United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 01-06-2023, 11:47 AM
GeorgeWickstaff

I saw a stat that stated Eriksen is in the top 5 premier league players for distance covered in games?

You tend to go along with the dreary narrative he does not work and is only good with ball at feet.

He is not a crunching tackler but he works hard. You'd think a cross country runner such as The Scottish Player would have higher stats but alas he does not!

Stats

Unread 01-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Happy to oblige - better for you to know now than to wear pie on your face after the fact, what with bracketing Madison + Mount as similar players.

Cas, Bruno, Mount, Rashers, Anthony + legit goal scoring CF .. ball-retaining pressing machine ..

Unread 01-06-2023, 11:53 AM
pedr0

Mount I don't think has ever played in a midfield two.

He would be a very good rotation option for the wide spots or Brunos role. But not sure that's the most pressing issue.

I'm over simplifying but If it was a choice between mount + hojlund or just kane, I'd pick kane every time

Unread 01-06-2023, 12:03 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
Mount I don't think has ever played in a midfield two.

He would be a very good rotation option for the wide spots or Brunos role. But not sure that's the most pressing issue.

I'm over simplifying but If it was a choice between mount + hojlund or just kane, I'd pick kane every time
Rightly or wrongly, ETH does not play a midfield 2, therefore it's a moot point. If you back the manager, then it's about finding the right players for the system.

Mount feels like he's been around a while, but he's only just turned 24. Given Carrick has been mentioned (not so much type of player, as profile of player), the context there was a far more unfinished player joining at a later age then going on to give 10+ years service to the club. Mount's characteristics similarly seem like those that will mature with age. There's a little bit of the young James Milner in Mount, which again some may laugh at, until they review the fact Milner was key in a team that played numerous European Cup finals while also picking up league titles across several sides. Elite managers love these tactically adept players. They're a totally different style of profile to a James Maddison type who needs a team built around them to cover up their weaknesses.

The club are nailing a lot of risk to the mast by carrying Eriksen + Cas as the two midfield lynchpins both at 31, with basically nothing else behind them. Cas could do a Thiago Silva / Dunga and play into his mid 30s .. or do a Fabinho and have his form collapse from underneath him. It's a danger at that age, especially given how physically demanding ETH-ball is. Striker is obviously the critical position to fill, but midfield needs adding to and of that age & quality bracket Mount is going to be one of the best that is realistically attainable. Again, there's a reason Klopp has also been after him, Tuchel was an admirer etc.

Unread 01-06-2023, 12:16 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWickstaff
I saw a stat that stated Eriksen is in the top 5 premier league players for distance covered in games?

You tend to go along with the dreary narrative he does not work and is only good with ball at feet.

He is not a crunching tackler but he works hard. You'd think a cross country runner such as The Scottish Player would have higher stats but alas he does not!

Stats
Eriksen is a lovely footballer but he's built like a small boy and has a dicky ticker.

Mount has, as far as i'm aware, a perfectly healthy heart with lovely wide ventricles and strong arteries.

Unread 01-06-2023, 12:20 PM
jem

not every player who you don't notice is carrick, same as not every manager who doesn't win much might be fergie if you give him long enough.

chelsea play a midfield front six and we play 4-2-3-1 in any meaningful coversation. if you want to write a book, maybe consider whether anyone wants to read it.

mount can £#%&! off. he's a nothing player. if he joins, I hope he's world class, obvs.

Unread 01-06-2023, 12:27 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWickstaff

Stats
Mo farah would cover good ground aswell.

Fact is he's sleep walking from about the 39th minute. Offers nothing defensively and is actually abit of a liability in the bigger games during 2nd halfs

Well worth his place and not saying he's shit, but he's at a point where you have to pick and choose where and when to play him. So the profile of Mount makes sense in that regard

Unread 01-06-2023, 12:32 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not every player who you don't notice is carrick, same as not every manager who doesn't win much might be fergie if you give him long enough.

chelsea play a midfield front six and we play 4-2-3-1 in any meaningful coversation. if you want to write a book, maybe consider whether anyone wants to read it.

mount can £#%&! off. he's a nothing player. if he joins, I hope he's world class, obvs.
If one's goal is to strike accord of meaning with the sort of half-wit who bigged up Brexit & considers a 27 year old journeyman who was loaned out at Braga as recently as 2020 before turning in one half good season for a mid table, newly promoted League side, to be the answer to ailments then perhaps.

If one wants to properly assess the merits & demand for a 24 year old who set up the winner in a Champions League final & is seemingly chased by the cream of Europe's progressive managers .. perhaps not. ETH does not now nor has he ever lined up in 4-2-3-1 here.

Time will tell.

Unread 01-06-2023, 01:06 PM
Baron

For the fee being banded about I'm surprised we're letting Mac Allister join the Scousers for ~£50m.

Same age, can play across the midfield, settled - World Cup winner etc. Just a better player.

