United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Doctor Hver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Some may consider Mark’s invocation of the Busby Babes and Edwards in particular as a rather crass and distasteful attempt to recapture some goodwill on the forum, after his failure to get marlo, pure etc onto his show.
I thought this thread was serious until I Saw whom was the creator.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Ashtonred has steamed in and side swiped Mark for NCOTY with his generous sponsorship of the"Top 10" competition. Even though he's approached the whole project in the style of a deranged war criminal with acute halitosis - he's brain stormed, innovated, thought outside the box and indeed pushed the envelope.

Mark needs something like a huge Derek Acorah "speak to a dead United legend special" to pull this out of the fire. So to speak.

would be awesome
"sorry Sam, I didn't catch that.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
I, for one, would love to hear some 'beyond the grave bantz' between Eddie Coleman and Frank Swift. Let's face it anyone who wouldn't cannot consider themselves a true Red
my favourite Babe because he reminds me of Eddie Cochran

..not saying he's the spit or anything, maybe it's the quiff & the names being quite similar.
Both top reds in any case.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Except he played 150 odd games for United and lots for arguably the best national team in the world at the time.
Which time specifically? They won one game combined at the 1954 and 58 World Cups.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

would be awesome
"sorry Sam, I didn't catch that.."

..not saying he's the spit or anything, maybe it's the quiff & the names being quite similar.
Both top reds in any case.
Snake hips - he was my brother´s favourute

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:21 PM
jaffo

Quote:

Me too mate

Unread 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
jesus £#%&!ing christ.
Have to agree, tbh. Comparing him with J@&%!zaj is a true "wtf" moment

Unread 05-12-2014, 11:43 PM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Which time specifically? They won one game combined at the 1954 and 58 World Cups.
Probably around the time the US beat us and being so momentous decided to make a £#%&!ing Hollywood film about it 50 years later. 58 World Cup might be difficult one to associate the Busby Babes with...

Unread 06-12-2014, 12:18 AM
kid napper

Quote:
Three utd players couldn't play in 58. Wonder why

Unread 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop

Unread 06-12-2014, 12:41 AM
armchair

Just going to leave this here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Ouija-Board

Unread 06-12-2014, 02:25 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Probably around the time the US beat us and being so momentous decided to make a £#%&!ing Hollywood film about it 50 years later. 58 World Cup might be difficult one to associate the Busby Babes with...
I think what made that win momentous was you got beat by a team of waiters and taxi drivers, so I'm afraid it is quite a good story.

Unread 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
Snake hips - he was my brother´s favourute
The old fella loved Tommy Taylor most, but also obviously Eddie, cos he lived around the corner from him in Hyde St. Always a bit of a fashionista Eddie, and there were always gatherings of the lads at the Colman's because he wasn't in digs being a local lad and his folks used to love having the other players around. Must've been a brilliant time for them with rock n roll in full swing and the potential of the team with already two titles under their belt.

Unread 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Just going to leave this here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Ouija-Board
Maybe I'll do this on XMas day with my neice and nephew. I think it's best to use young children with ouija board as they aren't as likley to try and cheat it

Unread 06-12-2014, 02:56 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Have to agree, tbh. Comparing him with J@&%!zaj is a true "wtf" moment
I haven't watched Mark's video because frankly I am not remotely interested.
For me Bobby Charlton is the 'one true legend' (if such a thing exists) but of course its all subjective.
You could argue that Edwards is the most iconic/romantic figure in the Clubs history.

The various testimonies for Edwards tell me that unquestionably he was a very special player indeed - which makes the comparisons with Januzaj & Torres offensive & idiotic.
Januzaj has done alright on a very erratic basis & did slightly better than that away at Stoke once.
Edwards helped United to back to back Titles, European Cup semi finals, was shortlisted for the Ballon D'or & was a fixture in the England team while still in his teens.
When the likes of Busby, Charlton & Bobby Moore say he's the best ever & that he'd have been captain of both United & England for years to come had it not been for Munich then you have to take note.
Just because these are players & men from a bygone era doesn't mean they know/knew any less about Football ffs .
I trust their opinion.

Of course when somebody dies young they take on mythical status but even if you take that into account Edwards was obviously something £#%&!ing special.

Unread 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I'm sure there are some who would think it was insensitive but have you considered trying to interview him through a medium? I think interviewing dead players might give you the break you're looking for
I am very much in favour of mark interviewing dead players. I think the medium concept is superfluous however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
I, for one, would love to hear some 'beyond the grave bantz' between Eddie Coleman and Frank Swift. Let's face it anyone who wouldn't cannot consider themselves a true Red
disrespectful spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
Death makes us think differently and lament what could have been.

All I am saying is I don't believe it is s given that Edwards would have gone on to be the best etc.
he was the best. not even worth thinking about what could have been.

Quote:
I think what made that win momentous was you got beat by a team of waiters and taxi drivers, so I'm afraid it is quite a good story.
to think there was a time when waiters and taxi drivers actually spoke proper english. another world.

Unread 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
How many of them were actually Yanks, though?

Unread 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
I haven't watched Mark's video because frankly I am not remotely interested.
For me Bobby Charlton is the 'one true legend' (if such a thing exists) but of course its all subjective.
You could argue that Edwards is the most iconic/romantic figure in the Clubs history.

The various testimonies for Edwards tell me that unquestionably he was a very special player indeed - which makes the comparisons with Januzaj & Torres offensive & idiotic.
Januzaj has done alright on a very erratic basis & did slightly better than that away at Stoke once.
Edwards helped United to back to back Titles, European Cup semi finals, was shortlisted for the Ballon D'or & was a fixture in the England team while still in his teens.
When the likes of Busby, Charlton & Bobby Moore say he's the best ever & that he'd have been captain of both United & England for years to come had it not been for Munich then you have to take note.
Just because these are players & men from a bygone era doesn't mean they know/knew any less about Football ffs .
I trust their opinion.

Of course when somebody dies young they take on mythical status but even if you take that into account Edwards was obviously something £#%&!ing special.
Sunderland, pal.
Closed Thread