne Rooney 13 out of 20 - 65%
Javier Hernandez 1 out of 2 - 50%
Robin van Persie 1 out of 2 - 50%
Paul Scholes 1 out of 3 - 33%
Teddy Sheringham 1 out of 3 - 33%
Michael Carrick 0 out of 1 - 0%
Nani 0 out of 1 - 0%
Dwight Yorke 0 out of 1 - 0%

We all remember Yorkies, remember his tongue anyway

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:32 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
blackburn saved
dundalk saved

Tim Flowers? Forgot about that.

The @#%&!.

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:33 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Alright mate, steady on

I'm sure it was a Saturday 3pm gig?
Soz mate, just seem a lot older...... Not been this surprised since I found out TBR has a couple of kids. £#%&! knows about kick off time, leeds away games from back then always reminds me of early kick offs...

Just done this from the youtube vid... one of the best celebrations of all time, nfqat:

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM
suffolkred

Quote:
Your right, he missed 2 'competitive' ones. I remember him missing one against Glasgow Rangers in a friendly? That might be the Newcastle one up there?
In 1994 when he was sent then sent off for a two footed challenge?

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:51 AM
redhegemony

Did Dennis only take 10?

Rooney's record is poor though goalkeepers' technique has probably improved

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:52 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Soz mate, just seem a lot older...... Not been this surprised since I found out TBR has a couple of kids. £#%&! knows about kick off time, leeds away games from back then always reminds me of early kick offs...

Just done this from the youtube vid... one of the best celebrations of all time, nfqat:

Got to love English fans. Most others countries he'd have been killed.

Unread 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM
suffolkred

Quote:

Spot on for United

Thanks to our friends at Opta, we have taken a look at United's penalty record in the Barclays Premier League since Eric Cantona's arrival in 1992.
Cantona is perhaps considered the best spot-kick taker in the club's history, although he did miss on two occasions. The Frenchman's ability to send the goalkeeper the wrong way was a real skill and his tally of 14 in 16 matches is very impressive.

Louis Saha, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Dimitar Berbatov all have 100 per cent records in the Barclays Premier League but Saha once failed from the spot in the last minute of a Champions League tie at Celtic.
Denis Irwin also enjoyed a fine run from 12 yards and even converted the rebound from one of the two he missed, against West Ham.

Louis Saha 4 out of 4 - 100%
David Beckham 2 out of 2 - 100%
Dimitar Berbatov 2 out of 2 - 100%
Ryan Giggs 2 out of 2 - 100%
Eric Cantona 14 out of 16 - 88%
Cristiano Ronaldo 11 out of 13 - 84%
Ruud van Nistelrooy 18 out of 22 - 82%
Denis Irwin 8 out of 10 - 80%
Wayne Rooney 13 out of 20 - 65%
Javier Hernandez 1 out of 2 - 50%
Robin van Persie 1 out of 2 - 50%
Paul Scholes 1 out of 3 - 33%
Teddy Sheringham 1 out of 3 - 33%
Michael Carrick 0 out of 1 - 0%
Nani 0 out of 1 - 0%
Dwight Yorke 0 out of 1 - 0%

We all remember Yorkies, remember his tongue anyway
Shame that list doesn't include records pre Premier League. Steve Bruce was our main penalty taker in 1990-1991 and scored 10 or so in one season. Ended up with 19 goals in all competitions.

Unread 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM
guerreiro

I have zero recollection of Rush playing for Leeds? That team sheet was awful.