Unless we're genuinely getting someone like Rice or maybe Caicedo that will play that role of covering the ground further back it's not hugely exciting to me but if ETH wants him & he's a success so be it. I honestly just think of him as a bit lightweight & makes the game a bit prosaic. Robotic sort.

Unread 01-06-2023, 01:09 PM
Sparky***

Giving them £50 mill for a player who's a year from being a free agent and thus helping chelsea balance their books for another summer spending spree pisses me right off.

Unread 01-06-2023, 01:12 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
For the fee being banded about I'm surprised we're letting Mac Allister join the Scousers for ~£50m.

Same age, can play across the midfield, settled - World Cup winner etc. Just a better player.

Unless we're genuinely getting someone like Rice or maybe Caicedo that will play that role of covering the ground further back it's not hugely exciting to me but if ETH wants him & he's a success so be it. I honestly just think of him as a bit lightweight & makes the game a bit prosaic. Robotic sort.
What I'll say to defend Mount (Don't massively rate him)

He's had Lampard as a coach 3 times, Southgate and whatever the last 12 months of Chelsea has been.

When playing in a decent performing side with a competent coach, he was an integral part of winning the champions league.

Pep likes his generic midfield robots who all look and play the same. Maybe Ten Hag is looking for the same

Unread 01-06-2023, 01:15 PM
jem

Quote:
If one's goal is to strike accord of meaning with the sort of half-wit who bigged up Brexit & considers a 27 year old journeyman who was loaned out at Braga as recently as 2020 before turning in one half good season for a mid table, newly promoted League side, to be the answer to ailments then perhaps.

If one wants to properly assess the merits & demand for a 24 year old who set up the winner in a Champions League final & is seemingly chased by the cream of Europe's progressive managers .. perhaps not. ETH does not now nor has he ever lined up in 4-2-3-1 here.

Time will tell.
progressive managers would be very unhappy with the eu.

Unread 01-06-2023, 01:34 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
What I'll say to defend Mount (Don't massively rate him)

He's had Lampard as a coach 3 times, Southgate and whatever the last 12 months of Chelsea has been.

When playing in a decent performing side with a competent coach, he was an integral part of winning the champions league.

Pep likes his generic midfield robots who all look and play the same. Maybe Ten Hag is looking for the same
Klopp wants him too and we've all seen how he's had average players playing like a fine tuned machine.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:05 PM
pedr0

Quote:
ETH does not now nor has he ever lined up in 4-2-3-1 here.
Genuinely baffled by this statement.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:08 PM
tatty

I'm going to assume ETH and his team have identified something in Mount that will move the side forward in a way that other available options may not do.

Still can't see it though.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:20 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Why? We don’t aspire towards playing with dual defensive midfielders or devoted deep lying central midfielders. Ten Hag is Dutch 4-3-3 through and through. It’s how the Cas, Mount, Bruno, Rashers, Anthony + another would fit together. He’s not sticking one of Bruno or Mount in front of a flat back 4.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:28 PM
Ethers

It’s fair to say that the way ETH’s sides have lined up for us don’t really fit standard formations, but I would say that we’re definitely closer to a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-3-3. The 2 in that formation don’t have to be defensive midfielders.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:42 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Why? We don’t aspire towards playing with dual defensive midfielders or devoted deep lying central midfielders. Ten Hag is Dutch 4-3-3 through and through. It’s how the Cas, Mount, Bruno, Rashers, Anthony + another would fit together. He’s not sticking one of Bruno or Mount in front of a flat back 4.
Bruno is clearly more advanced than the other two midfielders.

That front 6 would be suicidal in all but about 10 matches per season

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:46 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Bruno is clearly more advanced than the other two midfielders.

That front 6 would be suicidal in all but about 10 matches per season
I'm confused .. do you think Eriksen provides more of a midfield engine & protection than Mount? Because other than Eriksen for Mount that is and has been (rightly or wrongly) ETH's go-to front 6 almost regardless of level of opposition.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:55 PM
jem

Quote:
because it's not a meaningful conversation. look up our line-up for the last game. it was 4-2-3-1. you can say fred isn't a defensive midfielder and you can say bruno is part of a 3-man midfield, but then you could say dalot got forward a lot too, so we didn't play a back 4. we don't really have formation at all. 4-2-3-1 or write a book. your choice. google the team and it says 4-2-3-1. chat gpt probably has other ideas. progressive nonsense and it won't shut up.

when we played villa at home, people noticed that we played a 3-man midfield instead of the usual 2. deluded nonsense, of course. probably why 10h didn't stick with it. he couldn't. because it wasn't what it was in the first place. smart thinking. no wonder villa couldn't cope with it.

Quote:
It’s how the Cas, Mount, Bruno, Rashers, Anthony + another would fit together.
what a horribly unbalanced team that would be. needs more midfielders.